New Doctor Who Trailer Promises Answers and Disaster

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
One of these women is the new Doctor.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SWJT7emprcI/AAAAAAAAHGE/AWhgZGSIbds/s400/matt_smith_woman.jpg

Guess who?

Matt Smith, on the right.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Matt_Smith.jpg

Why does this guy make me shudder?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
JediMB said:
standokan said:
I´ve been wanting to start on dr.Who for a time now but I´ve got no idea where to begin.

That's easy enough.
*Start's up the TARDIS* Here, you can borrow mine...

PS: I recommend swinging by Rome that year. Not often you see the pope selection process in person...

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
My innards are going to become outards if April 23rd doesn't get here faster. I'm obsessed with DW.

Anyone watch the latest Comic Relief with the 2 Doctors/Amys/Rorys? It's quite side splitting.
Amy: You, don't know, which lever?
Doctor: No, but I'm about to find out.
Doctor from a second in the future walks in: The Wibbly lever.
Doctor: THE WIBBLY LEVER!

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
standokan said:
I´ve been wanting to start on dr.Who for a time now but I´ve got no idea where to begin.
Start at the beginning?

Or better still, skip Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee, and start on Tom Baker. Thats where it all gets good!

Belzera

Prinny Puncher
Apr 14, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
I love Doctor Who - I have watched every episode of the 'new' Doctor since 05.

What I want to know is this: Can I get them on a Special Limited Edition - ZOMG this is amazing - type boxset for the 'new' series and will the original 8 doctors, well 7 if you don't count the movie, ever come to a boxset in their full series?
Sorry to say but the BBC doesn't have alot of the early doctor who episodes, they lost them [due to fires i think]

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008

What I want to know is this: Can I get them on a Special Limited Edition - ZOMG this is amazing - type boxset for the 'new' series and will the original 8 doctors, well 7 if you don't count the movie, ever come to a boxset in their full series?
Unlikely, I'm afraid, as a lot of old episodes have been lost or destroyed, after so long. The earlier the episode, the less likely there still exists a decent copy anywhere, even in the BBC Archives. Which is a shame, as I'd certainly love a boxset like that myself :D. Though I'm not sure if there's a 'full revival' boxset, I know each separate series has one, of course :)

Anyway, Comic Relief whetted my appetite for The Doctor, and gave me Amy Pond flirting with herself to boot;). Now this is making me desperate for the new series to start. Roll on April 23rd!

Feb 13, 2008
Trivun said:
I'm not sure you know how many there are.

Canonically, there are 770 episodes - 213 stories (not including this coming season).
(Star Trek, including it's animated series, only gets up to 726)

Some have been lost to time, ironically but if you were to watch every episode, you'd be looking at nearly two years of airtime.

Then there's the Webcasts, Radiocasts, Novels, Graphic Novels, non-canon episodes (The Curse of the Fatal Death), Audiobooks, Scripts, Audioadventures, the Computer Games...

But as a brief run-down:
That gets you to 2008...

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I think the lines "Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords" "Fear me I killed all of them" kind of makes this one stand out more then last season. I will be waiting with baited breath for it on BBC America.

The V Man

Dec 9, 2009
The new season looks to be pretty awesome.

And, for those with the interest in looking, you can find the old episodes - I believe almost all of them - in certain corners of the internet. I've been re-watching from the start in '63, myself. The episodes that were destroyed have been recreated from pictures using recorded dialogue so you can at least get where the story's going. Good for any obsessives (like me) who have a burning need to know when/where/how things started. Also good because there's a huge number of references through the revived series to the earlier events.

Plus it's entertaining to see where the Doctor started, bumbling about through the universe not able to fly the TARDIS particularly well. Or choose destinations for that matter.

Good times.

May 5, 2010
OK, I'm calling it...River's definitely a Time Lord. I mean, she can fly the TARDS, but was taught how to fly by someone who WASN'T the Doctor. It's also been heavily implied that she's his wife, and the only reason he's refused human...affection...in the past is because they age when he doesn't. So it stands to reason that he'd only marry someone if that wasn't a problem.

Also, that "Fear Me" quote...Awesome. The Doctor is a master of the Badass One-Liner.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
c_westerman13 said:
standokan said:
Start at the beginning?

Or better still, skip Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee, and start on Tom Baker. Thats where it all gets good!
Oh dear, skip Hartnell and Pertwee by all means but don't miss out on Troughton, he was one of the more entertaining doctors. The 2nd Doctor and Jamie are the best double act since the new series' companions in my opinion.

Damnit, now I am sad. I always wanted to see the 4th Doctor - supposedly he was one of the best.
I wouldn't worry if I were you, Tom Baker was overated. Numbers 2 and 7 are where it's at. I was quite partial to a bit of 5 as well, although not everyone liked him.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Trivun said:

Unlikely, I'm afraid, as a lot of old episodes have been lost or destroyed, after so long. The earlier the episode, the less likely there still exists a decent copy anywhere, even in the BBC Archives. Which is a shame, as I'd certainly love a boxset like that myself :D. Though I'm not sure if there's a 'full revival' boxset, I know each separate series has one, of course :)

Anyway, Comic Relief whetted my appetite for The Doctor, and gave me Amy Pond flirting with herself to boot;). Now this is making me desperate for the new series to start. Roll on April 23rd!
Damnit, now I am sad. I always wanted to see the 4th Doctor - supposedly he was one of the best.
Amazon has a decent chunk of the episodes on their video service and various DVDs are floating around on ebay and amazon. And various other less reputable sites....

I really don't know how people count the episodes, but I know there are at least 160 full episodes (not counting their individual parts) out there on dvd or other.

May 5, 2010
green_dude said:
I predict something totally over the top and awesome will happen at the end (like the earth blows up or something) then the Doctor will reverse it using troll physics, reverting the series to a less awesome state (and leaving me feeling like I've just cheated).
Bhahahaha, yes. But you forgot to mention that the Doctor and all other important characters will end up unaffected by the troll physics because they're in the "eye of the storm". Seriously, they are ALWAYS in the eye of the storm.