Neutral Drow reviews: A Drug That Makes You Dream

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
[img_inline align="center" caption="Drugs, bullying, and interpersonal relationships"]http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9053/yumemirukusuri.jpg[/img_inline]​

First off, I really, really don't like that subtitle. Yes, it's supposed to be a succinct hint towards the focus of each of the three routes, but there's a line between succinctness and oversimplification. That subtitle not only crosses that line, but it gives an entirely undeserved shallow impression with regards to the game, an impression I remember having when I first bought it (which didn't dull my interest, natch). Hell, I've finished the game, and I'm still not even sure what "interpersonal relationships" is supposed to mean.

Secondly, this game has one of the most amusing License Agreements I've ever read. Most EULAs communicate things along the lines of "this is our property, we have a say in how it's used" and "don't pirate our software, and we'll stop sharpening our machetes" and the like. Peach Princess' License Agreement, on the other hand, can be paraphrased as follows:

"This is a work of fiction dealing with relationships and sex. As such, it might not reflect reality, and probably won't encompass all the intricacies of building actual sexual and love relationships. Please do not take this game as inspiration for such, and for the love of God, please practice safe sex."

In the context of this particular game, that EULA is ironic in several ways, but I digress.

<color=white>Line break.

Kouhei Kagami is a high school student, living with an adoptive family and coasting through life. His relationship with his father, mother, and younger sister is...cordial at best, and he's never been particularly close to them. He works a part-time job and is a reputed honor student at school, simply because it's the easy thing to do. He's an utterly transparent person and knows it very well, and the sheer monotony of his life is expressed through his frequent auditory hallucination of a train, endlessly rolling down a track.

But not for long.

One after the other, three people enter his life. Aeka Shiraki, the omega in the classroom hierarchy and a frequent victim of bullies. Mizuki Kirimiya, the talented student council president and an all-around slacker. And Cat Sidhe Nekoko, a strange girl come seemingly out of nowhere and a self-proclaimed seeker of the "fairy homeland." Each seems to exist apart from the empty reality Kouhei lives in, but each has problems of their own to deal with.

Can Kouhei reach out to these three girls...and in return find his own salvation?

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one. Sure, the concept had been lingering in the back of my mind ever since I bought it, but ultimately, I just knew that this was the other game I knew very little about...specifically, I knew about three glowing reviews on GameFAQs and the recommendation of the guy working the J-List booth. Still, after <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703>that horrible VN I last reviewed, I was willing to settle for just about anything.

And holy crap, is this game is like settling for a cheeseburger and receiving filet mignon, instead. Let's get started.

Gameplay

Once again, a visual novel (specifically, an eroge visual novel). You read the story, and occasional choices pop up. Said choices affect your relationship with other characters and influence the direction of the story, leading ultimately to one of seven endings.

Because of the comparatively little exposition that isn't already woven into the narrative (and almost total lack of possible death), this particular eroge is closer to the dating sim variety than the CyoA format (like, say, the TYPE-MOON games), though it also lacks the stat system and mutability of a true dating sim. In particular, the relationship points gained in the first half of the game determine who's scenario you're on (if anyone's), but the second half is governed by making the right decisions.

Except that one of these can get you laid...on the right route.

Early decision. Not an earth-shaking one.

The game also surprised me with its difficulty. Granted, it's not as hard as, say, Fate/Stay Night (where a single misstep can kill you and everyone you ever loved), but getting the happy endings in this game is made more difficult by the fact that, with one exception, there are no premature game overs, so you won't know you got a given heroine's bad ending until the end of the game. Further, each scenario has some exacting requirements for the good endings; Mizuki's route in particular has a lot of choices to make, some of which aren't obvious. Nekoko's has two decisions in particular that absolutely have to be made correctly. And even Aeka's scenario has a single decision that's very easy to trip over!

Did I mention the game's handy quicksave feature?

For the love of all that's good and holy, don't go outside!

<color=white>Line Break.
Story

The story in this game is very good. That sentence is the result of five hours of careful thought. I'm so eloquent.

Each of the game's three routes provide an interesting dichotomy. The story is rather lighthearted in tone, to begin with, and I was surprised that it could get pretty funny at times...which makes the contrast to the later parts all the more stark. Make no mistake, this game is dark, sometimes astoundingly so. Much as I'm not fond of the game's subtitle, I will admit that it hints very strongly towards the ultimate themes of social ostracism, suicidal depression, existential despair, and desperate escapism. Not to mention the game's sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant, always highly critical stance on conformity...

Despite that, I'd be lying if I claimed this was a straight-up angstfest. Indeed, even in Aeka's route, the darkest and most emotional of the game's scenarios, focused as it is on the victim of Japanese bullying*, there wasn't as much angst as I might have expected. Mizuki's and Nekoko's routes (the "interpersonal" and "drugs" scenarios), on the other hand, are almost totally devoid. Not to say the game lacks emotional response, though, far from it. The response just varies.

i can haz cheezburger?

Character establishing shot: mooching off of Kouhei

Note, however, that all bets are off when it comes to the endings. There are seven possible endings in the game, including happy and unhappy endings for each of the three main girls. Eloquent as it sounds, the happy endings tend to very much so (and, despite Tolstoy's insistence, happy families, and endings, are not all alike), and the unhappy endings tend to be massive downers...with one possible bittersweet exception, which is open to interpretation...

Okay, so that's a bit of a misnomer. Still, bullying is, in fact, a major problem in Japanese schools. In addition to universal symptoms of victimization, there are also the strong collectivist cultural biases against standing out and in favor of settling one's own problems within one's in-group (which, sadly, also ties into cases of intra-familial abuse). This tends to lead to situations of "blaming the victim" that, while certainly not unique to Japan, are nonetheless distressingly common there. Aeka's route, naturally, goes into this idea in some detail.

One of the criticisms I've seen of that particular scenario is how over-the-top the abuse Aeka suffers (and how unlikely the apathy of those around her) seems to be. I found it all disturbingly real.
More colloquially, a -What the christ?!- rank on the Fucked Up Shit-o-Meter.

Clandestine tasing. 6/10 on the abuse scale. And yes, it does get worse.
<color=white>Line Break.
Characters

First, a note on White Knight syndrome: the perfect or near-perfect protagonist who "rescues" girls from their problems, which is a staple of many genres of eroge. When done right, this can give a game a clear sense of direction while not adversely affecting the plot. Done poorly, however, and it comes off as condescending and trite, and seriously harms the story. Either way, it's difficult putting meaningful characterization on a character who is too blatantly a player avatar (in the case of dating sims, though, I guess this doesn't matter).

Kouhei is a rather unusual protagonist, especially for this game's premise, in that he doesn't really fit that staple. While he's decently intelligent and bland by his own admission (most of which is unfounded self-deprecation), he's hardly an exemplar of well-adjustedness. In fact, this leads to one of the more effective aspects of his character; while he certainly does "save" Nekoko, Aeka, or Mizuki, it's not his strength of character but his flaws that draw him to the similarly-troubled girls and allow him to identify and fall in love with them. Nor are the relationships one-sided affairs; as Kouhei affects, so is he strongly affected by the love and actions of the girl he ends up with...even if she has to haul him bodily out of his complacency*. In fact, Kouhei is easily matched in characterization by the game's heroines. Aeka's sweet and spacey attitude, Mizuki's lazy capriciousness, and Nekoko's sheer energy, while they aren't really facades, do bely the hidden depths of their characters.

Two members of the supporting cast deserve full mention, as well, but since my creativity is once more running low, I'll just give them passing mention. Aya, Kouhei's adopted younger sister, is a surprisingly likable and important character. Now, if you're familiar with Japanese eroge at all, your head is probably still ringing with alarm bells at the phrase "adopted younger sister." There certainly are hints (Aya's got a rather tsundere attitude towards Kouhei, and he's initiated...semi-inappropriate situations) that that she could have been a love interest, but the game actually goes the realistic route. Instead, the hints simply serve to highlight Kouhei's disconnection from reality and Aya's worry and desire to be closer to him (but as family, not lovers). Then there's Tsubaki Hirofumi, Kouhei's sempai at work, who serves alternately as friend, reliable source of advice, and flirtatious annoyance (he's gay, just not stereotypically so). Since he's also a huge fan of eroge, his advice tends to be sound and humorously self-aware.

Of course, not every character has to be likable to be effective. Aeka's scenario, dealing as it is with bullying, is the only route with true antagonists (no, the yakuza Nekoko tends to piss off don't count), and they certainly succeed at being antagonizing. Kyoka Nanjou, the popular girl for whom Aeka is a favorite whipping girl and stress relief, is especially successful in this role, but I don't want to get too into particulars. Not because they're spoilers or anything (though some are), but simply because thinking about the particulars makes me sick.

EVERY CELL OF MY BEING SCREAMS IN DEFIANCE OF YOU, SHE-DEVIL OF THE BLACKEST ABYSS!

Evil. (artist's rendition)

Incidentally, that alt text is outdated, written when I was 1/3 of the way through the game. Eventually, even the English language simply runs out of words to describe pure loathing.

Nowhere is this give-and-take more poignant than in the seventh ending, the premature game over you get if Kouhei doesn't grow close to (or actively drives away) any of the girls. Their stories end very badly, but Kouhei's continues, as he gets to spend the rest of his bland life more-or-less peacefully...a peace spiked with the knowledge and regret that something could have happened, but he chose for it not to.

In any case, I'm seriously glad I didn't see this ending until finishing the rest of the game, since there's surprisingly a pair of gigantic spoilers in it.

<color=white>Line Break.
Technical

This is a "text box at bottom of the screen" style visual novel, contrasting the full screen style of Tsukihime. I think both styles have different names in Japanese (one is technically "adventure game" style), but I can't recall which is which. There's some occasional typos, but nothing too widespread (and I think there's a patch for those).

The game's art quality is pretty good. Backgrounds in particular are easy on the eyes, and the CG gallery is fun to browse. I did find something...off, with the character design. Well, the character sprites, at least (the CGs were fine). Still, I'm not sure what it was, and whatever it was wasn't distracting for too long, so a passing grade nonetheless.

Side note: For an H-game protagonist, Kouhei's actually in a lot of these CGs.

Maybe it's her hair.

The English translation of the game retains the Japanese voiceovers, which is great, since the voice acting is superb. The seiyuu for the game's heroines in particular pull off wonderfully characteristic performances, whether it be Aeka's soft-spoken fragility, Mizuki's coy, often deadpan delivery, or Nekoko's forthright, almost manic nature; this is besides those instances of extra character depth, whether Aeka's anger, Mizuki's worried contrition, or Nekoko's...well, don't want to give too much away. Aya's and Tsubaki's voices fit their characters particularly well, too, and Kyoka's voice was delightfully unendearing. Most other voices besides Kouhei's parents (especially male voices) tend to be exaggerated for effect, whether humor or tragedy. Gaito in particular speaks with such an over-the-top drawl, it's almost comical...if he weren't every bit the violent thug his voice implies.

As a side note, Kouhei himself is the only unvoiced character in the game. It seems to be the game's only concession towards making him a player character...and it actually works pretty well.

The soundtrack is a similarly well-done affair, mostly in piano, acoustic guitar, and synth. In particular, the ambiance tracks have a light jazz feel to them, and the unique themes (the deeply emotional <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdzP5SF0We8>On the Moonlit Rooftop, the light and airy <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXgQzf4cCE>Girls Are Made of Frosting Cake, and the swinging <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_VVuiuZa8>The Catgirl Stomped) add even more character to their respective storylines.

<color=white>Line Break!
Ero

Yes, since this is an eroge, that means sex. And boy howdy is there a lot of it in this game. It was actually astounding how much they packed in. Aeka's route has the lowest amount, consisting of four scenes (all involving intercourse), which is a bit on the high side for a plot-heavy game like this. Mizuki's route has the highest, consisting of eight scenes (six involving intercourse), more than in the entirety of Fate/Stay Night!

Sad to say, this does work against the game a bit. The scenes during Nekoko's scenario (six total, five involving intercourse) in particular tended to feel really out-of-place. Only one or two could be considered important to the story, though to be fair, most of the others at least had some humor value in the leadup. Aeka fares slightly better, with two definitely important scenes, one arguably important scene, and one totally unnecessary scene. As for the almost insatiably horny Mizuki...oddly enough, I'd actually say all of her sex scenes are important in a way. Weird, I know, but trust me, it actually winds up making sense.

As for the quality of the scenes themselves...I'm a notoriously uncritical judge. Basically, as long it's not fetishistic, non-consensual, or lacking in pathos, I generally won't mind any given scene, and none of the ones in this game broke those rules in any appreciable way (though again, Nekoko came close). Hell, one or two even had me in tears.

Side note: if you're not used listening to Japanese hentai voiceovers, these scenes might sound kind of strange. Just a warning. In any case, if sex is a deterrent, then that's what the game's handy fast-forward feature is for. And if it's not a deterrent at all, that's what the auto-play feature is for.

I wouldn't recommend skipping past the drunken sex in the student council office, though. Mostly because it's disturbingly amusing. Just remember, when the choice pops up, effort on your part is appreciated. Just some advice.

<color=white>Line break!
Verdict

Well, we're here. I've struggled to keep my sentimentality in check and myself objective...but really, I figured there was something wrong when I felt relief that there was something in the game I could complain about, just so people could take me seriously. Therefore, the review is essentially finished, so I'm going to officially abandon objectivity from here on out.

I love this game.

I seriously have not played anything else that provoked the sheer amount and variety of emotional responses that this game produced in me, including a few I don't have names for. Creeping dread, crushing despair, tearful relief, savage joy, bitter depression, awestruck wonder, loving empathy, inarticulate rage and utter hatred (see: Kyoka), deep shock, bittersweet satisfaction, growing suspicion, calm contentment, hell, even fatherly pride (of Kouhei) at one point...and three different shades of pure happiness.

Aeka's route in particular was spectacularly written, its resolution both horrifying and satisfying in a way I found slightly shocking, and its ending the happy memory that allowed me to move on to the other routes without feeling like a monster for ignoring her.

Mizuki's unhappy ending (which I did stumble onto) hit like a punch in the gut and lingered like a stab wound the more I thought of it...but her happy ending is the most heartwarming thing I've ever read. I actually walked around distracted most of the next day, so touched was I.

In a way, Nekoko's arc felt like the weakest...which didn't dent it much. Nekoko is still pretty entertaining, herself. I was particularly enamored after the twist most of the way through, which I totally did not see coming, but which ultimately made me love her along with the others. As well, her happy ending went with a cute sort of happiness that I found delightful.

The only thing preventing this game from overtaking Tsukihime and/or Fate/Stay Night as my new favorite visual novel is my love of supernatural elements, nostalgic bonds, and the sheer volume of the Nasuverse and its characters. As is, I'm rambling, so I'll cut off here.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot to mention availability. I'm still not sure where to physically buy copies of games like these, but since this is an officially translated (not fan-translated) game, it's available online. Peach Princess has it available for download or shipping, and I've seen copies up on Amazon, too.

Next Review:

TYPE-MOON reviews: Kagetsu Tohya
Tsukihime's sorta-sequel and fun-filled canon romp.

TYPE-MOON reviews:

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.128851-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Tsukihime>Tsukihime
--- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.142352-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Shingetsutan-Tsukihime-anime>Shingetsutan Tsukihime (anime)
--- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.145022-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Lunar-Legend-Tsukihime-manga>Lunar Legend Tsukihime (manga)
- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.139628-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Kagetsu-Tohya>Kagetsu Tohya
- <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.230960-TYPE-MOON-Reviews-Melty-Blood>Melty Blood
--- Re-Act/Act Cadenza
--- Actress Again

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.223721-TYPE-MOON-Review-anniversary-Fate-Stay-Night>Fate/Stay Night
--- Fate/Stay Night (anime)
----- Unlimited Blade Works
--- Fate/Stay Night (manga)
- Fate/Unlimited Codes
- Fate/Zero

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.304952-TYPE-MOON-Review-Anniversary-Kara-no-Kyoukai>Kara no Kyokai

Speculative: Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Fate/Extra, Notes, DDD.

Neutral Drow reviews:

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.130703-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Xchange>Xchange
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.135672-Neutral-Drow-reviews-A-Drug-That-Makes-You-Dream>A Drug That Makes You Dream
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.146260-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Heart-de-Roommate>Heart de Roommate
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.163769-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Kanon>Kanon
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.148564-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Little-My-Maid>Little My Maid
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.206764-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Kana-Little-Sister>Kana: Little Sister
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.252998-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Princess-Waltz>Princess Waltz
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.237875-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Crescendo>Crescendo
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.308335-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Symphonic-Rain>Symphonic Rain
Hourglass of Summer
Tokimeki Check-in
Casual Romance Club
True Love
Clannad
Family Project
Snow Sakura
The Sagara Family
Snow Drop
Brave Soul
Doushin - Same Heart
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo
Da Capo
Da Capo II
Kira Kira
Yo-Jin-Bo
Sekien no Inganock
Wanko to Kuroso
My Girlfriend is the President
Sharin no Kuni
Cross Channel
Wind: A Breath of Heart
Brass Restoration
Ever17
Remember11
Ori Ochi Onoe
Shuffle
One
G-Senjou no Maou
Gadget Trail
Swan Song
Eien no Aselia
Phantom of Inferno
Kikokugai
River Trap
Autumn
Sengoku Rance
Daibanchou
ef
Neko Kawaigari
Adam: The Double Factor
Edelweiss
AoiShiro

Speculative: Air, Galaxy Angel, Yu-No, Sumaga, Suika, Shimai Donburi, 11eyes, Ashita no Kimi to Au Tami ni

Kinetic reviews:

Narcissu
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
True Remembrance
Leaves
The Dandelion Girl
Tokoyo no Hoshizora

Off-Topic reviews:

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.151706-Lightning-Warrior-Raidy-a-Lordlee-and-Neutral-Drow-review>Lightning Warrior Raidy (collab. w/Lordlee)
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.158447-Off-Topic-Reviews-Devil-May-Cry-series>Devil May Cry series
- Devil May Cry 4 addendum
- DMC addendum
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.178061-Off-Topic-Reviews-Soulbringer>Soulbringer
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.194259-Off-Topic-Reviews-Ragnarok>Ragnarok
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.272426-Off-Topic-Reviews-Suguri>Suguri
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.385549-Off-Topic-Reviews-Ristar>Ristar
????
????

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Thats a fine review, and it sounds like an interesting game.
too bad it's eroge, otherwise I'd consider looking into it... even though it has fast foward.
I wouldn't want to give people ideas about me, so I'll have to miss it.
I do like multiple choice games though. seem quite fun to see where you can end up.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Awesome review. I always wonder where people buy these games though. I think I have to check Demonoid right now...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I have to say that this review is really good, with a nice picture-to-text ratio. I'm sorta confused as to why you don't center the other pictures (I suppose I'm just a massive fan of centering in general :D.)

I like the sound of this game: I'll add it to the list of stuff I have to buy once I run out of other stuff to play.

A funny thing is that riht now in college I'm taking a class in Interactive Narrative: and one of the options for the class project was to make a visual novel game. Alas, neither me nor my partner have any art skills, so we're going to make a MUD instead (think the Escapist's own Phantom of the Arcade.)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Thats a fine review, and it sounds like an interesting game.
too bad it's eroge, otherwise I'd consider looking into it... even though it has fast foward.
I wouldn't want to give people ideas about me, so I'll have to miss it.
I do like multiple choice games though. seem quite fun to see where you can end up.
I'll keep that in mind. Eventually, I'm going to get to a non-ero visual novel called Hourglass of Summer...

Zeon_1992 said:
Hmmm. Going to have to hunt this down. Nice job on the review!
Emphraim said:
Awesome review. I always wonder where people buy these games though. I think I have to check Demonoid right now...
*smacks self* Gah, I can't believe I forgot about that!

Well, I bought this game from the guys working the J-List booth at San Diego Comic Con. I'd send you to their website, but frankly, their site freaks me the hell out. Unless you're going the torrent route (can't help you there), I'd recommend either just using Amazon, or going directly to Peach Princess' site (it's available as physical copy or download). The site is a little NSFW, but at least it only has bishoujo games, not...other things. >_>

xmetatr0nx said:
I bookmarked this last night to re read again. Im going to be upfront and say this really isnt my type of game and i probably wont play it. I just had to throw some appreciation on this review, its very well done. Great job!
It's definitely a niche appeal, especially outside Japan. Still, it's gratifying to know I wrote a successful review even in light of that. Thanks!

scotth266 said:
I have to say that this review is really good, with a nice picture-to-text ratio. I'm sorta confused as to why you don't center the other pictures (I suppose I'm just a massive fan of centering in general :D.)
Oh good. I was actually worried about cluttering, since there were others I'd been planning to use. Size was also a weird point; I wanted to keep the text readable, but the image captures felt too large at first...

As for centering...I'm not really sure. I like centering the opening image, since using that with the inline caption seems to make it fit better. Centering the body images makes me feel like I'm leaving too much open space, especially with the bolded caption (can't use the inline captions, either, since that seems to interfere with the alt text...).

A funny thing is that riht now in college I'm taking a class in Interactive Narrative: and one of the options for the class project was to make a visual novel game. Alas, neither me nor my partner have any art skills, so we're going to make a MUD instead (think the Escapist's own Phantom of the Arcade.)
More creative than me. I'd probably resort to poorly-done stick figures and try to pass it off as irony!

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Well damn, a couple weeks after I finish the game I stumble on this review. Nice and thorough, but I feel the need to nitpick one thing: the songs you attached to two of the characters. It's true that on the Moonlit Rooftop and Where is Fairyland are exclusive to Aeka and Nekoko's routes respectively, but those aren't the songs that come to mind as being those girls' "themes." In fact both of them play only once during specific events, rather than on a consistent basis like Girls are made of Frosting and Cake did during Mizuki's route. The Catgirl Stomped plays constantly when Nekoko is around, and the title makes it pretty clear it's a song for Nekoko. It's less straightforward with Aeka, but given how often Heretics and Dreamers played during that route compared to the other two it might as well be her song.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Well damn, a couple weeks after I finish the game I stumble on this review. Nice and thorough, but I feel the need to nitpick one thing: the songs you attached to two of the characters. It's true that on the Moonlit Rooftop and Where is Fairyland are exclusive to Aeka and Nekoko's routes respectively, but those aren't the songs that come to mind as being those girls' "themes." In fact both of them play only once during specific events, rather than on a consistent basis like Girls are made of Frosting and Cake did during Mizuki's route. The Catgirl Stomped plays constantly when Nekoko is around, and the title makes it pretty clear it's a song for Nekoko. It's less straightforward with Aeka, but given how often Heretics and Dreamers played during that route compared to the other two it might as well be her song.
I didn't mention "Where is the Fairyland" at all. Nekoko's arc was the last one I finished, so it was the last BGM I collected. Considering that was only after listening to "The Catgirl Stomped" for who knows how long, I knew which one was more iconic of her.

But thanks for catching me on "Heretics and Dreamers." I love that theme, but I couldn't for the life of me remember how often it showed up, and for who...and I think I may have written that part of the review after playing the "Aeka: Cry From the Heart" event for the second time.

Can't blame me for having "On the Moonlit Rooftop" at the front of my mind in that case, right...?

It only shows up once, but since it does seem pretty iconic of the route as a whole, I think I'll leave that as part of the review. Still, I really should upload Heretics to youtube, too.

EDIT: <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK5fJapIY0>Done.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I'm actually quite surprised how easy to read this review was, given the somewhat daunting length. I've never heard of/played any of these "eroge" games and generally have very little interest in them, but stuck with it since the occasional first person voice really kept the review flowing smoothly.

Also...

The story in this game is very good. That sentence is the result of five hours of careful thought. I'm so eloquent.
I'm stealing that line whenever I spend more than ten minutes trying to describe a movie's plot in my review.

Hope you don't mind. :)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Maet said:
I'm actually quite surprised how easy to read this review was, given the somewhat daunting length. I've never heard of/played any of these "eroge" games and generally have very little interest in them, but stuck with it since the occasional first person voice really kept the review flowing smoothly.
It's hard being one's own editor, sometimes. Considering how long it took to write (I've been working on this review for a few days) due to writer's block, I'm actually surprised it turned out as long as it did.

Also...

I'm stealing that line whenever I spend more than ten minutes trying to describe a movie's plot in my review.

Hope you don't mind. :)
I would be simultaneously amused and honored.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
It only shows up once, but since it does seem pretty iconic of the route as a whole, I think I'll leave that as part of the review. Still, I really should upload Heretics to youtube, too.

EDIT: <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK5fJapIY0>Done.
Right on, that song is god-tier BGM.

Say, was it just me or did you feel like the game tries to push players into the Aeka route? I got that impression because most of the early choices are along the lines of "hey, Aeka could use a hand here" "want to eat lunch on the roof with Aeka?" "Hey, Aeka's over there, you should go talk to her."

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Say, was it just me or did you feel like the game tries to push players into the Aeka route? I got that impression because most of the early choices are along the lines of "hey, Aeka could use a hand here" "want to eat lunch on the roof with Aeka?" "Hey, Aeka's over there, you should go talk to her."
It didn't really feel like that to me, no. There's the standard "heroine introduction" choices (Aeka's lunch order, Mizuki's council business, and feeding Nekoko) and the follow-up choices (giving Aeka a hand, helping Mizuki in the council room on Sunday, feeding Nekoko again). Beyond that, though, there's a bunch of "either or" choices that affect a certain girl over another; not going up to the roof means you wind up eating in the cafeteria with Mizuki, not going shopping with Aeka means you wind up running from yakuza alongside Nekoko, etc., at least until it's certain you're on a given girl's scenario.

I think it might seem like the game forces you because the choices affecting her are the most obvious ones (besides all the "go to the student council room" choices). That particular Nekoko one (and the one if you go out with ***** Que--um...Kyoka) caught me totally off-guard.

Well...that, and it's really obvious right off the bat that Aeka is suffering a lot. Seriously, I felt like a monster the first time I didn't help her to her feet. And I think the game realizes just how affecting that is; did you notice how hers is the only route to receive closure if you're not on it? Felt to me like the game was saying "okay, you can stop feeling guilty and move on, now."

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
This review was so awesome that I'm thinking about buying the game. I'll get a few odd looks but f*ck them, right?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Jester Lord said:
This review was so awesome that I'm thinking about buying the game. I'll get a few odd looks but f*ck them, right?
Bah, this game won't get you odd looks.

Now <url=http://www.pcrdist.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/horny_bunnies_game_78.jpg>this game would get you odd looks. Primarily from me.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

Now <url=http://www.pcrdist.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/horny_bunnies_game_78.jpg>this game would get you odd looks. Primarily from me.
Why do you tease me with broken links?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

Sorry. Worked for me. Here.

I've heard it's not too bad (at least, it's supposed to be rape-free), but still. The fifteen minutes I played of the second game drove me away.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Jester Lord said:

Sorry. Worked for me. Here.

I've heard it's not too bad (at least, it's supposed to be rape-free), but still. The fifteen minutes I played of the second game drove me away.
Why do you judge one game by its sequel? Come on, at least give it a chance.