New COD game annouced; Going back to Cold War era

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

I must say, I knew there would be another COD game this year, but I definitely wasn't expecting it would go back to Cold War era. The only COD game that was set during Cold War was the first Black Ops IIRC, and the series just kinda went everywhere.

We would have to wait a bit longer seeing the actual game, but I'd say the premise alone has my interest. Hopefully the campaign will be good this time.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Are we certain it's actually going to be set in the Cold War era (1985–1991 going by Wikipedia)?

The only reason I question it is that we didn't get to see any actual game play or shots from the game itself that would give us an indication for when it was and at approx. 1:28 in the video, it states this plan was "Decades in the Making".

It makes me kind of wonder if we're going to get more of a Modern Day Manchurian Candidate kind of thing set in the modern era.

I have nothing concrete to base this off of as we all have in front of us the only source of information, just kind of thinking out loud to myself.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Really? Because it caught me by surprise.

Speaking of which, i think EA is thinking of releasing a new FIFA this year. Wild.
Rumor has it 2K will release a new NBA game too, thus completing the trifecta of yearly franchises getting a new installment that nobody saw coming.
Sorry, I had to.
I, on the other hand, apologize for nothing!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The funny thing is that trailer looks like something I'd expect from, say, a Metal Gear game.

But this is CoD which tends to start and end with SHOOTY BANG GRENADES and stories which, most of the time, tend to be fairly black and white.

It makes me kind of wonder if we're going to get more of a Modern Day Manchurian Candidate kind of thing set in the modern era.
Isn't that basically what Black Ops 1 was about?

That and "THE NUMBERS, MASON! WHAT DO THEY MEAN?"

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This confirms that the world will continue to turn despite 2020 being a fucking mess. If it can't stop the yearly Call of Duty, then it wasn't that bad.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Woo-hoo. Extra hoo. Happy? Wake me up when Shadow Warrior 3 and Serious Sam 4 come out.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The funny thing is that trailer looks like something I'd expect from, say, a Metal Gear game.

But this is CoD which tends to start and end with SHOOTY BANG GRENADES and stories which, most of the time, tend to be fairly black and white.

Isn't that basically what Black Ops 1 was about?

That and "THE NUMBERS, MASON! WHAT DO THEY MEAN?"
That's the other reason I had to think what I thought there. This is part of the Black Ops series, which has typically been a more modern-day CoD rather than being set in the past.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Meh, the series stopped releasing on Steam so I don't care about it anymore. Which is kind of a shame since its stupid and bombastic but generally well made series that can be a lot of fun.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Meh, the series stopped releasing on Steam so I don't care about it anymore. Which is kind of a shame since its stupid and bombastic but generally well made series that can be a lot of fun.
I stopped playing after Infinite Warfare. On one hand, I liked the semi-open campaign mode where you could run around the solar system taking on side missions if you so chose to(a mix of space combat and on foot missions) but the story itself was stupid and trite(oh, I wonder who is going to "sacrifice" for the greater good here).

And by stupid and trite, I mean, even by CoD standards, which is a pretty low bar to begin with.

I was vaguly interested in the MW reboot and while it looked kinda interesting, I also can't really be assed anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I stopped playing after Infinite Warfare.
I stopped after MW2. That people were trying to claim the game was realistic, was one of my reason for not continuing with the series. Also, I just wanted play shooters that weren't constaly trying to copy this, Gears, or Halo.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I stopped after MW2. That people were trying to claim the game was realistic, was one of my reason for not continuing with the series. Also, I just wanted play shooters that weren't constaly trying to copy this, Gears, or Halo.
I liked MW2, but I wouldn't call it realistic by any means. It was at that point for me where the spectacle JUST about was justified by everything else(like right there on the edge of awesome and stupid). And then the games that came after blew way past that point to the point it was impossible to take anything seriously(and there are many, many plot holes in MW2 as it is).

But yeah, the fact everyone tried to copy MW2 doesn't help. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was particularly annoying where they were constantly ribbing MW2, while trying to copy the plot but not being nearly as well executed in the spectacle parts.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I stopped playing after Infinite Warfare. On one hand, I liked the semi-open campaign mode where you could run around the solar system taking on side missions if you so chose to(a mix of space combat and on foot missions) but the story itself was stupid and trite(oh, I wonder who is going to "sacrifice" for the greater good here).

And by stupid and trite, I mean, even by CoD standards, which is a pretty low bar to begin with.

I was vaguly interested in the MW reboot and while it looked kinda interesting, I also can't really be assed anymore.
Yeah, the stories of the cod games tend to have aspects that could be really cool, but then they eff it up. The best story was from COD4, that was just solid. The other MW games went stupid and over the top with it. The story for blops and blops 2 was fine. Inifinite was ok, but the "we are the victims" was at its peak with it. Advanced had some really cool directions it could have gone, but it was also one of those that just turned out ok. Ghost just had a bad story staight up, it was just stupid and more racist then cod tends to be. WW2, holy shit that was a bad almost to the point of parody ww2 story.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Isn't the term "Cold War" used to describe a state of political threats and hostilities between two or more nations without actual warfare? I mean this premise flies in the face of a notoriously action-based shooter, does it not? Unless the game is a walking simulator which would be a fairly jarring turn of pace for the franchise...

HOWEVER...

This would be the perfect premise for another Splinter Cell (yes, I'm going to bring it up as often as I can because I'm angry and tired of being teased, Ubisoft.)

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A big brother's government, who will promise loads of things...

This may work on the mouthbreathers who buy COD no matter what and mindlessly buy FIFA, and or Madden. But it's an anti-progressive message.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Also, let me give you a TLDR of who "Perseus" is/could be/whatever. Basically, when the US was designing the A-bomb, a bunch of scientists didn't like the fact that the US has a nuclear monopoly and may have a leftist bias, but they decide to give the USSR who at the time basically fought off the Nazis the A-bomb designs which were only sped up production of the A-bomb as if you knew physics you knew how atoms worked, and the concept behind the A-bomb. Soviet scientists were only using it to check their work. Granted few leftists knew how bad the Soviets were due to the American News suppressing the Ukrainian massacre in the 1930s, and this did change with the Hungarian revolution in 1956.