New Dishonored Screenshots Show Creepy Baby Hat-Mask

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
New Dishonored Screenshots Show Creepy Baby Hat-Mask

Bethesda provides another glimpse into the weirdos of the industrial fantasy game.

The Escapist office is pretty damn excited for Dishonored because it hits all of the right tickle zones. It displays an actually interesting original IP that's steampunk without all the fluff. Couple that with a distinctive art style and gameplay concentrating on stealth and player choice, and Dishonored might just be the breakout hit of 2012. Of course, that also means it could be a huge disappointment of sameyness, but the screenshots Bethesda released today do a lot to assuage any doubt. Dishonored is - at the very least - going to be weird.

Even though there's several images here that show off the strange Gothic-flavored architecture and character models, the shot to note here depicts two disturbing masquerade masks. The one on the left is a frightening moth creature with feathery antennae. That would be remarkable all by itself, but then you look at the baby lady, with doll parts in red chains suspended upside down in her hat. What?

[gallery=874]

Also, there's a huge dead fish and a small demon body on the table.

So yeah, that's Dishonored. I love the fact that these party-goers are not just weird for weirdness's sake. There's a context here that makes these strange costumes fit within the game's setting, and draws me in to want to play Dishonored as soon as it comes out on October 9th for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Is it wrong that I really like the detail in that second picture? The one with the weeper?

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I love that Arkane isn't even in the tags for this article... Most people seem to think Bethesda is making this game...

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
I love that Arkane isn't even in the tags for this article... Most people seem to think Bethesda is making this game...
I've noticed that a lot recently. Going by articles I've read online, I'd believe it was made by Bethesda too. Luckily I take the time to read about games I'm interested in. Hopefully Arkane gets credit where they deserve it though

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That certainly is a tragic looking dog in picture 3. Looks like he'd have a hard time sustaining his own horrifcally deformed body.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I only preorder games when I really, really think they are going to be awesome.
I preordered Dishonored.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I smell TF2 hat promotions coming.

Heavy with scary baby mask anyone?

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I love the painterly textures. It's an idea that's really overdue and looks a lot better than MOAR BUMPMAPS SO REAL.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Those are some great screens - Dishonored looks awesome. It kind of looks like a video game version of Vornheim [http://www.lotfp.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67] (made by Zak, from the Escapist's own I Hit it with My Axe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/i-hit-it-with-my-axe].) They both have a similar baroque-weird-fantasy-city thing going on. That ball with the creepy masks especially looks like something right from Vornheim.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Is it too late to make dead baby jokes?

OT: I think Bioshock proved that even the weird can be interesting and fun. At one part you dress up as a big daddy and spray yourself with big daddy smell.

Mar 26, 2008
It's going to be interesting times ganking some of these creeps. Given the protagonist looks a tad on the freaky side he should have no trouble fitting in with the masquerade ball.