New Army of Two trailer has Poe's Law in full effect.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The thing I disliked about the trailer the most was the voice acting of Alpha and Bravo. It felt so wooden.

When Jason Brody screams stuff like "Woo! Yeah! I sunk your battleship!" it wouldn't be written like that, it'd be written like this.

"WOO! YEAH! I SUNK YOUR BATTLESHIP!" like he has to scream it across an open area. In a firefight Alpha and Bravo wouldn't be able to hear each other if they're just talking loudly behind hockey masks in a firefight. They would have to -yell-.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
The other Army of Two games have always gone for a rather tongue-in-cheek tone, so I'm willing to give the trailer the benefit of the doubt and say that it's probably falling on the parody side of things (albeit not a very good parody).

Still, looks like it'll be another spectacular, spunkgargleweewee meh-fest as the other games have been. No surprises there.

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
MammothBlade said:
Just the sort of turdmeat the douchebag energy-drink bro crowd are looking for. Nothing new here.
Well, aren't you a breath of fresh air. Dismissive and bilious hate, not adding anything to the conversation.
Not seen that in, boy, minutes.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
There is a lot of anger in this thread.

OT: I'll take a tongue-in-cheek fun shooter over GoW type games any day. I mean, did you see all the yellow on his mask :D

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
Meatspinner said:
OT: I'll take a tongue-in-cheek fun shooter over GoW type games any day. I mean, did you see all the yellow on his mask :D
Exactly! That's what these games do well, ridiculous badass moments that make you laugh at how over the top they are- Gears of War tries far harder to have an overarching story, which for me diminishes the drop-in value.

Ao2 is something to pick up, go a few levels and just have fun with. Just a pity some people don't want to know!

Full

Sep 3, 2012
It looks like this will either be this years Call of Juarez: The Cartel or this years Driver: San Francisco. You never know. It's also being made by Visceral, and they can do action stuff I guess.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Kirov Reporting said:
MammothBlade said:
Just the sort of turdmeat the douchebag energy-drink bro crowd are looking for. Nothing new here.
Well, aren't you a breath of fresh air. Dismissive and bilious hate, not adding anything to the conversation.
Not seen that in, boy, minutes.
But, you admitted it yourself:

It's an over the top couch co-op made for bros,

Bang on target, it's one for beer-spilling, loud-mouthed mayhem
Ok, I was wrong, I meant beer-fuelled.

Not to insult you personally, but I'm not exactly wrong, am I?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The fact that one of their masks looks like a Mexican wrestler's make me pretty certain it's at least in part a parody, also the line about tacos.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Triforceformer said:
For the uninformed, Poe's Law can be described as "The more extreme a piece of media it is, the more difficult it is to tell whether it's parody or legitimate without outside confirmation." Now watch this new "Overkill" trailer for ArIIIy of Two: The Devil's Cartel in which the new main characters Alpha and Bravo shoot a bunch of brown people.

-What I can only describe as "Exaggeration of the Black Ops II villain during his machete rampage" kicks a grenade near one of his "troops" with a bit of a comedic pause.
-Unarmored, slim-figured attractive not-as-brown woman is the "backup" for Alpha and Bravo against "Grenade Kick McGee."
-The villain slowly walks towards the three characters, somehow never being shot. Also is not caught in big explosion after Alpha/Bravo (Impossible to tell who's who as it's never made clear) says "Adios" like it's clever.
-Unfunny and mildly racist line about tacos.
-ALL the wanton destruction with beat up vehicles and guns to make it "gritty."
-No implication of any sort of plot aside from "Shoot everything in Mexico."

All points to a fairly humorous and well-animated parody of Spunkgargleweewee with a third Army of Two game as the framing joke, right? Then you see EA's tag come up and the release date, and all of the above just makes a little too much sense. I mean yeah an MMS game with its trademark "Gung-Ho attitude towards 'realistic' violence and thinly veiled racism against brown people, intentional or not" but set in the Cartel, which I am almost certain the actual devs and writers don't know shit about? Worked so well when Cal of Juarez did it, right? Now this was all without me realizing they announced this game back in August, so maybe I'm just late to the party. But this is still just sort of off the deep-end as far as these games go.
And this is different from the first 2 games how? No seriously what did you expect? A random change in the series to a much more serious tone? Lighten up, Army of Two is one of those games that doesn't take itself seriously, so why should you? Not every shooter is going to be Spec Ops: The Line.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
It LOOKS very run-of-the-mill, and even if it's a parody, it's still not a very good one.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
This game looks pretty cool and I will probably pick it up when it comes out. Also I am one of the few people that I know that actually enjoyed the first two Army of Two games. The only thing that I think is dumb it that if you pre-order it you get to play as two random rappers... hooray.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Being that I've actually played the games, I can assure you that it is in fact just the style of humour this series goes for.
In one game I made the choice to take a bunch of guns from a security guy, smacked the gun out of his hand.
The gun discharged, ricocheted twice, and planted itself right in the brainpan of security guy. The Response? "How hard is it to not kill people?"
Another point I refused to kill an endangered tiger (I was fighting through a zoo, that should be enough evidence right there) and in the midst of the panic, it escaped, hopped in the back of a car that belonged to a man currently robbing a store, and killed the burglar when he got into the car.
You can equip a soda can as a silencer and a screwdriver as a bayonet and both work FLAWLESSLY.
There's an augment that makes your grenades solid gold and jewel encrusted.
This series thrives off the ludicrous nature of two dudes taking on entire militaries while never taking it too seriously.

It's just a game trying to have fun.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Personally, I think it'll probably be crap, and not to my taste anyway, but these nitpicks are all... basically wrong.
This guy'll give you some perspective:

Kirov Reporting said:
Well, I'm prepared to be judged for saying that trailer's really got my interest and I will most likely play this.

Ao2 has always been so over-the-top that it's basically a parody, but played straight- an ultra-stylised version of something that you or I will never experience, massively bombastic and with everything cranked up to 11.5.

Burnout lives by the same code, you'll (probably) never drive like that, so let's kick it up to its most extreme so you can get an absurdly 'rule of cool' version of the experience you'll never have the 'realistic' version of.

Frankly, I'm surprised if anyone's surprised at all of the action movie cliches in this trailer.

-What I can only describe as "Exaggeration of the Black Ops II villain during his machete rampage" kicks a grenade near one of his "troops" with a bit of a comedic pause. - Big bad? Check.
-Unarmored, slim-figured attractive not-as-brown woman is the "backup" for Alpha and Bravo against "Grenade Kick McGee." - Tough chick backing up the lunkheaded protagonists? Check.
-The villain slowly walks towards the three characters, somehow never being shot. Also is not caught in big explosion after Alpha/Bravo (Impossible to tell who's who as it's never made clear) says "Adios" like it's clever. - The 'menacing' walk? Bit of a central character staple. Check.
-Unfunny and mildly racist line about tacos. - I reckon this is likely to be out of context. It's a bit out of place and if that's all there is to that line, it seems a bit pointless, but if they're about to hop in a taco truck or similar for the ridiculous car chase, it would make a bit of sense.
-ALL the wanton destruction with beat up vehicles and guns to make it "gritty." - How is that 'gritty'? It's just ridiculous splashy action. If you're expecting a grim discussion about how a blown up car probably means a father of three won't be able to drive to work and probably can't afford to replace it every time anything detonates, then this isn't the genre for you.
-No implication of any sort of plot aside from "Shoot everything in Mexico." - It's an under 2-minute trailer. It's aimed at people who want to blow stuff away. I'll go out on a limb and say 'Big bad is the leader of X. Guys, go take out him and X. Here's a chick to back you up.' Plot implied! Sartre this ain't, but it's never claimed to be.
It's a mass of tropes and shiny intended to appeal to a short attention span. It's an amalgamation of themes and tricks that sell. I mean, apart from being quite obvious in it's Michael Bay-esque approach to entertainment ('splosions everywhere), it's not even that bad.

1) "Racist undertones". Not really. Just about every modern AAA game has this problem somewhere. It's not really an attempt at racism, so much as a lack of research, a lack of depth, and the belief that most gamers can only associate with a straight white male with brown hair (usually gelled), often wearing jeans. It's more that they think that this is what people want and they'll buy. Artistically hollow, and disturbing on the whole, but not individually racist. The taco line? They're in Mexico, and the writers are dumb.

2) "Gritty". Not at all. This is the opposite of gritty. Gritty is a focus on the effects of a lower key of violence. You take a small act, and turn it into something brutal. This is over-the-top. It's hyperbolic explosions and bullets and man-fridges.

It's a cheap amalgamation of things people will recognise. Badasses? Machete guy, the protagonists, the heavies. Explosions? Cars, Villas. Cool guys not looking at them? Check. The protagonists, machete guy. Chest high walls? Check. Overexposed desert? Check. Michelle Rodriguez style badass babe/diversity casting? Check. Car Chase? Check. Vapid entertainment that's going to attempt to wow with set pieces rather than bore you with their story? Check. The explosions, battles, and action of the entire game condensed into a 2 minute montage of nonsense? The trend here is mighty obvious.

You should always look at pop culture through the lens of pop culture first. If you noticed a racial undertone to the game trailer: Good. Now go look at the other games lying around and notice the strong one there. It's a cultural trend. The location should be exotic, because that's exciting, but we're too stupid to understand anyone who isn't that same brown haired guy. I don't have a single game in my collection with a gay protagonist. Not out of any deliberate choice. I have probably two with female leads. I have I think just the one with a black lead.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
someonehairy-ish said:
Only the 'I could go for a taco' line makes me think this is parody, because surely noone would be retarded enough to play that line straight? Surely? Please?

[sub]They did, didn't they?[/sub]
Dont worry, that is par the course for Army of Two. It plays it all serious, while talking about the Wu Tang clan...

I guess its an acquired taste, but I enjoyed it... the first one that is...

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
It seems to be exactly the same as the other 2 games in the series. A ridiculous game about 2 bros who shoot other bros.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
The Army of Two games have always been about over-the-top action and shootouts with grand-scale and usually explosive, set pieces, separated by somewhat out of place drama and moral questioning. I personally loved the previous game and don't see anything wrong with it. Sure it is campy, but that's why it's entertaining.