Neverwinter Nights 3 Whispers Get Louder

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Neverwinter Nights 3 Whispers Get Louder

A comment at Gen Con and a few unusual domain registrations have the internet whispering that Atari is getting ready to announce a new Neverwinter Nights.

It was all the way back in 2002 when BioWare and Atari released sequel [http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-Diamond-Pc/dp/B000B8K7RC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281364875&sr=1-1] in 2006, which earned three official expansions of its own. And now it looks like maybe, possibly, we might be getting more.

Rumor Component Number One: According to D&D [http://critical-hits.com/2010/08/07/gen-con-2010-dd-new-products-seminar/] videogame," but couldn't talk about it at the time.

Rumor Component Number Two: As uncovered by saveneverwinter.com [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/921643506/is-the-film-with-marlon-wayans-considered-canon].

Put the two together and what you end up with looks very much like a finger pointed squarely at the northern region of Faerun. While we wait for Atari [http://www.atari.com] to drop the other shoe, meanwhile, I'm keeping my own fingers crossed. Nothing I'd like better than some fresh, frozen D&D action. Stay tuned!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Any hints on the developer?

BioWare seem to have their hands full at the minute, but if it's being done by Obsidian then you can pretty much count my interest out already.

[small]15 posts to go![/small]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:

BioWare seem to have their hands full at the minute, but if it's being done by Obsidian then you can pretty much count my interest out already.
Hey, Bioware did DA and ME2 at the same time...Why not this?

Dragon Age 2 is out in less than a year, after all.

Anyway...having never played the series, and lacking a decent PC and the will to ever make/buy one, I can only pray for a sub-par console version.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:

Hey, Bioware did DA and ME2 at the same time...Why not this?

Dragon Age 2 is out in less than a year, after all.

Anyway...having never played the series, and lacking a decent PC and the will to ever make/buy one, I can only pray for a sub-par console version.
I know, it's just because they're doing TOR this time. And they must be working on Mass Effect 3 too.

So that's 3 games at least.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
It's an MMO and is most likely by Cryptic Studios who made City of Heroes and Star Trek Online. I'm not hyped.

No way in hell is it by Bioware. They are owned by EA and Atari have the rights to D&D games.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Are there any rumors about the game being good? Because that would be a nice addition to the NWN series.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Wow... Well, this is unexpected but very interesting! Although I don't realistically see BioWare handling NWN3 on top of DA2, ME3 and SW:TOR... Wait and see, I guess...

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Are there any rumors about the game being good? Because that would be a nice addition to the NWN series.
Yeah, I was just going to say that. I played Baldurs Gate 2: Shadoes of Amn and Throne of Bhaal, and loving those people told me to get NeverWinter Nights. I didn't get the first one but I did get NWN 2, and I was exceedingly unhappy with it. The controls, the gamplay, the mechanics. I didn't get far enough into it to be disillusioned with the story.

As far as NWN 3 goes, I really couldn't care less. Though I suppose, statisticly, someone has to like it.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
JEBWrench said:
Arf.

The Neverwinter Nights series has had it's moments. Mask of the Betrayer is probably one of the only computer RPGs of recent years that the majority of grizzled computer RPG veterans can get together appreciate as something that doesn't commit vile necrophiliac acts on the genre.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Woodsey said:
Any hints on the developer?[/small]
What you see is what we know. Which is nothing when you get right down to it, but it's as close to knowing anything as we've come. Believe me, if/when Atari makes it official, one way or the other, I'll be screaming about it at all of you.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Woodsey said:
Any hints on the developer?[/small]
What you see is what we know. Which is nothing when you get right down to it, but it's as close to knowing anything as we've come. Believe me, if/when Atari makes it official, one way or the other, I'll be screaming about it at all of you.
Here's where I get my rumours from anyway.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/94501-turbine-sues-atari-neverwinter-nights-mmo-confirmed.html

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403390

I worked there for a little over a year; it will be Neverwinter Nights Online unless things have changed since last December.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Sweet! I need some new D&D goodness!
As for the developer, I don't really care. Obsidian didn't screw up too badly with NW2, sans the abysmal hardware requirements...

Slayster

Apr 7, 2010
Interesting news! I'm a big fan of the first one and even the second (though less so) but one thing I hope who ever is developing it considers is the toolset. For me mod development was big part of the previous two games and a new game will die out qickly without it.

Mar 30, 2010
Call me a cynic but I'll wait until it's released which AD&D rules edition they're basing the game system on before I get excited. I have a nasty feeling it'll be 4 rather than 3.5, in which case celebrations will not only be cut short but murdered brutally in their sleep. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but only time (and previews) will tell....

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
As a die-hard fan, I hope it's not true. The sequel was terrible, third game will be horrendous. Unless Bioware makes it, it's not going to work, EVER.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Isn't Neverwinter destroyed in 4.0? Is the game just going to be set around that region, then?

Edit: And NWN 2 only had two expansions, no? Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir? Am I just completely blanking out on a third?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would be so sweet if the runour turned to be fact! Time will tell, but, with Bioware as they are now, they could seriously go to town with this!