New diseases affecting Americans: Foxitus and FoxMania

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm somewhat troubled by you defining "not being into watching people die as spectator entertainment" as "squeamish"

Considering my own personal dislike of watching actual violence/harm/death to real living beings, versus all the people I know and grew up with that are into that kind of thing, I consider myself the more stable and not fucking psychotic example. I remember watching a Faces of Death when I was probably...shit...14 or so? And one of the clips was of some people literally blow torching a live pig/boar, and it was squealing in agony the whole time. And this clip went on for a LONG time. My friends were laughing...I wanted to throw up.

Empathy isn't a bad thing.
1620695695700.png

Seems to fit quite well.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sort of.

The idea is that people hanged were supposed to die of a broken neck, but it had to be done properly to achieve that: the noose needs to set right around the neck, and they need to fall in the the right way a long enough distance. By the 20th century, professional executors had got it down pretty well. But prior to that there are all too many depressing stories of people having to go under the platform and yank on the hanged person's legs to try to make their vertebrae separate because it didn't happen during the fall.

It's sort of odd to think that executing people was something that was supposed to happen, yet for the victim to take a minute or two to die, writhing and gasping, was just a bit too awkward, unpleasant and uncomfortable for everyone who'd come to see the spectacle.
Ok, weird question, but could you do it the other way so their neck didn't break and they strangled? Cause a minor character says "And I'll tie the know myself to ensure you strangle slowly!" in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, but I always thought if you were dropping them, rather than pulling them up, you might not be able to guarantee that.

What's even more interesting is how squeamish people got as time went on. Just a couple hundred years prior going to an execution and watching someone get tortured to death was a fun day for the whole family that people camped out for and brought snacks.

Hell, the last time the breaking wheel was used in a public execution was in the mid 1800s, so it was only about 2 generations between "make him suffer as much as possible for his sins" and "eww he's turning blue someone make it go faster."
Lynching postcards are relatively recent. And you get big cheering crowds outside of places that are executing someone. Not families of victims or anything, just spectators.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Ok, weird question, but could you do it the other way so their neck didn't break and they strangled? Cause a minor character says "And I'll tie the know myself to ensure you strangle slowly!" in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, but I always thought if you were dropping them, rather than pulling them up, you might not be able to guarantee that.
Quite easily, actually. Make the drop too short, and there won't be enough momentum to do the snap. One of the problems with hanging as an execution method, actually, is the number of ways it could go wrong. Too short of a drop, and you get a strangling instead of a neck break, which is bad. Give the rope too much slack, and you could very well end up with a decapitation.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I should point out that I would really love celebrities and pundits to not influence the media so much. Eg. With the centrist media leading up to releasing the Mueller report was all in on the Russian conspiracy. They did calm down a bit afterwards but it was still a mess. But then Greg Greenwald claims of 'nothing happened' is also very untrue and shows he read none of it before blurting out.

Like, Fox is bad for this, but everyone needs to pick up their integrity a bit
I hate how everyone seemed to ignore the fact that Muller could only find trump 'not not guilty'. Muller was working under the assumption that he couldn't find trump guilty and charge him. That process was for congress to figure out and it came down to an impeachment and vote on party lines as was expected.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
One of the problems with hanging as an execution method, actually, is the number of ways it could go wrong.
Why the guillotine is superior. Everything that can go wrong with it tis designed and prepped beforehand to prevent issues.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This thread is getting way off topic with the hangings. Save that one for the off topic thread or shower thoughts.

Let's get back on track on the idiotic fools that won't take responsibilities for their actions.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
On the topic of fools that won't take responsibility for their actions, Joy Reid once blamed time-traveling hackers for her homophobic blog posts.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
What era did they time travel from? The 1950's?
She didn't actually allege time travel herself, it just makes about as much sense as the possibility that someone hacked the wayback machine archive, which is what she apparently did allege rather nonspecifically. Viral descriptions of her statements added the time travel part, perhaps because people overlooked that she was alleging that it was wayback machine that was hacked, or maybe she at a different point said that her blog had been hacked directly. In any case, if there was time travel, it would have been from 2018 Russia (!) to 2007-2009 to hack her blog.