Netflix's Marco Polo Review: Fish Out of Water

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Netflix's Marco Polo Review: Fish Out of Water

Marco Polo fails to be Game of Thrones, but improves as it finds itself.

Read Full Article

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
I watched the 5 episodes of the show and didn't think it was that bad of a time. I know critically it's getting shit on, yet it has a relatively positive following amongst viewers. Unfortunately for the show, I started it and Peaky Blinders at the same time, and so far Blinders is winning the competition for my time.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
natenate95 said:
I watched the 5 episodes of the show and didn't think it was that bad of a time. I know critically it's getting shit on, yet it has a relatively positive following amongst viewers. Unfortunately for the show, I started it and Peaky Blinders at the same time, and so far Blinders is winning the competition for my time.
Agreed. My wife and I are about 2/3 of the way through, and have actually been enjoying it quite a bit (it's no House of Cards or Game of Thrones, but it's not nearly as bad as critics are making it out to be). This just seems to be one of those shows that has a large gulf between critics and viewers.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
natenate95 said:
I think it's so criticially shit on because critics start out with thinking that it is or is trying to be like game of thrones, and things get much better for it whenever they stop thinking of it that way. Even this review does the same thing. It's not game of thrones, and never looked at all like it. If anything, it compares more accurately with the Tudors or the Borgias.

A fun set piece where we get to see some historical area with fancy sets and dresses.

And some sex too, cause why not? Even though the sex isn't very good here, it was still fun and served as a good set piece. The harem scene especially seemed (to me at least) to be less about sex, and more showing off the excesses that a western audience might have of a harem, more than how a harem might actually function.

But nowhere did I see it try to be a game of thrones. So I'm still wondering why every critic mentions it to start, because it inevitable leads to disappointment.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I liked it.
It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's still a solid series.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
Have to agree with the guys above. Marco Polo is more comparable to other drama series loosely based on historical events/persons. Jumping to GoT-comparisons just because there is some sex, violence and intrigue in is pretty cheap.
My boyfriend and I were perfectly entertained by it and are hoping for more.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
This is another one of those shows that isn't liked within critics but most sources I find are individuals finding it very enjoyable. One of the neatest things about this show is that, despite him being on the promotional poster and his NAME being the name of the show, Marco himself takes a sideline to most things. Yes, he's first in line to attack the main villain of the show but then gets his ass kicked while the more skilled PoC actually step in to get things done. It's nice to mix it up.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'm about halfway through and I'm enjoying it pretty well. I find it to be a lot easier to watch than some of the other Netflix originals.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Its no Game of Thrones but i binged watched them all and its up there with Game of Thrones but the BIG diff is that game of thrones has magic and dragons. Marco Polo is somewhat over the top history so abit unfair to compare. Dont know why its getting so much shit i loved it.Dont know what this poor first half your speaking of. Some one needs to stop comparing it to Game of Thrones.