New Challenger Believes It Owns Cloud Gaming

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Challenger Believes It Owns Cloud Gaming

Thanks to a new patent, T5 Labs is challenging the likes of OnLive and Gaikai to a cloud gaming battle.

Though OnLive believed it was granted a landmark patent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106131-OnLive-Granted-Cloud-Gaming-Patent] in the area of cloud gaming in late 2010, evidently seizing control of the technology, a company called T5 Labs has entered the cloud gaming ring and is already working on a combo. T5 Labs has been awarded a patent in a related area with an earlier filing date, and is considering its options.

OnLive's patent for an "apparatus and method for wireless video gaming" was filed in December 2002, but T5 Labs filed its patent for a "centralized interactive graphical application server" in March 2002, nine months earlier. Graham Clemie of T5 Labs told VentureBeat that the company may "commence a procedure in the U.S. Patent Office known as an 'interference' to establish that T5 Labs, rather than OnLive, is the first inventor and entitled to the patent rights."

Both patents appear to describe a similar technology that works in a different way. T5 claims that its version is better, and I'm sure OnLive would say the same. OnLive told Joystiq that it looked at T5 Labs' patent application and told Clemie that it "saw no relevance whatsoever to OnLive." OnLive also said it deals with "irrelevant patents" all the time, and is confident in its own patent portfolio.

Dave Perry, head of Gaikai, another cloud company that hopes to use the technology for more than games, doesn't believe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106205-Gaikai-Boss-Not-Worried-About-OnLive-Patent] anyone can patent "remote gaming" because it goes back as far back as the 1970s. That won't stop anyone from fighting over it though.

Source: Joystiq [http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/15/t5labs-patent-onlive/]

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
OnLive's patent for an "apparatus and method for wireless video gaming" was filed in December 2002, but T5 Labs filed its patent for a "centralized interactive graphical application server" in March 2002, nine months earlier. Graham Clemie of T5 Labs told VentureBeat that the company may "commence a procedure in the U.S. Patent Office known as an 'interference' to establish that T5 Labs, rather than OnLive, is the first inventor and entitled to the patent rights."
I don't understand patent law. Neither one of those explicitly states cloud computation, much less cloud gaming. In fact, Onlive's patent doesn't even mention computation at all. If I were the presiding judge, I'd throw out both claims, but expecting lawyers to be rational, or in any way shape or form non-worthless assholes is just hopelessly naive.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
HankMan said:
I thought Square Enix owned the rights to Cloud
http://images.wikia.com/fantendo/images/9/94/Cloud.jpg
this made me lol

Theres money to be made for getting this patent so i guess its worth fighting over. They'll patent everything, the fact corn is a patented product kinda proves my point XD

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
I don't understand patent law. Neither one of those explicitly states cloud computation, much less cloud gaming. In fact, Onlive's patent doesn't even mention computation at all. If I were the presiding judge, I'd throw out both claims, but expecting lawyers to be rational, or in any way shape or form non-worthless assholes is just hopelessly naive.
Actually it seems completely rational. "Cloud" computing is just a buzz word. It doesn't really mean anything. A "centralized interactive graphical application server" is a more apt description of what is going on as opposed to a "cloud", but it doesn't roll of the tongue as well or sell to the masses either.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
BoogieManFL said:
I thought of something that is basically this back around 2001. WHERE MAH MONEY?!
Tesla thought of it in the 19th century.

OT: If one company does end up owning the "Cloud" concept I can't see that boding well for any of us. How long before we have to pay for Non-optional Cloud use? Doesn't this affect steam as well?

Mar 29, 2008
^kudos for the cloud comment.

Man, these patent battles enrage me, we've had them ever since ENIAC and all they do is threaten the development of new and better technologies and reduce competition.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Veloxe said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Actually it seems completely rational. "Cloud" computing is just a buzz word. It doesn't really mean anything. A "centralized interactive graphical application server" is a more apt description of what is going on as opposed to a "cloud", but it doesn't roll of the tongue as well or sell to the masses either.
True enough, though "centralized interactive graphical application server" makes me think of youtube rather than cloud computing. 'course, the SETI people might also join in with their SETI@home application, followed by Berkeley with Boinc.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
With all of the train wrecks the patenting office has been the center of recently, I wonder if it wouldn't be better just to dismantle the institution entirely. Recently it has served as more of an incentive towards people to just throw nearly random concepts onto a page and submit it, get the patent, and then wait for someone else to actually invent something remotely like what was described so they can collect royalties on it. This isn't a new scheme, of course, but it has gotten so bad that the patent office can't possibly keep up with all of the entries, employ enough experts to understand each entry, and research the millions upon millions of patents already awarded, much less all of their other pending applications. Invention and technology just seems to be moving too quickly for such an antiquated institution to keep up with.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
All this fuss over an inferior way to play games? How silly. You guys enjoy your slap fight, I'm going to be over here playing on hardware I have right here that isn't a giant pile of DRM in disguise (every cloud based game ever is basically a giant ball of Ubisoft/EA "be connected to the internet at all times or get kicked out of the game" DRM, because you lose the connection to the cloud you can't keep playing can you?).

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Let them fight over it, because I doubt it will work/ be available to enough people for a very long time.

Just look at all the online stuff that is not yet available world wide yet, but is still awesome and easyer to get working that "cloud" gaming:
Spotify, Netflix etc.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Would someone please beat up the employees of the U.S. Patent Office, and make them stop granting these vague patents?

Patents are supposed to be for inventions, not ideas.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
It appears from where im standing that you CANNOT patent the effect "remote gaming" but you can patent the CAUSE "the technology behind it" if you invent a packet switching or a software jigamoroo or a whatsit that you belive is better, then have at it, its all yours and yours to keep. Patent filed.

You just cant patent "remote gaming" as a whole. That would be like patenting "rocket pack" or "candy"

And i think they agree.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Oh good cloud gaming not only brings lag, and an unnescessary amount of control service side, but also more venues for frivilous litigation... Great.

Baggie

Sep 3, 2009
I wonder what the face of the winning CEO will look like after realize what he just won.