New Army of Two trailer has Poe's Law in full effect.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Why is it whenever someone tries to invoke Poe's law, all it really does is demonstrate their own level of misunderstanding?
There ought to be a law.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
MammothBlade said:
Just the sort of turdmeat the douchebag energy-drink bro crowd are looking for. Nothing new here.
I believe the new term is spunkgargleweewee, sir.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
scorptatious said:
Pretty much this. It's kinda annoying how some people on here cry "racist" whenever they see something they don't like.
That's not it at all. I'm calling it out because it's taking a real life crisis, and turning it into an America dickslap.

Go read up on the Mexican cartels, and just how fucked up the situation is in Mexico, then tell me this isn't at least a little insulting. The idea of gung-ho American mercs being able to wade in and start blowing up Mexican cartel members, as if its some sort of easy moral choice, is ridiculous. And yes, has more than a few overtones of racism.
Dude, chill out. It's a game. And by the looks of the trailer, not a very serious one at that.

I'm not trying to trivialize whatever's happening in Mexico. I just find it silly for people to work themselves up over a guy wanting to have a taco. (Among other things)

Jun 11, 2009
Loonyyy said:
You should always look at pop culture through the lens of pop culture first. If you noticed a racial undertone to the game trailer: Good. Now go look at the other games lying around and notice the strong one there. It's a cultural trend.
Everyone is racist, so it doesn't count. Are you fucking serious?

I don't have a single game in my collection with a gay protagonist. Not out of any deliberate choice. I have probably two with female leads. I have I think just the one with a black lead.
And you don't see a problem with this?

Army of TIIIO is dumb action, yeah, but you yourself brought up pop culture as a whole. You have to realize that not everything is dumb action, and that when the serious media presents itself the same way as dumb action - instead of, y'know, serious media - something has gone horribly wrong.

Radoh said:
Being that I've actually played the games, I can assure you that it is in fact just the style of humour this series goes for.
In one game I made the choice to take a bunch of guns from a security guy, smacked the gun out of his hand.
The gun discharged, ricocheted twice, and planted itself right in the brainpan of security guy. The Response? "How hard is it to not kill people?"
Another point I refused to kill an endangered tiger (I was fighting through a zoo, that should be enough evidence right there) and in the midst of the panic, it escaped, hopped in the back of a car that belonged to a man currently robbing a store, and killed the burglar when he got into the car.
You can equip a soda can as a silencer and a screwdriver as a bayonet and both work FLAWLESSLY.
There's an augment that makes your grenades solid gold and jewel encrusted.
This series thrives off the ludicrous nature of two dudes taking on entire militaries while never taking it too seriously.

It's just a game trying to have fun.
Man, is that what the other games were like? Jeez, I wish they hadn't been so utterly forgettable mechanically.

OT:

I don't imagine the people who are calling this out would be doing so at all/to such a degree as they are if it weren't tied to the cartel wars. The thing is, this would be fine if it were a nondescript bunch of people, criminals and merc companies getting blowed up real good. If it were some vaguely South American country the white, red-blooded all-American bro-dudes run around shooting up, it'd be fine, because the focus would be implicitly more about the act of shooting and exploding things than what is being shot an exploded.

By tying it to the Mexican drug cartels - which, as Jeffers outlined, are well and truly fucked up - there is an inherent shift in focus: the people who made it (I'm inclined to think it was more EA than the devs, since it's EA and all, but I digress) set it in the cartel wars for a reason. One would hope, anyway.

I'ts like . . . imagine if someone photoshopped Duke Nukem helping lift up the flag pole at Iwo Jima. They might have well and truly meant no harm, but Duke Nukem (especially after his latest adventure) and Iwo Jima are complete worlds apart. They shouldn't be mentioned together, period. You shouldn't have bro-dudes running around having Michael Bay escapades in a very real, very present series of crimes against humanity.

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I never said games couldn't tackle heavy issues. Please don't put words in my mouth good sir.

By "game" I mean, it's a fictional game about two guys in hockey masks running around saying one liners and blowing everything up. And the guys on the receiving end happen to be of the drug cartel. The whole idea is ridiculous.

Seriously, between this and the Dead Island bust, a lot of people seem to be way too sensitive about this kind of stuff.

Just live and let live man. Live and let live.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I don't know if it's suppose to be a parody or not.
But after looking at the trailer, I ain't laughing.
Or grinning.
Not even a smirk.

This seemed like just another pile of generic shooter action.
Parody or not, I, for one, will not give this game any more thought up until I hit the post button below.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I might pick it up when it's on sale. I liked the other AO2 games, they weren't great or anything but they were some crazy over the top action fun times. Not every game has to be a fucking super amazing jaw dropping epic story driven experience guys, I'll be the first to admit that there are one too many third person shooters on the market these days but AO2 has always been rather tongue in cheek about the presentation. This looks just as over the top and fun as the others.

I'm of the personal belief that there is plenty of room for dumb action titles, you people seriously need to lighten up a bit.

Jun 11, 2009
scorptatious said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I never said games couldn't tackle heavy issues. Please don't put words in my mouth good sir.
You never said they couldn't? Sorry, I must have mistaken chastising and arguing against someone who feels games should be taken seriously as being similar to saying they shouldn't be taken seriously.

Grow up. That is literally the sort of thing a child would say.

By "game" I mean, it's a fictional game about two guys in hockey masks running around saying one liners and blowing everything up. And the guys on the receiving end happen to be of the drug cartel. The whole idea is ridiculous.
1. Are you seriously meaning to imply that because it's fictional it shouldn't be taken seriously? Or perhaps that a video game shouldn't be taken seriously by sole virtue of being a video game?
2. The Mexican drug cartels aren't fictional. Inserting fictional characters into a real-life event for the sole purpose of blowing shit up and slapping their dicks over everything is insane. It's dehumanizing - it literally borders being evil.

Seriously, between this and the Dead Island bust, a lot of people seem to be way too sensitive about this kind of stuff.
The Dead Island bust was one of the most juvenile, tasteless, frat boy, idiot idols the video gaming world has ever seen. To say that it was harmless or that people were overreacting by thinking a headless, arm-less, leg-less torso is in poor taste is insane.

Jun 11, 2009
jackinmydaniels said:
I might pick it up when it's on sale. I liked the other AO2 games, they weren't great or anything but they were some crazy over the top action fun times. Not every game has to be a fucking super amazing jaw dropping epic story driven experience guys, I'll be the first to admit that there are one too many third person shooters on the market these days but AO2 has always been rather tongue in cheek about the presentation. This looks just as over the top and fun as the others.

I'm of the personal belief that there is plenty of room for dumb action titles, you people seriously need to lighten up a bit.
You really didn't read the thread at all, did you?

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Wow why are people so serious over such a joke game. Not every game needs to be a serious life sucks game. Theres nothing wrong with a joking game

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Triforceformer said:
I mean yeah an MMS game with its trademark "Gung-Ho attitude towards 'realistic' violence and thinly veiled racism against brown people, intentional or not" but set in the Cartel, which I am almost certain the actual devs and writers don't know shit about?
So it's racist now to kill brown people? You know, I've zero interest in this game, but calling it racist ("Intentional or not") is simply ignorant. It's not racist. At all. Not even a little bit. The main characters are white, they kill brown people. So what? That doesn't make the game, or the developers, racist.

Racism is defined as such:

- hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
- a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

A white guy killing a brown guy is not racist. Now, if the white guy killed the brown guy BECAUSE he was brown, there ya go--racist white guy. I haven't even watched the trailer, as I don't even give enough of a shit, but I played the first game. They were mercenaries; it was more or less their job to kill people. Brown, white, yellow, black as the darkest of dark nights in a room with no windows and no light, even green people, I'm sure. STILL NOT RACIST. If Rio & Salem (Those are their names, right?) didn't kill the brown guys, brown guys would kill them. Also: that doesn't make the brown guys racist. That makes them the Cartel. It's kind of what they do.

You can hate on this game all you want, but don't throw out racism accusations. I know The Escapist loves getting long-lasting hate-ons from "Modern Military Shooters," but you shouldn't just make up reasons to hate them. At least keep your hatred grounded in reality. When you call games like this racist, you're in effect calling everyone who enjoys them racist. Which isn't cool, man.

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
scorptatious said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
You never said they couldn't? Sorry, I must have mistaken chastising and arguing against someone who feels games should be taken seriously as being similar to saying they shouldn't be taken seriously.

Grow up. That is literally the sort of thing a child would say.

1. Are you seriously meaning to imply that because it's fictional it shouldn't be taken seriously? Or perhaps that a video game shouldn't be taken seriously by sole virtue of being a video game?
2. The Mexican drug cartels aren't fictional. Inserting fictional characters into a real-life event for the sole purpose of blowing shit up and slapping their dicks over everything is insane. It's dehumanizing - it literally borders being evil.

The Dead Island bust was one of the most juvenile, tasteless, frat boy, idiot idols the video gaming world has ever seen. To say that it was harmless or that people were overreacting by thinking a headless, arm-less, leg-less torso is in poor taste is insane.
If being grown up means I can't point out the bullshit in a person's argument, then no, I won't grow up.

I never said games in general shouldn't be taken seriously. What I'm trying to say is what jeffers is doing is taking something in a game and blowing it out of proportion. I may have been too vague in what I've said earlier, and I apologize for that. I don't usually get into stupid arguments like this.

And thank you for proving my point about the bust. You're taking it WAY too seriously. And I also love how you and jeffers like to use "frat boy" in your arguments against things you deem offensive. Really helps in me taking your argument seriously.

Now, I'm going to end this argument. I really don't feel like butting heads against you two anymore.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
No, it's not a parody, just cartoonish.

I inwardly cringed when the girl showed up though. Hit about six or seven done-to-death cliches all at once, including the "where's our backup" line.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Take a deep breath and stop taking everything so seriously. So you fight the mexican drug cartel, so what. May as well go after the walking dead tv show for most of the zombie's being white. After all, it's racist to white people right? I would rather not have everything be so politically correct that it has to be completely awful. If we had to change everything to offend nobody we would have no entertainment.

Jun 11, 2009
scorptatious said:
If being grown up means I can't point out the bullshit in a person's argument, then no, I won't grow up.

I never said games in general shouldn't be taken seriously. What I'm trying to say is what jeffers is doing is taking something in a game and blowing it out of proportion. I may have been too vague in what I've said earlier, and I apologize for that. I don't usually get into stupid arguments like this.

And thank you for proving my point about the bust. You're taking it WAY too seriously. And I also love how you and jeffers like to use "frat boy" in your arguments against things you deem offensive. Really helps in me taking your argument seriously.

Now, I'm going to end this argument. I really don't feel like butting heads against you two anymore.
Declaring yourself the winner and storming out is a surefire indicator that you've lost.

Just pointing that out.