New Avengers Trailer Gathers the "A"-Team

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Avengers Trailer Gathers the "A"-Team

Lasers, explosions, spandex, and quippy Robert Downey, Jr. one-liners assemble to form the first trailer for Joss Whedon's Avengers.

The new Avengers movie coming out next summer has garnered a massive amount of hype, and Marvel hasn't wasted any time in showing it off to its curious public. Aside from non-stop scenes of what seems to be almost an entire city blowing up, the trailer features all major stars of the Avengers franchise, and gives a first look at Mark Ruffalo's Hulk. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow is also in there, looking calm and collected while something explodes directly behind her (which, in film-ese, means she must be a badass, in case you were wondering).

Joss Whedon, unequivocal nerd king writer/director responsible for giving the world Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was tapped for the project over a year ago to the collective cheers of his loyal subjects across the land. The jury is still out on whether or not his biggest-budget outing to date will hold the same appeal as his more personal pet projects, but things, at the very least, seem like they could be promising.

Here's the official description of the film from Marvel:

Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger, Marvel's The Avengers is the super hero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster.

We can see in the trailer that Thor's Loki seems to be getting quite a bit of sinister face time in the footage, but its doubtful that he's the world-threatening "unexpected enemy" Marvel teases in their synopsis. Franchises with fan-bases as large as Marvel's love to surprise people with twisty reveals involving well-known characters, so its probably a fair guess to say we won't be seeing the film's real big bad until the movie hits screen in the summer of 2012.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
The trailer is pretty incredible and it really shows off lots of different elements in the film. I'm really looking forward to the interactions between the team.

I'm also looking for to more Chris Hemsworth =D

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Has anyone seen my pants? They were blown away sometime during the trailer. And I think my socks are gone, too.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
So fucking psyched for this movie. Can't wait to see some fucked up massive action scenes. And Stark hasn't changed, thank god.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
why can't it be summer 2012 already? WHY?! I look forward to this movie

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I sure hope Loki isnt the big bad guy of the movie, thats kind of anti climatic, he probably wont though.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's awesome. I can see Scarlett Johansson looks hotter than ever. She will make this movie worth watching even if it turns out to be shit. Which I hope won't happen.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
I'm kinda saddened that Edward Norton isn't playing Bruce Banner.
Me too.

It looks like Tony Stark is going to be huge fun in this movie, I love his response to Captain America.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
josemlopes said:
I sure hope Loki isnt the big bad guy of the movie, thats kind of anti climatic, he probably wont though.
Maybe it will be the Skrulls, when that one movie game that got canned was leaked I thought it would end up being some kind of set up for the secret invasion story with either Loki masterminding it or trying to use the Skrulls as a diversion.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I am so looking forward to the Stark Vs Rogers rhetoric. If it is done right it should rival the Spock Vs McCoy, Molari Vs G'kar, and 3PO Vs R2 banter we have enjoyed before.
josemlopes said:
He could just be a precursor to something bigger. That does seem to be the Marvel formula.

Apr 17, 2009
josemlopes said:
Looks like the big threat is something high up that shoots lasers. So maybe they've taken a leaf from the Ultimate universe and have used the Skrull. An invading fleet of aliens would be high up, would shoot lasers, and would require teamwork from all our heroes

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Me before new avengers trailer: "My god it has been a crappy day..." *Plays saints row 2 while facial expression remains at slightly unimpressed mixed with the odd psychotic twitch*

Me after new avengers trailer: "...SQUEEEEEEEEE!"

Seriously, this brightened my day in the ways I thought only really good tea, swiss roll, and "a town called eureka" could.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
You know, as much as I like Iron Man I hope he gets put in his place a little. I want more Cap and Thor!
Why? RDJ is frikin awesome. Caps 'I iron my undies and never think badly of anyone' type of character is just boring.
True, but he's a bit cocky. I'd hate for the film to turn out as 'Iron Man and friends'.