New Birdman Trailer Takes to the Skies

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
New Birdman Trailer Takes to the Skies

Michael Keaton stars in the surreal black comedy as a washed-up actor best known for playing a superhero.

Michael Keaton starred as Batman in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman, and the sequel Batman Returns. For many people, Keaton is inseparable from his role as Batman, and that theme comes across heavily in his latest film. In Birdman, Keaton stars as an actor famous for his iconic role as the superhero Birdman (no, not teaser trailer [http://video.adultswim.com/harvey-birdman-attorney-at-law/]. Birdman also stars Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton, Andrea Riseborough, Amy Ryan, Emma Stone, and Noami Watts. It is set for release on October 17, 2014.

Director Alejandro Iñárritu is known for films with intertwining stories, like Babel, and his last feature film, Biutiful, was a dark story about a man who can see his imminent death. Iñárritu is joined by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, who won an Oscar for his work on Gravity. Lubezki and Iñárritu have filmed Birdman so that it The Film Stage [http://thefilmstage.com/news/new-images-from-alejandro-gonzalez-inarritus-ambitiously-captured-birdman/ ] reports that the film uses connects no more than a dozen single shots, using CGI and black spaces to form a continuous sequence.

[gallery=2950]

With the giant mechanical birds, explosions, and telekinesis featured in the trailer, Birdman looks like a very interesting take on both comeback tales and superhero fare. Frankly, I never thought I'd be so excited about a film that apparently heavily features Keaton in his underwear. What do you think?

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/31/5955103/birdman-trailer-michael-keaton-is-a-washedup-superhero]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit, I am intrigue now thank to this newest trailer. It make me wonder if some of the current superhero actors/ actess may face a similar position to that character in the future? (Probably not like e.g. Robert Downing Jr may had become the face of Iron Man but I still know him for his non superheroes roles.)

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
McMarbles said:
You have no idea how disappointed I am that this isn't a Harvey Birdman movie.
So very very disappointed... I would see either a Harvey Birdman, or an actual Birdman film far before this.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
shirkbot said:
McMarbles said:
You have no idea how disappointed I am that this isn't a Harvey Birdman movie.
So very very disappointed... I would see either a Harvey Birdman, or an actual Birdman film far before this.
It doesn't stop anyone from making Harvey Birdman jokes all through out the movie. It looks like good rifftrax material to say the least.

madigan

Oct 27, 2010
Man, this looks like a really interesting film! I love Michael Keaton too (in his whole breadth of work, not just as Batman), so this is really right up my ally.

I'm still not entirely sold that it will be a "great" film, because it also looks to be like one of those films that is trying SO HARD to be "about" something AND have lots of characters AND use tricky "they don't teach this at film school" production techniques (since it's designed to look like a single take). That is probably way too ambitious for the people that are involved, but hey, more power to them if they can even part-way pull it off.

At the very least I'll get to see some grade-A scenery chewing from Keaton, so they've already got my ticket purchase. :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
[HEADING=1]BIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRDMAN!!![/HEADING]

Come on, Birdman's too hokey a hero to make a movie on. Give us Hawkman or Hawkgirl, give us Warren Worthington The 3rd, but don't give is Birdman...

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Okay, seeing the weird costume in the preview pictures, I thought this was going to be a much different movie.
But anyway.
I'm really interested in this, a washed-up actor trying to prove he's still relevant, I don't know, that seems really appealing to me.
Don't know how hot I am about the one-take illusion. I mean, at least they're admitting they're making it "look" like one take instead of saying it is (I'm' looking at you, Silent House) but while I'm okay with long single takes but making a whole movie look like one, I don't know.
But, glass half full, looks pretty cool.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I was actually expecting a little kid at end of the trailer to appear and say: why is that man naked?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
FalloutJack said:

Come on, Birdman's too hokey a hero to make a movie on. Give us Hawkman or Hawkgirl, give us Warren Worthington The 3rd, but don't give is Birdman...
Because we'd never make a movie about a hokey superhero... *coughcoughThorchough* All snark aside, they're just character suits which can be as hokey or genuine as any writer/director wants.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
shirkbot said:
FalloutJack said:

Because we'd never make a movie about a hokey superhero... *coughcoughThorchough* All snark aside, they're just character suits which can be as hokey or genuine as any writer/director wants.
I actually feel Thor is being done rather well. The weak link in the Avenger chain is thine Hulk. Still, how many serious movies we got about a superhero Hanna-Barbarian?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
FalloutJack said:
I actually feel Thor is being done rather well. The weak link in the Avenger chain is thine Hulk. Still, how many serious movies we got about a superhero Hanna-Barbarian?
I think the Thor movies are fine, but that was what I was getting at. Thor of the comics is dopey, much like Birdman, but it works out because of the adaptation realizing what makes sense and what doesn't. Was Hanna-Barbarian a thing?

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
shirkbot said:
Was Hanna-Barbarian a thing?
Ah, no. That was a joke outta' Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, shouting insults between characters. Characters out of a Hanna-Barbara cartoon of that age, though, were like hokey comics to a new level. Comics might have to explain in text what's going on, but the characters in these cartoons were visual and talking up a storm anyway. Birdman sees a dam burst around some rocky hills, say, and halts in mid-air going...

[HEADING=3]"I'll use my Solar Ray to erect a new dam from those hills!"[/HEADING]

...and then he does so, not having to really announce it as everyone can see it happening, in Technicolor! Him and Space Ghost might be the leading perpatrators of this oddity, of Ludicrous Speeching.