Netflix Splitting Streaming and Rental Services into Two Companies

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Netflix Splitting Streaming and Rental Services into Two Companies

In a desperate attempt to rebound from falling membership and plummeting stock prices, Netflix is creating Quikster to handle DVD and videogame rentals.

Reed Hastings, the founder and CEO of movie streaming and rental giant Netflix, made a post on his blog late Sunday night announcing a massive restructuring of the business. Netflix will soon be a company that deals only in the media streaming business; the rent-by-mail service long associated with Netflix will be operated by a new company entirely, going by the name of Quikster.

The post makes clear that Hastings believes that the drop in membership and customer backlash at the company's recent price hikes and plan restructuring shows that the two services are hurting each other. "I messed up," he said. "Streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses, with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently."

To make the change more attractive, Quikster will rent not only movies, but will feature an upgraded service that will allow the rental of videogames for the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360. "Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done," said Hastings.

The new company will have a separate website, separate queue, and separate monthly charges, but the price remain the same as the current DVD-only service. Quikster will be headed by Andy Rendich, the current head of the DVD service at Netflix, who plans on keeping the iconic red envelope, albeit with a new logo.

Already, the change is drawing flak from users, who are citing the inability to search both services at the same time, the unnecessary complexity of using two separate services, and the inability to share ratings between Quikster and Netflix as primary concerns, on top of the still-present anger at the price hikes and loss of content.

What with the current feeling of the users, the shakey financial situation, the loss of streaming content, and now a rebranding and massive service change, I can't help but shake the feeling that Netflix's rough patch is far from over.

Source: Netflix Blog [http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html]

Blazingdragoon04

May 22, 2009
Good info to know. I currently don't subscribe to Netflix, but was hoping to once I moved out come spring so I didn't have to pay a lot of money for things like HBO that I barely use.

I do wonder how this is going to affect their sales. Here's hoping they don't croak before I'm able to use them.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I think Netflix's mistake is having the company goal of slowly fading out their physical DVD rental service. Not everyone has a connection strong enough to support the streaming of digital content or the download of digital content in a timely manner.

I was actually considering signing up for Netflix when I moved away to university, but then I read about how they were trying to get rid of their physical DVD rental service (the service I was actually interested in) and decided against it. If their business model was going to be trying to make it harder and harder for me to get a physical rental from them (because the bandwidth here at the dorms can't support streaming of any kind and takes at least half an hour to download files of only a few megabytes) then why should I give them my money?

I think what we're seeing is the result of their want to move away from mailing out physical copies. In their attempt to discourage people from using that service their pissing off everyone by make things unpleasant across the board. I would certainly say that splitting off into two companies is a mistake. Though from what I understand cable companies don't like Netflix since it's muscling in on their turf, so companies like Comcast are working to make the operating costs of Netflix so high it eventually runs them out of business. This might be their efforts finally paying off.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
They missed the point. I switched to blockbuster to try to protest the price hike and found that Netflix is a great service for 2 reasons. First streaming is ridiculously important to add on every subscription. Also the very fast and accurate shipping. Blockbuster had blurays and games but that is worthless without streaming and quick shipping.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
I'll have to agree they were killing themselves trying to have both physical and streaming since they were essentially competing against each other after the split and price hike, everyone I know who had netflix dropped one service simply due to the cost, maybe splitting the sides along with restructuring will allow them to pick back up I did enjoy the service when I had it and do plan on picking it back up since it really is quite cheap even at the new price point I rented a few movies from the local store 12.30 for 4 movies for 2 nights. Of course this move probably won't win back any of the people who left due to the price increase but I don't think anything besides the almost unheard of price drop would bring them back and even that seems iffy.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
I think Netflix's mistake is having the company goal of slowly fading out their physical DVD rental service. Not everyone has a connection strong enough to support the streaming of digital content or the download of digital content in a timely manner.
Unfortunately for them (and the people who use their physical rental). Getting things mailed to you is becoming harder and harder. In the US, they still use the USPS. The USPS has been leaking money like a sieve, and is constantly having to raise rates and cancel delivery dates during the week. Snail mail is dead and it's slowly killing the regular mail system with it.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Dear Netflix,

Nice try but we're honestly not that stupid.

Signed,
A soon to be cancelled Netflix user

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
FelixG said:
Ahh the dumb get dumber...

"Hey everyone hated us because we fucked everything up once, lets do it AGAIN! This will make them happy, right? Right..?"

And the whole "hey nao we rentz gamez!" idea is kind of interesting... until you consider that they will probably charge more still for that.

Now, if netflix offered game streaming like Onlive, now THAT might make the streaming version worth while!
Resist the Cloud. Resist Onlive.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FelixG said:
Ahh the dumb get dumber...

"Hey everyone hated us because we fucked everything up once, lets do it AGAIN! This will make them happy, right? Right..?"
Well, surely if one stupid and controversial decision didn't work, the solution is another!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Guys who are crying and are butt hurt over this, im sorry to tell you, but other them that dvd that is hard to find, i can get any new release from red box for a dollar a day RIGHT NOW, i don't have to wait three or four days, longer if i ask for them in the weakened.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
StraightToHeck said:
an alternative to Gamefly's crappy service? YES PLEASE!!!
The announcement only named the Wii, 360 and PS3, though. No handhelds or previous gen games.

Personally, I think I'm willing to stay with a slower service with a larger library.

Apr 28, 2008
Will the current DVD subscriptions carry over to the new company, or do we need to cancel our Netflix ones, and then make a new one at this Quikster place?

TJ Johnston

Apr 1, 2010
This is a dumb idea on Netflix's part. That sound you hear has got to be their stock falling through the floor.

Also... it's Qwikster. With a W.

And I think that's part of the problem.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I only subscribe to netflix streaming now because of the economics of the situation. I can get a movie or game for $1 a night at a redbox. Selection is not as good as netflix but for the most part fulfills my needs. At $8 a month for DVD by mail,that means I need to get at least watch 9 movies a month by DVD from netflix to make it worthwhile compared to redbox. That doesn't happen at all. At best there is a 3 business day turnaround for each DVD if I watch it the day I get it and mail it out the next day. That means I need 27 business days in a month to get my money's worth. That just doesn't happen. Streaming I do great with, but that's because I love watching the older tv shows.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Provided that qwikster has some way of notifying it's Netflix members when a DVD in their queue is available for streaming, this seems like great news for DVD by mail subscribers (provided the gaming service is reasonably priced)

As a streaming only member I still feel that I'm unapologetically getting the shaft.