New 52's Lobo Gets Ongoing Series, Tragic Backstory

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
Urgh, I've been loving the Aquaman and Batman books and some of the other series, but every time Lobo has shown up in the new 52 it feels like a throwback to the Liefield 90's era of ridiculous muscle bound characters covered in pouches.

The Deathstroke series was killed off my being thoroughly Lobo'd.

With a couple of exceptions I go for DC and Image stuff generally, but if I want a merc with an attitude, there's already Deadpool to go to.

Sales alone are likely to let this just die quietly and let Lobo be returned to the shelf of things about the 90s we want to forget.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I'm not sure there's anything that so perfectly encapsulates everything that's wrong with the New 52 and present day DC comics than what has happened to Lobo.

Well done DC.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ok all Lobo needs now is a love interest.

Said love interest would of course be killed off of course, so he can get all angsty about her, leading to more brooding to go along with his spiffing new tragic backstory.

Also I'm from opposite land, bad day to all you folks!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
???
What.

I can get why they'd change Lobo, and I'm fine with him being a pretty boy with a tragic backstory.
Here's the thing though, don't play it straight.

He's a parody, so I get why he'd have to change with the times to parody new trends. I think changing him to reflect the change would make more sense than trying to preserve his image that developed as a parody.
But what is the point of this??

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why is it the 52 version of him looks so generic and boring. Were as the original showed more character? An this is coming from a non comic person.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I miss when the main man's stupidity andcawesomeness was selfaware, this Faux-no DC keep trying to make happen is a farce.
SonOfVoorhees said:
Why is it the 52 version of him looks so generic and boring. Were as the original showed more character? An this is coming from a non comic person.
because he conforms to the style of the nu52 with no sense of irony, the original Logo turned into an intentional parody of 90s excess, this nu version embrassess it :mad:

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Don't you see lobo was originally a parody of the 90s dark age comic book character. So it makes sense the new lobo will parody the modern Jacob/Edward type Marty Stu angst "hero". I look forward to them rebotting him every other issue to poke at spiderman/batman.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Lobo needs a scruffy beard and his backstory needs to be along the lines of "he kicks ass".

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
-puts on conspiracy theory helmet on -

all these changes might be so that they can make him better for a movie screen and easier for an actor to play him (and one that the "general audience" can get)

there are rumors that Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson might be playing him in an upcoming movie

he mentioned that he would be doing work for a DC movie, but the character would have to have these 3 things

-the character has to complex with a lot going on

-well known and not brought to life on film yet

-be a bad ass mother-fu**er on a super man level

this could also mean he might be playing doomsday, but it would enplane the drastic changes to lobo

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Willstown said:
Urgh, I've been loving the Aquaman and Batman books and some of the other series, but every time Lobo has shown up in the new 52 it feels like a throwback to the Liefield 90's era of ridiculous muscle bound characters covered in pouches.

The Deathstroke series was killed off my being thoroughly Lobo'd.

With a couple of exceptions I go for DC and Image stuff generally, but if I want a merc with an attitude, there's already Deadpool to go to.

Sales alone are likely to let this just die quietly and let Lobo be returned to the shelf of things about the 90s we want to forget.
Corrections

1: You want to forget. To me 1990's Lobo was awesome. Also Lobo was made in the 1980's just to further clarify.

2: Lobo is a Bounty Hunter. Not a Mercenary like Deadpool.

3: I hope it just isn't me, but 1990's Deadpool written by Joe Kelly is way better than whatever Daniel Way did to ruin Deadpool. Also Deadpool was made in the 1990's so I guess you might want to forget Deadpool too.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Rellik San said:
More to the point, why does the once bad ass biker built like brick shit house now look like every single gary stu self insert character that ever happened ever? D:
I don't like what they're doing and think the comments about DC missing the character's point are spot on, but character design-wise he wasn't always overmuscled. Pretty sure that started with Bisley.

Heh. Perhaps they will also bring back his love for space dophins.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
hahahahahahahahaaaaaa

(Sorry if they report me for this post because it has little content, I just have nothing else to say)

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Well, this could work, if they just pile on every "tragic backstory" cliché in the book on top of the guy; homeworld gets blown up, last of his kind, parents shot to death outside of a Movie theater, his powers are painbased, listens to Linkin Park, cuts himself with the biggest razor in the universe, etc, etc.

Still, yeah; the DCAU version is basically Lobo in a nutshell. Please let us have that again.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Mangod said:
Well, this could work, if they just pile on every "tragic backstory" cliché in the book on top of the guy; homeworld gets blown up, last of his kind, parents shot to death outside of a Movie theater, his powers are painbased, listens to Linkin Park, cuts himself with the biggest razor in the universe, etc, etc.

Still, yeah; the DCAU version is basically Lobo in a nutshell. Please let us have that again.
I think you are giving DC too much credit, but if they run with that idea... Well played.