New 4K Mass Effect: Andromeda Shots Released Alongside N7 Day Tease

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New 4K Mass Effect: Andromeda Shots Released Alongside N7 Day Tease

Bioware is showing off some 4K screenshots of Mass Effect: Andromeda, as well as teasing a new reveal coming on N7 Day.

During Sony's press event to show off the brother and sister [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168347-PlayStation-4-Pro-Unveiled].

This morning, there's a handful of new 4K screens from the game (shown below in full resolution), and the Mass Effect Twitter account is teasing something for N7 Day (November 7).

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/775046280800329728]

Aside from that brief tease, there's no word on what we might hear on N7 Day, but if I had to guess, I'd think it would be an announcement of the game's official release date, which is currently listed as "early 2017." For now, we can only speculate.

[gallery=6474]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
As a person who only has a 1920i whateverydo HD TV and no real plans for 4k monitor purchasing soon...what will the Pro version really be able to offer to a humble peasant such as my lowly self? other than a doubled HDD without a P.T. demo on it?
Oh wait, this is a VR thing, I almost forgets.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Loved the trilogy, and I'm obviously looking forward to Andromeda, but... Nothing, literally nothing, they've shown so far has been at all even a little bit interesting. A pointless tech demo amounting to 'Honest! This'll look GREAT on another screen you can't see right now and probably won't ever care about!', a spot of info about siblings, and then--- I dunno, Generic Sci-Fi Location Which Looks A Bit Halo-y [Now With Added Jumping[footnote]I think DA:I was the last time BioWare added a jumping mechanic to a game, and that REALLYY added to it...[/footnote], As If An A/RPG Needed More Systems To Compromise On]?

Also, I'm pretty sure one of the characters said something about 'This readout's off the charts!'...

All in all, I'm not sure I've ever seen a highly anticipated game being teased so prosaically before. I'm sure they have good footage or 'stuff' to show off, but all of this just feels like a complete waste of time. Though I suppose anti-hype > hype.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...see, here's where I feel 4k teasers don't quite work, since... well, uhhh, those pictures don't look any better than a standard HD screenshot? It's just, either my computer isn't 4k and won't render the thing properly, thus meaning I can't see what Mass Effect in 4k looks like, or... it just isn't that noticeable an improvement?

I dunno. The whole 'LOOK GUYS WE CAN DO 4K' thing feels like a very niche appeal to people who care about the cutting edge/have the disposable income to afford a 4K tv anyway, so it's... weird to see such a big deal being made about it.

Darth Rosenberg said:
[sub]I think DA:I was the last time BioWare added a jumping mechanic to a game, and that REALLYY added to it...[/sub]
Oh, it added so much more - like bullshit platforming puzzles in a 3rd person game! Those are always a fun addition!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
How much are they going to charge for the new skin to make the asari companion look half way decent?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
2 months before release and people still dont have a clue just what the hell youre going to do in that game nor any of its features

This bodes well...

The only thing im looking forward to are how they are gonna botch their cringy progressiveness this time... DA:I is hard to top

But what can i expect from a studio that has a dev on it that would like to kill me for my skin color? ;)

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Wrex Brogan said:
Oh, it added so much more - like bullshit platforming puzzles in a 3rd person game! Those are always a fun addition!
Billygoating clearly improves all games...

In DA:I I'm never entirely sure if I'm supposed to be able to reach a spot, or if the terrible design is just working against the delicate spamming of the jump button.

Games don't seem to understand the sentimental appeal of jetpacks; those are cool. Jump-packs? Boost-jumps? Those are the resort of the game world which can't actually give you any real freedom, but want to pretend to give you cool features. ME:A's certainly looks like just another anemic boost jump. Hopefully they can actually do something interesting with it in terms of level design.

Karadalis said:
The only thing im looking forward to are how they are gonna botch their cringy progressiveness this time... DA:I is hard to top
Including one minor trans character and two canon gay characters whose sexuality isn't important (Tevinter social norms weren't about morality or some kind of tyrannically presented straight/homophobic hegemony) is "cringy progressiveness" how?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
As a person who only has a 1920i whateverydo HD TV and no real plans for 4k monitor purchasing soon...what will the Pro version really be able to offer to a humble peasant such as my lowly self? other than a doubled HDD without a P.T. demo on it?
Oh wait, this is a VR thing, I almost forgets.
Firmware 4.00 comes with a feature that lets you connect two PS4's through their ethernet port to copy over data from one PS4 to another, so unless the second PS4 will have to recheck licenses online, you should still be able to have PT on a Pro.

As for what PS4 Pro can offer to people with 1080p displays, this all depends on the developers, really, they could use the extra processing leeway to render higher or more consistent frames or to increase the graphical fidelity of games.
It all depends on the developers on a game to game basis, best to just wait it out and see how companies go about doing things.

OT: Yay... all this talk about 4K, 4K screenshots and footage being released... if only I had a display capable of actually viewing this content. Can't help but feel that all this 4K talk is a bit early still. Industries have only "just" made the switch to 1080p.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Including one minor trans character and two canon gay characters whose sexuality isn't important (Tevinter social norms weren't about morality or some kind of tyrannically presented straight/homophobic hegemony) is "cringy progressiveness" how?
Then how come the only thing people usually remember about these characters are being "flamboyant gay magician" and "tomboy lesbian elf"?

Compared with the cast from the mass effect series or dragon age origins deep characters these token minority characters inclusion seems solely based on flying that virtue signaling flag.

Also you forgot some things: The "iron" bull man meat, the mentaly challanged errr.. i mean differntly abled child, the removal of desire demons and the overall weird "inclusive" nature of an organisation thats called the "inquisition"... while everyone else outside the inquisition was aparantly made up out of nazis

Dont know about you but "inquisition" is not exactly a word you would use for an organisation that could aswell be flying the rainbow flag. The very idea of an inquisition is to hunt down people who are different or have different beliefs then those the inquisition subscribes to.

I felt less like an inquisitor using any means possible to find the truth, and more like a social justice warrior who took the warrior part a bit to serius.

Considering how this nonsense and hack writing has plagued bioware ever since DA:2 im merely curious how they screw the pooch this time. (mass effect 3 was less affected by their hack writers because they where merely "wrapping up" the series and that most characters had allready been written... didnt stop them to put in the token flaming gay spaniard...)

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Resolution at 4K only better reveals how much the game just doesn't look that good. Blagh.

bluegate said:
Firmware 4.00 comes with a feature that lets you connect two PS4's through their ethernet port to copy over data from one PS4 to another
Wait, are you telling me that the PS4 just recently got that function when the PS3 has had it since almost forever? Goddamn it Sony.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Still waiting for Bioware to fire that horrible, piece of shit racist they're currently employing. Until that bigoted douchebag is given his walking papers, consider my wallet closed.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Karadalis said:
Then how come the only thing people usually remember about these characters are being "flamboyant gay magician" and "tomboy lesbian elf"?
That only leads me to believe you rub shoulders with people with peculiar perceptions of characters. I've discussed DA:I to death with all sorts of people since it came out, and neither of those oddly narrow monikers ring true. I'd go with 'smartass Tevinter' and 'adorable [depending on choices] psychopath hypocrite'.

That you see their sexuality as a defining trait seems to reveal more about you than the characters, the writers, or their fans. Particularly as unless you actually choose to RP a character attracted to either Dorian or Sera, their sexuality - as with Cortez in ME3 - barely has any relevance whatsoever. Unless you count just characters being gay as proof of an 'issue' being pushed? In which case, why the hell isn't Cassandra's straightness representative of an agenda as well?

If any plotline or mention of a sexuality is suspect, then it surely stands to reason all such mentions are.

Compared with the cast from the mass effect series or dragon age origins deep characters these token minority characters inclusion seems solely based on flying that virtue signaling flag.
...ah, more talk of 'virtue signaling'. I'm sure if I said I loved BioWare's direction that'd just be 'virtue signaling' as well, right? Instead of, y'know, actually having fidelity of opinions and thoughts that differ from yours or other peoples?

Also you forgot some things: The "iron" bull man meat, the mentaly challanged errr.. i mean differntly abled child, the removal of desire demons and the overall weird "inclusive" nature of an organisation thats called the "inquisition"... while everyone else outside the inquisition was aparantly made up out of nazis

Dont know about you but "inquisition" is not exactly a word you would use for an organisation that could aswell be flying the rainbow flag. The very idea of an inquisition is to hunt down people who are different or have different beliefs then those the inquisition subscribes to.

I felt less like an inquisitor using any means possible to find the truth, and more like a social justice warrior who took the warrior part a bit to serius.

Considering how this nonsense and hack writing has plagued bioware ever since DA:2 im merely curious how they screw the pooch this time. (mass effect 3 was less affected by their hack writers because they where merely "wrapping up" the series and that most characters had allready been written... didnt stop them to put in the token flaming gay spaniard...)
Rather sounds (basic inclusivity - i.e. treating and valuing everyone equally, depending on their abilities - is "weird" since when?) like you're, ironically, the only person with an agenda in this. And the underlined shows you don't really remember the various conversations that deal with the difference between the first Inquisition's dark history (with its religiously dogmatic opportunism leading to bloodshed), and the current path - whether it can be different, or will suffer from mission creep and turn abusive of its power, is an ongoing theme from the very beginning of the game right up to the end of Trespasser.

Re the second underlined: c'mon, did you even play the game? The Inquisition wasn't formed to find "truth", it was ultimately formed by Cassandra and Leliana because the mage/Templar conflict - plus a leaderless Chantry reeling from having most of its command structure X'd out - meant there was no viable authority to deal with the whole Breach in the sky issue (Justinia's intent would've been the internecine conflict, pre-Breach). The PC's arc was to find out the source of the mark, sure, but that wasn't the Inquisition's goal.

Oh, and as for---
Considering how this nonsense and hack writing has plagued bioware ever since DA:2
Did you object to the gay relationships in Jade Empire (as optional there as in DA:O, DAII, all three Mass Effect's and DA:I)? BioWare's been endearingly reflective of the times for quite a while now. The only difference is that there's no commercial need to be ridiculously coy these days.

I'd expect and hope ME:A to be on par with DA:I in terms of character design and themes, even if ME's been the typically more male-gazey IP. Of course, at the moment 'it's a sci-fi thing and has a daft boost-jump feature' is pretty much all we know, so they could screw it up in all sorts of ways... I'd bet they nail the writing and character narratives, though, which is what I most care about.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
Karadalis said:
That only leads me to believe you rub shoulders with people with peculiar perceptions of characters. I've discussed DA:I to death with all sorts of people since it came out, and neither of those oddly narrow monikers ring true. I'd go with 'smartass Tevinter' and 'adorable [depending on choices] psychopath hypocrite'.

That you see their sexuality as a defining trait seems to reveal more about you than the characters, the writers, or their fans. Particularly as unless you actually choose to RP a character attracted to either Dorian or Sera, their sexuality - as with Cortez in ME3 - barely has any relevance whatsoever. Unless you count just characters being gay as proof of an 'issue' being pushed? In which case, why the hell isn't Cassandra's straightness representative of an agenda as well?

If any plotline or mention of a sexuality is suspect, then it surely stands to reason all such mentions are.

...ah, more talk of 'virtue signaling'. I'm sure if I said I loved BioWare's direction that'd just be 'virtue signaling' as well, right? Instead of, y'know, actually having fidelity of opinions and thoughts that differ from yours or other peoples?

Rather sounds (basic inclusivity - i.e. treating and valuing everyone equally, depending on their abilities - is "weird" since when?) like you're, ironically, the only person with an agenda in this. And the underlined shows you don't really remember the various conversations that deal with the difference between the first Inquisition's dark history (with its religiously dogmatic opportunism leading to bloodshed), and the current path - whether it can be different, or will suffer from mission creep and turn abusive of its power, is an ongoing theme from the very beginning of the game right up to the end of Trespasser.

Re the second underlined: c'mon, did you even play the game? The Inquisition wasn't formed to find "truth", it was ultimately formed by Cassandra and Leliana because the mage/Templar conflict - plus a leaderless Chantry reeling from having most of its command structure X'd out - meant there was no viable authority to deal with the whole Breach in the sky issue (Justinia's intent would've been the internecine conflict, pre-Breach). The PC's arc was to find out the source of the mark, sure, but that wasn't the Inquisition's goal.

Oh, and as for---
Considering how this nonsense and hack writing has plagued bioware ever since DA:2
Did you object to the gay relationships in Jade Empire (as optional there as in DA:O, DAII, all three Mass Effect's and DA:I)? BioWare's been endearingly reflective of the times for quite a while now. The only difference is that there's no commercial need to be ridiculously coy these days.

I'd expect and hope ME:A to be on par with DA:I in terms of character design and themes, even if ME's been the typically more male-gazey IP. Of course, at the moment 'it's a sci-fi thing and has a daft boost-jump feature' is pretty much all we know, so they could screw it up in all sorts of ways... I'd bet they nail the writing and character narratives, though, which is what I most care about.
ok just quoting to say well done. its been so long since ive seen the voice of reason in these forums and let me tell you its refreshing.

OT: game looks good and they haven't ruined the story in marketing, I say this could be another win for Bioware. more importantly im betting they rerelease the trilogy or finally announce they'll have it backwards compatible with Xbox one on N7 day.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Also, I'm pretty sure one of the characters said something about 'This readout's off the charts!'...
You'd think by now that they would have invested some of those sweet sweet space credits in to making bigger charts. Maybe Shepard hollowing out all the planets in ME2 deprived 'Operation Big Chart' of the resources it needed.

OT; It'd be nice if they gave a release date. Or actual gameplay footage. Or some clue as to how we are going to be gouged with the Season Pass.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Aren't they gonna tell us to bugger off unless we're viewing the content on 4K screen because it's "meant to be viewed at 4K". Some of us came to see legit gameplay footage of ME: Andromeda since E3 has fuck all to show us and we're told at the door that we should have a 4K screen. It's clear that EA has whored out the reveal to of Andromeda gameplay to Sony, but I couldn't think of a more shameful display.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
008Zulu said:
You'd think by now that they would have invested some of those sweet sweet space credits in to making bigger charts. Maybe Shepard hollowing out all the planets in ME2 deprived 'Operation Big Chart' of the resources it needed.
Maybe Operation Big Chart was an above-above-top-secret casualty of the Reaper war, or maybe it was a hidden ending...

OT; It'd be nice if they gave a release date. Or actual gameplay footage. Or some clue as to how we are going to be gouged with the Season Pass.
Well, I, er, 'accepted' day1 DLC with grace for ME3 (nor did I complain about Warden's Keep and its storage chest for DA:O), so frankly BioWare's one company I tend to be okay with being screwed by, so to speak. More Dragon Age or Mass Effect is pretty much all I need to throw my money at them, and thus far, to their credit, they've not really disappointed at all.

I mean, DA:I's DLC's weren't exactly mindblowing, but they at least enriched further playthroughs. And ME3's DLC support was, I feel, absurdly good. Am I saying I trust BioWare, a triple-A dev owned by a triple-A publisher? I suppose I am...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
I mean, DA:I's DLC's weren't exactly mindblowing, but they at least enriched further playthroughs. And ME3's DLC support was, I feel, absurdly good. Am I saying I trust BioWare, a triple-A dev owned by a triple-A publisher? I suppose I am...
Never played DA:I. I did play the first game, but I felt it to be too mediocre to give the second one a shot. Good thing too I suppose, I did not hear one good thing about that game.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
008Zulu said:
Never played DA:I. I did play the first game, but I felt it to be too mediocre to give the second one a shot. Good thing too I suppose, I did not hear one good thing about that game.
What, DAII? Heh, I genuinely love that game - not the best in terms of core gameplay (though its combat is still leagues ahead of DA:I's), but I felt it was a genuinely ambitious, and the quality of the writing was as good as ever from BioWare. An unfairly maligned and harshly judged - if flawed due to a rushed dev cycle - gem, I'd say.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
008Zulu said:
What, DAII? Heh, I genuinely love that game - not the best in terms of core gameplay (though its combat is still leagues ahead of DA:I's), but I felt it was a genuinely ambitious, and the quality of the writing was as good as ever from BioWare. An unfairly maligned and harshly judged - if flawed due to a rushed dev cycle - gem, I'd say.
i wasnt that keen on da2 but i will say they really stepped up their game with the dlc. they were amazing