New Daggerdale Trailer Goes Up the Tower That's Down the Mine

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Daggerdale Trailer Goes Up the Tower That's Down the Mine

A new Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale [http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Daggerdale-Pc/dp/B002I0JLEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303414995&sr=8-1] trailer sets the stage for yet another attack on the Dalelands by an overblown, ridiculously-attired evil wizard with a bad accent.

Your mission, gentlemen, is a simple one: in the rugged lands of the Desertsmouth Mountains, deep within the ancient dwarven mines of Tethyamar, lies the entrance to a great tower constructed by the evil wizard Rezlus of the Zhentarim. Find the entrance. Scale the tower. Kill everything.

It may not be the most elaborate story to come along since Tolkien put pen to paper but there's a certain old-school charm to be found in vast Dwarven caverns, a looming, evil tower and putting the gears to those poor slobs who still haven't managed to find a better place to live than the Dalelands. And given that gameplay seems firmly rooted in the "click to clobber" tradition, I suppose there's not much point in going overboard with plot.

I do have to wonder, though: who builds a tower inside a mine? And why do so many bad guys wear horned skulls as shoulder pads? You'd think they'd be constantly poking themselves in the ear with those things.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale, aka Triple-D [if I have my way] is an "episodic, module-based" action adventure slated for release this summer on the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
See, they should've given us this one first. Why they showed us a character bio before any semblance of story is just dumb.

Though I still need to see some real gameplay (and not just a character bio!) before I can put any kind of real thoughts towards this game.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Actually, it's more like Quad-D

D&D:DD

OT: I'm actually looking forward to getting this game. Could use a few good Dungeon-crawlers, and I don't care that it's 4e rules.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
Yo dawg, I heard you liked being on top of things while you were below things so we put a tower in your mine so you could be high up while you're deep down.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
The guy just want to be left alone. He built a huge tower in a goddamn MINE, and put up heavy security. He really just want to study and read poetry. But what do we do? We raid the god-damn thing and make fun of his choice of fashion.

"Ooooh, but he's eeeeviiiil!"
Maybe he's evil because everyone made fun of his accent as wizard-school! Huh!? Ever think of that?
Maybe he dresses that way because where he is from, it is stylish!

"But what if he wants to take over the wooooorld!". Okey, here's an idea; Why don't we put down some scouts? If we see him gathering an army, or sense with our wizards that he is summoning Cthulu or whatever, we just collapse the god-damn mine ontop of him. It's a MINE, the entrance and tunnels of which aren't exactly renowned for their stability.

But no, you just need to take him down. Put him in his place, because he has a different world view.

Bastards, all of ye!

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Your mission, gentlemen, is a simple one: in the rugged lands of the Desertsmouth Mountains, deep within the ancient dwarven mines of Tethyamar, lies the entrance to a great tower constructed by the evil wizard Rezlus of the Zhentarim. Find the entrance. Scale the tower. Kill everything.
Now, synchronise sundials.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
Even as a D&D storyline that sounds really bland. Aside from the whole "tower in a mine" bit and seeing the villain with WoW style shoulder pads this only served to showcase the shitty looking graphics.

Also, is this really supposed to be using a 4e rule set? I cannot understand why anyone would do that. I actually like 4e but it really doesn't lend itself to anything other than turn based, grid style gameplay. 4e has way too many reactionary and interrupt abilities that simply won't function in a real time game. I also don't see how adapting the powers system of class abilities to real time is a good idea. Particularly when you are dealing with nearly all of a character's powers being limited use. I just can't see how this game could ever feel like 4e. If it doesn't even feel like the game it is based on then why are we making it? I mean, without the class powers the basic rules functionality is hardly that different from 3.5e.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Is this turn-based? I didn't quite get that impression from the trailer. It would be a real shame if it was real time. As someone who is used to 3.5, I am already a bit wary of this game, but if it is also real-time, I am even less interested.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Realitycrash said:
The guy just want to be left alone. He built a huge tower in a goddamn MINE, and put up heavy security. He really just want to study and read poetry. But what do we do? We raid the god-damn thing and make fun of his choice of fashion.

"Ooooh, but he's eeeeviiiil!"
Maybe he's evil because everyone made fun of his accent as wizard-school! Huh!? Ever think of that?
Maybe he dresses that way because where he is from, it is stylish!

"But what if he wants to take over the wooooorld!". Okey, here's an idea; Why don't we put down some scouts? If we see him gathering an army, or sense with our wizards that he is summoning Cthulu or whatever, we just collapse the god-damn mine ontop of him. It's a MINE, the entrance and tunnels of which aren't exactly renowned for their stability.

But no, you just need to take him down. Put him in his place, because he has a different world view.

Bastards, all of ye!
I concur, my good sir.