New Creative Team For DC's Wonder Woman Announced

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
New Creative Team For DC's Wonder Woman Announced

Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang depart, replaced by artist David Finch and wife.

DC Comic's monthly title of Wonder Woman is getting a facelift. Starting with Issue 36 in November, husband and wife duo David and Meredith Finch will attempt to bring the iconic character into a different light.

Since the start of the New 52 back in September of 2011, the Amazonian Princess has had her origins altered. Instead of simply being a clay figure brought to life by magic, it is revealed that she is the natural-born daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta- thus making her a demigoddess. Her newfound connection to the Greek Gods causes her to clash with other mythological beings.

The Finches aim to peer inside the character by exploring her personal relationships with not only her fellow members of the Justice League (including Superman), but the Amazons as well.

"We wanted to make her a little more flawed. She doesn't always necessarily have the answers," artist David Finch said on Monday in an interview with USA Today.

Another goal the team shares is to reinforce the more feminine aspect of the character to better appeal to a growing female audience. Since her creation in 1941, Wonder Woman has been primarily written by men. "Women tend to act in a different way," said writer Meredith Finch. "It makes sense if you're going to try to attract that female market that you appeal to them on every level- your writing demographic reflects the demographic of your readership."

"A big part of what Meredith wants to do is write a story about a woman who is trying to take on all those different things and try to make them all work together," David Finch added. "With (superhero) movies being so popular and the audience that comics have, it's really the right time for Wonder Woman.

Been reading Wonder Woman since Issue #1? Give us your opinion on the new creative change by commenting below..

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/06/30/wonder-woman-comic-book-series/11352213/]
Image Source: David Finch

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I know he's just the artist - not the writer - but David Finch did say some disconcerting things on the subject of Wonder Woman...

"We want her to be a strong ? I don?t want to say feminist, but a strong character. Beautiful, but strong."
"I wasn't saying Wonder Woman is not for being equal, and therefore a feminist. I just want her to be a human being, fallible and real."
The implication being that a feminist would make her not human, fallible or real? I don't know. Maybe he's just really, really, really bad at expressing his thoughts.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
As long as there's no "sexy" spine breaking that is all to common with comic book artists, male or female, this could be kind of cool. I don't really read Superhero comics that much, but getting off my ass and staying up to date with one isn't a bad idea.

For a point of reference on what constitutes a "sexy spine breaking" pose that is too common in female superheroes, it's something like this:

[sup]Kate Beaten, Hark a Vagrant. Could you tell this comic's about history?[/sup]

But seriously, even Wonder Woman keeps getting this, and it annoys me. I hope that stops. Because it sucks.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
JediMB said:
I think he means that if they have to call her a feminist to be a strong character, then she's not a strong character. Then there's also the recent stigma of shouting that you're a feminist makes everyone want you to just shut up and do something other than stage obnoxious gatherings that could easily be mistaken with hate rallies. Vocal minority ruining it for the working majority and all that.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Nobody panick! We're just giving the Wonder Woman feeeeeeeelings. LOOK INTO THOSE VULNERABLE EYES before she breaks you in half.

I dunno, I really don't care about it, much. Just write something good. Her gender is supposed to be a detail, not the whole point.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Well can't judge it till I see it - As much as I like the current run, it kind of got bogged down into repeatedly going through the motions of rescuing and losing Zola over and over again. Hope the new run continues the involvement of the Pantheon - always love the angle on Wonder Woman of the deities being active participants in events.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
JediMB said:
I know he's just the artist - not the writer - but David Finch did say some disconcerting things on the subject of Wonder Woman...

"We want her to be a strong ? I don?t want to say feminist, but a strong character. Beautiful, but strong."
"I wasn't saying Wonder Woman is not for being equal, and therefore a feminist. I just want her to be a human being, fallible and real."
The implication being that a feminist would make her not human, fallible or real? I don't know. Maybe he's just really, really, really bad at expressing his thoughts.
I suspect that he's one of those people that associate the word "feminist" with "man-hating ideologue" (edit: or perhaps just paranoid that too much of his fanbase would). This assumption itself is troubling, but again, he's not writing, so I will withhold judgement until I see what Meredith Finch has in store for the character. This may have just been a really bad way of saying "she's not going to be some WOMEN MUST RULE stereotype".

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
JediMB said:

I'm not getting that. I just think people find feminists to be annoying, overbearing witch hunters while strong willed women are A-OK.

OT: We sure this was just announced? I remember reading about it months ago and how people were miffed that Finch's wife was writing. People feel like he's a B-list talent that's received way more A-list work than he deserves so adding his wife to the mix riled a few people up.

Also, if he wants to portray Wonder Woman as a strong willed woman he needs to stop drawing her with that vulnerable look in her eyes. He did that with Catwoman when he was drawing Justice League of America. He's a samefacer and it wouldn't be so bad if the face didn't say "please fuck me."

Mave

Jan 26, 2014
ticklefist said:
I agree with you, I really don't really get why he states that he wants to portray "strong willed" when she's already like that with Chiang Azarello team, I don't like his wonder woman from JL and I love anime and manga but man she looks like a bishojo wonder woman and it just doesn't fit her, you can just compare the two styles.

This is sad I think the current team ( Chiang Azarello) is doing a great job, yeah maybe they centered too much on saving Zola or her son way to much but,still it was really a fresh take on WW and I really enjoyed the new approach for old greek Gods the team had, besides you can see the art style is different to other comic and isn't centered on WW being a woman and more on her being a a warrior, I mean they actually upgrade her to a demigod and then to the goddess of war -_-, when reading finch JL he centered on how WW was steve trevor girlfriend and the becoming superman current love interest, meeeeeeh .

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
ticklefist said:
Also, if he wants to portray Wonder Woman as a strong willed woman he needs to stop drawing her with that vulnerable look in her eyes. He did that with Catwoman when he was drawing Justice League of America. He's a samefacer and it wouldn't be so bad if the face didn't say "please fuck me."
Yeah, I know a lot of people have complained about his "sameface" style. And while I didn't mention in it in my original post, his "beautiful, but strong" line bothers me since it seems to imply that (in his mind) strength and beauty are attributes that are at odds with each other.