Never Stink Again: New Kickstarter Aims to Market Deodorant for Gamers

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Never Stink Again: New Kickstarter Aims to Market Deodorant for Gamers

A new Kickstarter campaign is pushing a product for smelly gamers: Gamer Deodorant.

The staff here at The Escapist was caught off guard today by the announcement of a new Kickstarter campaign, but it's not for a nostalgic game, or a new VR headset. Nope, it's crowdfunding support for a brand new deodorant aimed at making gamers smell better [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1185964177/plus-5-the-ultimate-gaming-deodorant].

The deodorant is named "Plus 5," and the initial scent is "Charisma."

What did our staff think of it? Here are some choice quotes:

"Deodorant named after an ability buff to target gamers? Next thing you know they are going to start naming body spray after medieval weapons." - Alexander Macris, Co-Founder & Publisher

"If this is what it takes, this is what we need to do." - Josh Vanderwall, Editor-in-Chief

"I've been trying to come up with something witty to say, but my brain won't stop thinking about the potential DLC." - Liz Finnegan, Senior Editor

"I'm not really interested in +5 to Charisma. It's my dump stat. Why not +5 Strength?" - Ron Whitaker, Senior Editor

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Because the people this is aimed towards were just waiting for a whimsical gaming reference on a hygiene product to get themselves to start caring about such things. Right?

...right?

Still, I suppose it's marginally better than Gamer Grub [https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/10/03/this-is-why-they-hate-us].

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
But... why?

I actually can't grasp the concept here. It's just regular deodorant with a different name, so it's not even being sold on a unique concept. For all we know they could be filling the tubes with "essence of shit". Since we can't smell it ourselves and deodorant is largely personal preference, this is a terrible thing to kickstart.

I can't believe I wrote that much about a product I essentially already own.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
FINALLY!

I've been sitting around smelling like BO for years because no one ever made a deodorant for me.

Although now I'm curious what "Charisma" smells like. I bet it smells like how I think Ryan Reynolds smells (which is a combination of awesome and happiness and drop dead sexy).

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Why do I feel like the Big Bang Theory writers thought this up?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
PsychicTaco115 said:
I doubt it. It doesn't come with a laugh track that plays after every line you say.

OT: Use deodorant every day even if I'm not going out. Don't need this crap.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Kibeth41 said:
The Enquirer said:
But... why?

I actually can't grasp the concept here. It's just regular deodorant with a different name, so it's not even being sold on a unique concept. For all we know they could be filling the tubes with "essence of shit". Since we can't smell it ourselves and deodorant is largely personal preference, this is a terrible thing to kickstart.

I can't believe I wrote that much about a product I essentially already own.
I was on a Games Art course for 4 years. The people I've seen on that course just scare me.

Trust me.. Gamers need to take the hint, and wear deodorant.
I really don't think anyone would dispute that...but the only people I can think of who will fund this is people like us who go "chyeah some of these people really need it!" and give a penny for giggles

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
I have known and lived with too many people, that will even go out of their way to buy hygiene products and literally never touch them, to have any sort of remote faith in this. :p

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
A bit much, no?

While it's nice that gaming is big enough these days that companies would even think of us as a demographic, it's just too cringy sometimes.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I already have a favourite deodorant.
Am confused mostly; Why do hygiene products need kick-starting now? No one can know what it smells like, how effective it is. How tested the formula is at not melting your skin off. I get hygiene products as and when are needed, and there is already far too much choice to even consider potentially funding the mere future possibility of a new gimmicky one. This seems...nonsensical. Like...kickstarting a product for an oversaturated market doesn't seem like it would be successful to me, i thought kickstarter was for funding quite the opposite.
Eh, there's probably enough hipsters out there with enough spare currency for "the lolz" or whatever it is that fuels them. Then again, most my social circle aren't really gamers, so have no idea what the predominant hygiene quality is within the subculture. Maybe this is for the parents to encourage their kids. Haha! Oops.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Why? I have deodorant. This doesn't seem like something anyone needs. Well, everyone needs it, but we already have it. Would gamers really buy this over the readily available deodorant that pretty much every store sells?

PsychicTaco115 said:
Honestly, this almost sounds like something you would make up. It's just a little short of the absurdity mark, but still.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Let's think this through: video gaming, as a hobby, consists mostly of moving your fingers and hands (occasionally arms) and periodically, perhaps leaning forward or backward a bit. This is not something that works up a sweat, and I say that as someone who can dismiss a lowland gorilla by calling it "lightweight". So this product isn't being offered earnestly. That leaves two possibilities: either it's a joke, or it's an insult.

If the former, it's pretty stupid. If the latter, it's also really uncreative.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Dumb marketing aside, if it's a good scent and costs no more than other deodorants i'll give it a try if not, the name/concept isn't gonna sell it to me.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
On the one hand, a cheap joke generalizing gamers is just that.

On the other hand, the owner of my Friendly Local Game Store has had to, on occasion, Febreze some of the patrons. Sometimes regularly.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
What a bunch on condescending bullshit. Because gamers are all the smelly little fat stereotype who dont know how to take care of them self and they clearly need a "special" gamer deodorant to entice them to have basic hygiene.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
As long as they hand out samples at conventions - where it's desperately needed, I'm OK with it.