New Baldur's Gate Not Coming to Wii U

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Baldur's Gate Not Coming to Wii U

Beamdog calls the system "a toy, not a console."

Though Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has, thus far, only been announced for PC, Mac, and iOS, developer Beamdog has made a point of saying that its upcoming game will never make its way to the Wii U or, from the sound of things, any Nintendo console in the foreseeable future.

Taking to the Twitosphere, ex-BioWare man and founder of Beamdog Trent Oster tweeted, "We don't do Nintendo development. Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another." That means no Wii, no Wii U, and no touch-enabled 3DS port.

The previous experience to which Oster is likely referring is his company's port of MDK2 to the Wii, specifically citing the company's policies in working with developers. "My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit," he wrote. "Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Those are strong words for a company developing for the iPad, but seem to speak more of a strained personal experience than an unbiased professional stance. Still, Oster and Co. have the freedom to develop for whomever they choose, and it does appear that they have some legitimate complaints about working with Nintendo. Regardless, there are currently no announced plans to bring the game to any console, Wii or otherwise.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-17-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-not-coming-to-wii-u]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Them fightn' words! Honestly I don't doubt he had a rough time with Nintendo.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
"Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."
Well said Mr Oster, very well said indeed. The Wii catered the lowest common denominator of casuals with both hardware and software. Sure it made a lot of money but not because of anything that resembled quality but as a result of being a fad. Sort of the same reason the pet rock made money back in the 70s.

I have a feeling this is a stigma that Nintendo is going to have a hard time shaking after the N64, and Gamecube sucked hind tit and then the Wii abandoning the core market entirely for that easy casual money. The Wii-U has a good decade and a half of Nintendo irrelevance in the console market to overcome and I can imagine there are more than a few developers that aren't exactly excited at the idea of going into business with a company so painfully behind the times as Nintendo still plainly is.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
6000 units seems fine to me. I mean if your game doesn't sell that much well then it reaaaaaaaaly sucked. I mean even most bombs hit at least over 10,000 units. Now the 40mb limit. That is messed up. That seems to be like late PSX games. Or early ps2 games.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well he said that most people buy a Wii, get Wii sports then don't buy anything else. Whether that's true or not Nintendo still has it's reputation for it's treatment of 3rd party developers and it seems like they still aren't even trying. They can keep saying it but until they actually have more than a handful of 3rd party hits on any of their consoles they might as well be voiceless for all the good it does.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Mike Kayatta said:
The previous experience to which Oster is likely referring is his company's port of MDK2 to the Wii, specifically citing the company's policies in working with developers. "My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit," he wrote. "Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."
Considering that Obsidian created a game that sold upwards of five million copies, yet still got shafted out of payment by Bethesda, pardon me if I don't cry too much about a game needing to sell a whopping 6000 copies before the developers get paid. To be frank, if a game were to sell less than 6000, then I imagine Nintendo's priorities would be focused more on trying to minimise the effects of a grade-A flop than trying to pay royalties to the developer that made said flop in the first place.

Dude just sounds bitchy, and like he's trying to ride on the anti-Nintendo wave. Xenoblade, Last Story and Skyward Sword all prove that the Wii is, in actual fact, a videogame console, not a toy. And that's scientific fact!
Yeah, except for the 40mb limit this all sounds pretty reasonable to me. That cert process may be awkwardly long but it could just be they have high quality standards? Or they could be ragingly inefficient, a possibility. The 6000 unit mark though....

Then again consider this was a digital only sale, IIRC. The 40mb limit is because Nintendo's digital network is it's weakest feature, and they probably want to keep downloads under a certain limit so their casual centered demographic can get all their titles quickly.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
all games machines are toys.some just feel more secure about it.

EDIT:But I can see why he dosent want to work with them,9 months certification and a 40mb limit? really.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I was a hardcore Nintendo fan from NES right untill the Wii.
Seriously, I got one for my parents because I knew they'd be thrilled to bits with Wii Sports, and I of course wanted to play Twilight Princess whenever they'd be done with it.

But I knew it then; the Wii is indeed more a toy than a serious console (see online gaming for one).

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
A 40MB limit? In this day and age? What the -hell- is wrong with Nintendo?
How old is the Wii again?

And by that i mean how old is the specific technology used to make it.

Thats probably the answer to your question.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ok, I have absolutely NO problem with this not going to the WiiU, Nintendo or honestly any console. Please do not interpret me as such.

But I think its really odd that between this, and the whole thing about "NO CONTROLLER SUPPORT" (again, dont care if it does or doesnt)it really seems like this whole project is going out of its way and bending over backwards to piss people off. I dont think anyone had envisioned it going to any console, but to proactively come out and say "NO NINTENDO TOYS!" seems like a random jab just to generate controversy and attention.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Hopefully the WiiU is better made then the Wii.

I've got patches bigger than a measly 40MB.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Nintendo has always treated their developers poorly, couple that with weak hardware and draconian expectations of control it's no wonder most of their third party development is gone.