New Baldur's Gate Announcement Coming Next Week

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Baldur's Gate Announcement Coming Next Week

Beamdog has launched a timer on the official Baldur's Gate website counting down to Thursday, July 9th.

Something big is coming for website. The countdown is slated to end next Thursday, on July 9th at 10PM EST.

The big question, of course, is what the timer's counting down to. If previous statements from Beamdog are any indicator, it probably won't Baldur's Gate III. "We'd be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur's Gate III game, so we won't say that," said Beamdog back in 2012. "But we will say there's nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game." Rather, our money is on Beamdog formally unveiling its previously announced "Adventure Y." Speaking about Y earlier this year, Beamdog confirmed that it will be made with the Infinity Engine and bridge "gap between Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition."

Granted, we could still reach next Thursday and have something completely different revealed to us. That being the case, it strikes us as highly unlikely that the developer would talk about Adventure Y only a few months ago just to unveil a completely different project at the end of this countdown. Suffice it to say we'll be excited to see what's coming.

Source: Baldur's Gate

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Beamdog did a good job all things considered, but I'm not really sure how I should feel in regards to any more expansions to the Bhaalspawn Saga.

Apparently Beamdog was restricted by WoTC rather heavily in what they could and could not add or change to the games. Hence why all the party members are new characters instead of what a lot of folks would have liked to see-bringing over the large amount characters from BG I that got left out of BG II. Or why we'll never see what I'd have liked to see for Throne of Bhaal-a complete mulligan and do over of that particular mess!

I'm kinda hoping that if this is an 'interlude' chapter between BG I & II as is rumored we'll be able to see more use out of the BG I party members, hopefully with some sort of plotline that will explain why we ended up with the starting party we did at the start of BG II (always a bit awkward if you were playing an evil-aligned character)

WotC kinda took a dump on the Player Character in 5th edition, so I think it would be for the best if Beamdog didn't touch on the 5th edition bhaalspawn-related stuff-let Abdel Adrian and that mess of retcons lie off in it's own corner-I'd rather not be reminded that it exists.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Ehh, not excited either way. I wasn't very impressed by the content they added to the Baldur's Gate series in their enhanced editions, it felt rather uninspired. Not really excited to play an entire game with that same level of quality. Not to mention that their releases had more technical issues than the original games with community patches. Or even just the official patches, for that matter. They haven't done much to earn my trust until now. Of course, I'd be happy if I was proven wrong.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Just do a Planescape Torment HD, so folks don't have to run bazillion compatibility methods, UI mods and unofficial fixes. I don't know how the GOG version performs, I have a retail copy of it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Prequels are absolute shit. They better not ride the BG-wave.

I'd rather have a new adventure.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ugh. Again with teasing the teaser, we are not old people with heart conditions games developers. We can handle announcements ok.

OT; I would like to see a new D&D game, the 4th Ed based MMO was very disappointing. We need a good strong single player/co-op game again.

But the cynic in me says it's going to be a microtransaction fueled mobile game.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
If the original designers were involved I would be super excited. As it is I will just keep playing Pillars of Eternity and waiting for Torment.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
tzimize said:

Same here... you allways know that no matter what you do in the game it will have zero impact because history is allready written about whats to come.

So the whole game is an excercise in meaninglessness, since the timegap between BG 1 and 2 is so small anyways AND BG2 started off where BG1 left you level wise anyways. So if you play this interim expansion will you be completly overleveled for BG2? OR will they simply not allow you to carry over your character?

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
[/quote]
MC1980 said:
insaninater said:
question about the series. I've played and loved both dark alliance 1&2 on the ps2 back in the day, but other games almost look like something else entirely, so can someone give me a rundown on where this game fits in, and where DA 1&2 Fit?
Dark Alliance has nothing to do with the old Baldur's Gates, besides the setting really. DA's an isometric hack&slash, while BG is an old school D&D based isometric RPG. Story, gameplay, characters are all different, it's a slow, tactical affair.

So, unless your into that type of old ass RPG, I don't think it's for you. It's always nice to see people who also love DA. Great pair of games.
Ugh, thanks for reminding me that we'll never get a Dark Alliance 3...thanks for nuking Mulhorand in 4th Edition WoTC.

Karadalis said:
tzimize said:

Same here... you allways know that no matter what you do in the game it will have zero impact because history is allready written about whats to come.

So the whole game is an excercise in meaninglessness, since the timegap between BG 1 and 2 is so small anyways AND BG2 started off where BG1 left you level wise anyways. So if you play this interim expansion will you be completly overleveled for BG2? OR will they simply not allow you to carry over your character?
From the rumors I hear, it's going to end with you getting captured by the Shadow Thieves, thus setting up for the beginning of BG II.

Hopefully some of the old characters from BG I will be making a return. I remember being profoundly disappointed that Beamdog added new characters instead of making more use out of the existing ones. I'd take Shar-Teel or Xan over new ones any day.

I really hope they are going to take advantage of this last opportunity to use the BG I companions, (considering they decided not to bring back any new BG I companions for BG 2 EE) I at least hope they bring back Khalid and Dynaheir. The fact that all of the new content they added was centered around their new characters and the fighting pit thing was disappointing to me.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I refuse to ride this hype train. So far i've been underwhelmed by everything Beamdog has 'added' to BG, I doubt this will change my mind

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
Completely unrelated, but am I the only one looking at the image and half-expecting it to resolve into an angry Dalek eyestalk?

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
As much as I love Baldur's Gate... I don't know if I want a third game. And I think it's because I'm afraid they'd mess it up.

If they made a HD Planescape: Torment I might actually play it =P