New Assassin's Creed Multiplayer Characters Come Straight From the Story

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Assassin's Creed Multiplayer Characters Come Straight From the Story

Remember how the multiplayer characters in the last Assassin's Creed were kinda random? Well, in Revelations, they'll be a bigger part of the game's story.

Ubisoft's been making a serious effort to implement new features/improvements in each of the Assassin's Creed games. In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood the big new feature was a multiplayer mode; that the characters that were available to players were sort of random, largely coming from small side quests. However, the next game will feature multiplayer characters who are more involved with the single-player storyline.

A recent Game Informer story details the major characters that will appear in Assassin's Creed: Revelations. This includes details on some of the multiplayer characters, all of whom sound pretty interesting (FYI- the Guardian is pictured here):

The Vanguard
The Vanguard is a Cossack from Odessa. She joined the military to help hold the Ottoman Empire off from her homeland. Eventually, the Templars recruited her with promises of money and power. After years as a scout and spy, she is striking more directly at the center of the Ottoman empire.

The Guardian
This intriguing character is the estranged cousin of the first Sultan of the Sennar Sultanate. He was driven from his home in 1505 by his own family, and ended up in Alexandria, where he began to encounter the Templar philosophy. He now calls himself the Guardian of Truth, as he aims to enact the Templar mantra of peace through order and stability.

The Bombardier
The Bombardier is part of the Ottoman artillery corps, but that isn't where his true loyalties lie. He is actually a member of the Quizilbash, a group of anti-Ottoman rebels. The Bombardier thinks that working for the military is beneath him - a weakness exploited by the Templars, who use him to get weapons and information in exchange for wealth and access to powerful men.

The Sentinel
The Sentinel's similarity to the garb of an Assassin isn't coincidental. He was once part of the Assassin order. Born a Wallachian noble, he joined up with the Assassins as a teenager. He stayed with them until the Assassins established a truce with the Ottomans. Enraged, the Sentinel betrayed and left the order to join the Templars. The Ottomans had invaded and conquered his lands - a sin the Sentinel could not forgive. He now uses his insider knowledge of the Assassins to bring down both his former compatriots and their Ottoman allies.

The article also includes a lot of information about the characters that appear in the single-player campaign. It'll be interesting to see if, aside from expanded backstories for these multiplayer characters, the multiplayer mode includes other new features.

Source: Joystiq

Apr 28, 2008
Actually, from what I saw, the multiplayer characters in Brotherhood were just minor characters from the story. I definitely recognized quite a few in-game after watching trailers and whatnot. Haven't actually played Brotherhood's multiplayer myself. So maybe a few were random characters.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, you got it wrong there - all of the AC:Brotherhood Multiplayer Characters were not only characters from small side quests in the story mode, but also specific characters from the AC:Legacy Facebook game. What's more is that they also fit in with the story: they were all Templar agents at one point or another (save Fiora Cavazza, the Courtesan, who turned traitor on everyone).

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
OR... how about Ubisoft realize that Brotherhood's Multiplayer isn't worth continuing and focus on a better single player. I mean come on, it was a bit of a flop to say the least.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Irridium said:
Actually, from what I saw, the multiplayer characters in Brotherhood were just minor characters from the story. I definitely recognized quite a few in-game after watching trailers and whatnot. Haven't actually played Brotherhood's multiplayer myself. So maybe a few were random characters.
This.

I recall the Engineer being a sniper....

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Actually, the Brotherhood characters were all major or minor characters from the Story of Brotherhood; either people you dealt with from main quests who weren't major characters, or people who were the focus of the Assassin's Guild side missions you could do. For example:

The Officer - You chase him down on horseback and kill him during a sidequest.

The Engineer - A sniper you chase through an obstacle course and kill.

The Priest - Both someone you chase for info during a main quest and an assassin target later on.

The Thief - One of the random thieves you can corner and catch in-game.

The Footpad - The rooftop murderer you take care of during an assassination quest.

The Mercenary - Obviously supposed to be the Mercenary Guild's leader.

Etcetc.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
The multiplayer was fun in AC:B, and I'm hoping it's improved in AC:R. More modes, better connections, and make it at least somewhat fair to people just starting out. Tying it in with the single player is nice, but making it better would be... well better.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
jakko12345 said:
OR... how about Ubisoft realize that Brotherhood's Multiplayer isn't worth continuing and focus on a better single player. I mean come on, it was a bit of a flop to say the least.
Not really (the flop part). Whether it was liked or not, it was largely an experiment, and one that was successful enough to warrant a deeper look at this type of MP. Though it was very, very flawed (Poison kills anyone? Get a few of those, and you literally can't lose), it was still a first go at a different kind of MP.

From a personal perspective, I think it's still one of the more unique MP experiences out there, and one of the few I know of the I actually enjoyed. Also, the multiplayer, while coming from no-where, was made by a seperate team; the Single player was made by the people who have been making the SP games, and the MP was made by a second team specifically dedicated to the MP. For Revelations, they're going a step further; they have several different studios (all Ubisoft, obviously) working on different parts of the game, so that the SP and the MP's developement will not impede or hinder each other.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Irridium said:
Yeah, your bang on there. All the characters are from minor quests, admittedly I think they were only side quests, but all of them were from quests non the less. I always remember the doctor, as he kills a courtesan in the poor district and you have to chase after him.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Hm... yeah. I see your point. I clearly didn't write that properly, though I maintain the characters were kinda random. I'll tweak that now.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Paragon Fury said:
The Thief - One of the random thieves you can corner and catch in-game.
The Thief is actually the only character that DOESN'T appear in Brotherhood's Single player or Project Legacy.

Paragon Fury said:
The Mercenary - Obviously supposed to be the Mercenary Guild's leader.
The leader of the mercenary guild was Bartolomeo d'Alviano, one of Ezio's allys and an Assassin. The Mercenary is a different character entirely, an actual mercenray hired by the Borgia in Legacy.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Cossacks? Ottomans? Wallachians? Are we going into 17-18th century balklands now? Fantoobulous.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well this is going to be very interesting... Can't wait for Revelations. Going to be good. :D

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
jakko12345 said:
What are you talking about? It is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had, except for a few people who have bad internet connections, most people enjoy it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Irridium said:
Pretty much.

Most of them didn't play a vital role in the game, but some of them were included in Assassination missions or in mandatory missions. The rest, like the Courtissan, the Barber and the Mercenary, were characters from the Facebook game that went with the story of Brotherhood. Still, its good to know that the new ones will play a more prominent role.