New Civ V DLC Lets You Discover America All Over Again

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
New Civ V DLC Lets You Discover America All Over Again

New downloadable content for Civilization V offers two new nations, Spain and Inca, and a playable scenario that recreates Columbus' expedition across the Atlantic.

Firaxis has been pretty quiet since the free Mongol DLC came out in late October. Perhaps that's because the team has been working on cranking out the latest DLC, a pack that features two new nations to command together with a scenario. Unimaginatively titled Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca, the pack will be available at all "major digital distribution retailers" on Thursday, December 16th. In another odd bit of pricing (the Babylonian civ cost $5 while the Mongol pack was free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104490-Ravage-the-World-as-Genghis-Khan-with-Free-Civ-V-DLC]), the Spain and Inca DLC will set you back $7.49.

[gallery=68]

The scenario that comes bundled allows you to play as France, England or Spain and send explorers across the sea in search of Asian riches. Given that the Incas are a playable Civ now, it's a good chance that you will encounter them in the New World, along with Montezuma of the Aztecs and Hiawatha of the Iroquois presumably.

Spain's leader is Isabella, and their unique unit seems to be some kind of conquistador. According to a community manager on 2K's Civ V forums [http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?99825-New-DLC-quot-Double-Civilization-and-Scenario-Pack-Spain-and-Inca-quot-is-on-the-way&p=1297460#post1297460], Isabella's unique trait is that she receives a gold bonus when discovering Natural Wonders before any other civ, and that all happiness or City State bonuses from discovering Natural Wonders is increased by 50%.

The Incan civilization is led by Pachacuti, who increased the influence of his people from present-day Bolivia to Argentina. His unique trait is called "Great Andean Road" and allows units to move into hills without a movement cost. In addition, improvements such as roads cost no maintenance when on hills and cost half when built on any other land type. The unique building is a terrace farm, which I assume will replace the granary and provide a food bonus, while Pachacuti unique unit is called a slinger. My bet is that the slinger replaces the archer, perhaps with an increased range.

All in all, the pack looks fun but I think the $7.50 price tag is pretty steep.

Wilcroft

Oct 31, 2008
To be fair, it's still cheaper than the Babylonian Civ, since that was $5 for one and this is $7.50 for two. Mind you, Spain's bonuses sound pretty pathetic, so maybe it only counts for half a Civ....

On the flip side, the Incan half-price-or-less roads sounds awesome

*Edit*: Still way too expensive. I would pay $4 or $5 for this (ie ~$2 / civ), but not $4 each.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Bit of a joke, really. I was hoping Firaxis wouldn't go down this path and that they would stick with expansions.

Sigh.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Reminds me of Colonization which I always preferred to Civilization at the time (both same people though). Actually, its pretty much exactly the same minus the race to liberation it seems.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I'd happily pay the £5 pounds for this- considering the amount of time I'll get out of it, I'm really content with it. Inca and Spain are two really cool Civs I'm looking forward to getting started as.

EDIT: Jesus, the Incas look overpowered.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Disaster Button said:
I wish they would choose the expansion route over adding everything in tiny, expensive DLC chunks.
This. I'm only willing to accept free DLCs and I'm happy to buy expansion packs over DLCs.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Disaster Button said:
I wish they would choose the expansion route over adding everything in tiny, expensive DLC chunks.
Amen to that. I don't really see the appeal in these civilizations. Maybe it's just that I've gotten used to playing as my native country, but a new map and different AI opponents don't really add anything to the game, at least for me...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Ldude893 said:
Disaster Button said:
This. I'm only willing to accept free DLCs and I'm happy to buy expansion packs over DLCs.
I understand why they're charging for DLCs as they are working and should be paid for it but these DLCs are so small. With an expansion they can add tons of new Civs, new features, maps, scenarious and all that jazz at an acceptable price.

laryri

May 19, 2008
The terrace farm appears to be a tile improvement so I would assume it replace the regular farm improvement. Probably gives the same amount of food you would probably get from being next to water considering it is supposed to represent the use of irrigation.

Wilcroft

Oct 31, 2008
Disaster Button said:
Ldude893 said:
Disaster Button said:
I understand why they're charging for DLCs as they are working and should be paid for it but these DLCs are so small. With an expansion they can add tons of new Civs, new features, maps, scenarious and all that jazz at an acceptable price.
Assuming BTS cost $50 when it came out (not unreasonable), it would have cost ~$3 / Leader, which is cheaper that this DLC is. Not to mention it also added new units, Espionage, Corporations, Wonders....

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sigh. Seems that Fireaxis is doing an Empire: Total War, at least in terms of DLC. Gonna push back buying Civ V until an Everything edition comes round. My $10 bux look like they'll be better spent somewhere else (example. [http://dejobaan.com/kickit/] Oh, Dejobaan and their dumb names, never change.)

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the price is fair? Sure Expansions are nice, but there is always an undetermined wait time. With DLC they can release content as they go without any delay, in short its a convenience charge really. If you really think thats expensive, look at some of the prices for DLC on Xbox Live

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Wilcroft said:
Disaster Button said:
Ldude893 said:
Disaster Button said:
Assuming BTS cost $50 when it came out (not unreasonable), it would have cost ~$3 / Leader, which is cheaper that this DLC is. Not to mention it also added new units, Espionage, Corporations, Wonders....
It was priced at $30 at launch.

Anyway, increasing the range of the archer would be very unlikely, as the range three units don't show up until well into gunpowder. It'll probably be either an archer with increased strength or an archer that bypasses some terrain function.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Or you could think of it as including the Mongols, because they have to pay for that extra work somehow.

friedo.obrain

Jan 29, 2010
Oh dammit! Don't they know the smaller the country the bigger the pride?
Portugal discovered half the frigging world and they don't even include us, going instead for spain? I'm now pissed off... and i'm still going to play the damn game -.-

Hamhawk

Aug 31, 2009
Fair warning. The previous DLC Civs (Babylon/Mongol) do not function in multiplayer, even thought they are advertised as such on the steam store. It would be fair to estimate that these new Civs will also not function in multiplayer.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
All right, I'm calling it for the Spanish unique units from the looks of them:

Infantry: "Tercio"- replaces the Musketman (notice that some of the troops carry guns and others carry pikes?), a ranged unit that defends itself very well against cavalry.

Cavalry: "Conquistador"- replaces the Lancer, has a combat bonus vs. infantry instead of cavalry, and can move over rough terrain types (hills, forests, jungles) as if it was open ground.

And that exploration bonus actually sounds pretty potent, especially on smaller maps. More happiness means more Golden Ages.

The Incas, however, also sound like a really powerful civ too and I think they would play a lot like the Iroquios.