New CastleVania & SOTN HAAATTTEEE

Feb 4, 2010
Axolotl said:
So what are these people complaining about exactly?

I could understand 2D fans complaining about 3d games sucking and newer people hopeful of the 3D game complaining about the 2D games sucking. But complaining about the upcoming 3D game sucking because the height of the 2D games sucked? Who would do that?
The problem is that you are thinking logically instead of giving into raw, unfounded hatred.

Go stare at your pillow until you are convinced it has killed your family and put you thousands of dollars in debt. Only then will you understand, grasshopper.

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
it doesnt look like dracula will be featured on the new game (which looks awesome). bummer. but me being a longtime CV fan, i'll definatly give it a shot.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
The problem is that you are thinking logically instead of giving into raw, unfounded hatred.
But where's the rage coming from? I understand it when a Fallout 3 video comes out and a howl of impotent rage emerges from RPG codex/NMA. I understand when Diabalo 3 is announced and whines are heard across the internet. I understand when DnD 4e is mentioned and a thread is dragged down in a sea of flames.

But I can't grasp the position of people critisising SOTN AND LoS. Who are these people? How can they think such things? Where do they come from?

Feb 4, 2010
Axolotl said:
But where's the rage coming from? I understand it when a Fallout 3 video comes out and a howl of impotent rage emerges from RPG codex/NMA. I understand when Diabalo 3 is announced and whines are heard across the internet. I understand when DnD 4e is mentioned and a thread is dragged down in a sea of flames.

But I can't grasp the position of people critisising SOTN AND LoS. Who are these people? How can they think such things? Where do they come from?
That's exactly it: it has no basis. There's a subculture on the internet wherein it's cool to rip on everything just to rip on it. Apparently liking things is the antithesis of un-gayness. People don't really need a reason to troll on the internet.

I bet you many of the trollers own a copy of SotN and enjoy the hell out of it. Either that or they sit down to play it for hours at a time, muttering to themselves about how they hate it.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I can see why some people may not like it especially if they went through the later metroidvanias,it's lacking some minor things but it's still great and probably my second favorite in the series.

Lords of Shadow does look interesting from the trailer alone.Also I read a some of the youtube comments and it was a clusterfuck of What the hell.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Hey, why is it forbidden to hate on Symphony of the Night and Lords of Shadow? If it's not forbidden to hate on Mario and Tetris, NOTHING is forbidden. Also, taking Youtube commentators seriously won't bode well for you.

Judging by my previous experiences with Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, I'm not impressed by this new 3D Castlevania. I have zero expectations from the new developers and zero confidence from Kojima's involvement. (if anything I'm afraid it would actually hurt the game more than help it)

I find it hard to be impressed by a teaser trailer. Show me a (real) gameplay trailer and then I will take it more seriously. Also, having a fixed camera and using the whip with the right analog stick can be a recipe for disaster as Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Too Human so exemplary demonstrated.

The only positive is that they are supposedly taking their inspirations from older Castlevania games, so that might be something. I mean, the series were becoming more and more niche what with each installment firmly routed as a Metroidvania or whatever and doing almost nothing to break free from those shackles. But since there is no gameplay trailer as of yet, I'll stick to the "looks like a God of War clone" camp, till Konami manages to prove me otherwise. (I doubt)

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Castlevania has always been a great series of games with the exception of Simon's Quest and the one for 64. Symphony of the Night was the most awesome of Castlevania with Super Castlevania IV at a close second. the only reason people are hating on it is because the emo-angsty kids with no brains are too brainwashed by Twilight and the vomit is spews on Vampire folklore.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
"SotN" was great, but I don't think there's been a good 3D "Castlevania" yet.

Seriously, counting all four that I've played.

This new one, on the other hand, looks great. Lots of fun in the "GoW" wide-spread hack-n-slash + massive brutality genre, and combining it with what I'd consider one of the greatest serials I've ever seen? Nothing short of excellent... in concept.

Man, I hope it's good.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Georgeman" post="9.173335.4844042 said:
Hey, why is it forbidden to hate on Symphony of the Night and Lords of Shadow? If it's not forbidden to hate on Mario and Tetris, NOTHING is forbidden. Also, taking Youtube commentators seriously won't bode well for you.[/quotw]It's not forbidden I just don't understand what angle these people are coming from.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
I love every castlevania game i played (yes, even the 64 one, being the first that i played and having gotten me into the series, though on the 64 i really only play legacy of darkness anymore), and I'm sure this one will be pretty good too. 'Course, I'm a huge metroid fan too, so i suppose that makes sense.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Man. SOTN was amazing.

In fact, only two of the later Castlevania's were better.

Dawn of Sorrow
Order of Eclessia

In truth, they're all awesome AFTER SOTN. Except Harmony of Diss...I didn't like that one too much.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Castlevania SOTN is a a great game BUT it lacks something that the previous Castlevania games lacked, RIDICILOUSLY FUSTRATING DIFFICULTY. I mean I can beat Castlevania SOTN
Yes, including the upside down castle.
and my reflexes are TERRIBLE. Oh noes! You don't die from instant bottomless pit of doom! Besides that the game is great at what it does by merging RPG mechanics and side scrolling into a game that is easy enough for me to beat but yet a friend of mine who is into challenging video games enjoyed it as well.