New Book Claims Soviets Orchestrated Roswell UFO Scare

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
A few years ago, I used to work at a warehouse that sold electrical supplies and such. One day we get a pretty standard order for a bunch of fluorescent light bulbs, and the guy came over to pick them up himself. I don't know why, but for whatever reason he wanted to try to impress us by saying (in a complete deadpan, mind you) that these lights were for Area 51, and his company was hired to install them.

I replied to him with something like: "Oh so the United States Air Force is now outsourcing their light bulb duties to small, almost unknown private companies in Las Vegas? It seems strange that they'd go through all that trouble just to screw in a few dead light bulbs."

To this day, I still don't know what compelled him to pull that out of his ass. Maybe he was trying to be funny, or perhaps he attempting sarcasm or something. He sounded completely serious when he told us this, so instantly it reminded me of that schoolyard mentality of "that one kid" who would make up outlandish stories just to impress everyone. You'd think people would eventually grow out of that.

As a child I've always been obsessed with space and aliens and shit, but even then and now I find it hard to give a shit about the Roswell incident. After so many years, it seems obvious that whatever happened there made absolutely no difference in the long run, so people who still cling to their alien theories seem like large children to me.

EDIT - On another note:
AVPMechman said:
Notably, the author previously made the news for trying to have a bunch of middle eastern musicians arrested for being terrorists because they went to the bathroom too much during a flight.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/skyterror.asp
So really, she never HAD any credibility to lose.
Remember, kids:

Hold in your urine, FOR FREEDOM!

Active bladders are terrorist bladders.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I like to believe that it was imported nazi technology myself, and that's not completely baseless, either.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Rex Fallout said:
This proves nothing I have heard of several so called, 'eye witnesses' who were there who later came out and claimed that all of the scientific advances that happened afterward, lasers, night vision goggles, etc. All came about because there was an alien space craft that crashed that had those items on board. That there was some metal in the ship that was extremely strong yet flexible- Although I have to admit this is one I hadn't thought of yet. I'm still gonna go with little green men. Far more fun.
Bah, the number one technological advance in human history came from that spaceship, velcro!

Ultratwinkie said:
Secondly, the theory states that children were genetically altered to look like the greys. How did they genetically alter DNA when we couldn't even test SPERM until 1986? And how did the children survive such a drastic change?
lmfao! :D Nice catch.

thiosk said:
Watson and crick didn't even figure out the structure of DNA until 1953, let alone sequencing and modifying it. Prior to this discovery, genetic engineering would have consisted simply of crossbreeding greyish colored people.
I love this community. :D

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Firstly, it's not her theory. People have believed this has been a Soviet experimental aircraft since the damn thing crashed.

It's a very plausible explanation. During WW2 the Germans tested with a lot of unconventional aircraft, such as Ho-229 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229] and Fl-282 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flettner_Fl_282]. A lot of these "Wunderwaffe" were reverse-engineered by the USSR after the war, the famous example being the V2 rocket, but there were others.

Genetically altered pilots are unlikely, as people have already said, at the time little was known of genetics. Surgically altered, though, that is possible. Individuals like Dr Mengele experimented heavily in surgical and chemical alteration (of course, Mengele was a highly disturbed individual, and the majority of his "experiments" were little more than excuses for sadistic torture). Soviet Science took a good degree of pride in it's medical abilities at that time (the dog's head experiment comes to mind, but again, there were others).

So, think about it, if the greatest threat to your nation had developed an aircraft capable of flying undetected all the way from Russia to New Mexico, you'd be somewhat concerned too, wouldn't you? Enough to seize said aircraft and hastily move it to a secure location?

Saying it must be Aliens is just mad.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I wouldn't mind the Soviets launching something, but when you get to the mutant children ... well you may want to pitch this to Hollywood.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
Rex Fallout said:
This proves nothing I have heard of several so called, 'eye witnesses' who were there who later came out and claimed that all of the scientific advances that happened afterward, lasers, night vision goggles, etc. All came about because there was an alien space craft that crashed that had those items on board.
Sounds like the first Transformers movie...

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
In case anyone does believe this sillynes, here's the sceptical analysis by Brian Dunning:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4079

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I know someone who swears that the moon landing was staged at Area 51. 100% seriously.

He's a bit...Well, he likes to think outside the box.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Secondly, the theory states that children were genetically altered to look like the greys. How did they genetically alter DNA when we couldn't even test SPERM until 1986? And how did the children survive such a drastic change?
Obviously the government had this technology way earlier, but was keeping it secret for potential nefarious uses.

Hey. 30% the country believes that Obama faked his birth certificate, went back in time to have a birth announcement placed in a newspaper and is spending vast amounts of money to cover up his identity. People believing the above is NOT unlikely.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
...the Soviets. Really? Now that the bearded dude is dead, we have to resort back to the SOVIETS for fear mongering?

At this point, I'd like to announce my new upcoming book: "Forum Poster Points and Laughs at the Wingnuts".