New Doctor Who Trailer Promises Answers and Disaster

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
mikozero said:
PS one of the things you can spot in this clip is the interior of the OLD Christopher Eccleston/David Tennant Tardis
dun dun dur !...
Not just that, there was a clip of River in the 'evil looking' time machine from the episode "The Lodger". Is it related? I wonder what happens? How were the crew killed?

Too many questions, need Doctor Who naow!

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The television highlight of my year as always, though it makes me sad to know they want to split it up into half seasons like they do for shows here in the states. Never have liked that model, the season barely gets started and then they end it until the fall. It breaks up the flow of a show I find.

Suppose I can look at it this way, at least now I won't have to go a full year before new episodes air. (not counting the xmas specials) Which reminds me, I need to buy a fez...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Do note that this year, the series length will be closer to British standards. More specifically, this year there is going to be two 6-episode series. I'd wager most of that trailer involves the first batch of six episodes, with Series 6 ending in a cliffhanger that the first episode of Series 7 will resolve later on this year.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, I'm calling it...River's definitely a Time Lord. I mean, she can fly the TARDS, but was taught how to fly by someone who WASN'T the Doctor.

Also, that "Fear Me" quote...Awesome. The Doctor is a master of the Badass One-Liner.
She was taught to fly the TARDIS by The Doctor, she said so in 'The Pandorica Opens'. River was just busting his balls in 'Time of Angels' when she said "it's a shame you were busy that day".

And yes, that quote was awesome. I'm really looking forward to this, and I love the monster designs.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Also, UK peeps, here's a taster for Episode 1 [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00fxf06].

May 5, 2010
Tank207 said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, I'm calling it...River's definitely a Time Lord. I mean, she can fly the TARDS, but was taught how to fly by someone who WASN'T the Doctor.

Also, that "Fear Me" quote...Awesome. The Doctor is a master of the Badass One-Liner.
She was taught to fly the TARDIS by The Doctor, she said so in 'The Pandorica Opens'. River was just busting his balls in 'Time of Angels' when she said "it's a shame you were busy that day".

And yes, that quote was awesome. I'm really looking forward to this, and I love the monster designs.
Oh. Well, damn. But there's still plenty of evidence, so I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

zenmetzger

Mar 31, 2011
Personally, I think that River is in some way TARDIS personified. Doctor often refers to his ride as "she", and he is kinda "married" to it.

There is also a few lines of hers that actually support this idea, for example in season finale "I don't know why I ever let you out". Of course this is pure speculation, but trying to predict outlandish plot twists in sci-fi shows is a perverse hobby of mine ^_^

Ah, and btw, hello Esscapist.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cue the Daleks and Cyber Men and his complete and utter surprise that they have returned.

You'd think the series writers might have some balls to invent their own major major villain.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
JediMB said:
standokan said:
I´ve been wanting to start on dr.Who for a time now but I´ve got no idea where to begin.

That's easy enough.
No. Start with the classic series. And then skip T.Davies era and rejoin for Matt Smith's Doctor.

Then all you'll get is quality science fiction.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Rednog said:
Captain Placeholder said:
Trivun said:
Captain Placeholder said:
I love Doctor Who - I have watched every episode of the 'new' Doctor since 05.

What I want to know is this: Can I get them on a Special Limited Edition - ZOMG this is amazing - type boxset for the 'new' series and will the original 8 doctors, well 7 if you don't count the movie, ever come to a boxset in their full series?
Unlikely, I'm afraid, as a lot of old episodes have been lost or destroyed, after so long. The earlier the episode, the less likely there still exists a decent copy anywhere, even in the BBC Archives. Which is a shame, as I'd certainly love a boxset like that myself :D. Though I'm not sure if there's a 'full revival' boxset, I know each separate series has one, of course :)

Anyway, Comic Relief whetted my appetite for The Doctor, and gave me Amy Pond flirting with herself to boot;). Now this is making me desperate for the new series to start. Roll on April 23rd!
Damnit, now I am sad. I always wanted to see the 4th Doctor - supposedly he was one of the best.
Amazon has a decent chunk of the episodes on their video service and various DVDs are floating around on ebay and amazon. And various other less reputable sites....

I really don't know how people count the episodes, but I know there are at least 160 full episodes (not counting their individual parts) out there on dvd or other.
I shouldn't really advocate this but... old episodes can be found on some file sharing sites..

Also this site is usually pretty good.

http://www.crossingthewhoniverse.com/index.html

Also Tom Baker is ace, but my fave is Jon Pertwee.

EDIT: Apologies for double post.

SkyC

Sep 14, 2008
I don't really comment on anything ever. And I especially don't want to do it just to be a jerk... but this new season and this new doctor are really, really bad in my opinion. He's a gaudy actor and the story should have ended with David' tenant's death. It was well written and moving and the planned ending of the entire series. But then they milked it so the head writer left and well... now we're stuck with what has amounted so far to mostly failure and plot-holes.

Anyway, that's my two cents. If you enjoy the new series don't let my critiques spoil it for you.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
green_dude said:
I predict something totally over the top and awesome will happen at the end (like the earth blows up or something) then the Doctor will reverse it using troll physics, reverting the series to a less awesome state (and leaving me feeling like I've just cheated).
That should be in spoiler tags.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
SkyC said:
I don't really comment on anything ever. And I especially don't want to do it just to be a jerk... but this new season and this new doctor are really, really bad in my opinion. He's a gaudy actor and the story should have ended with David' tenant's death. It was well written and moving and the planned ending of the entire series. But then they milked it so the head writer left and well... now we're stuck with what has amounted so far to mostly failure and plot-holes.

Anyway, that's my two cents. If you enjoy the new series don't let my critiques spoil it for you.
Either you are a master of very subtle humour or you're a very obvious troll. Either way, you'll need this *hands flame shield*

OT: By the looks of things (plus the teaser Delusibeta posted up), Steven Moffett is going to make us scared of little children again. Really looking foward to this series and while I liked the fact that not everything was explained last season (namely The Silence and River), I'm looking foward to seeing how they end up resolved.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
c_westerman13 said:
standokan said:
I´ve been wanting to start on dr.Who for a time now but I´ve got no idea where to begin.
Start at the beginning?

Or better still, skip Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee, and start on Tom Baker. Thats where it all gets good!
You whether or not you agree with baker fanbois you will have to start with pertwee, as many of the hartnell, and almost all of the troughtons are gone

Pertwee FTW

Elvoret

Mar 3, 2011
It's been going forever.
I wonder if there'll be any callback to any of the older series though...

Ever tried watching any of the older series? The special effects burn like hell (though provide humour), but the storytelling is good, mostly.

Personally I like some of the McCoy ones

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
BUT I WANT IT NOW.

Also I think this is the first doctor beard I've ever seen...cool...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
SirCannonFodder said:
No mention of Neil Gaiman writing episode 4? I am disappoint.

Also, he's killed all the Time Lords. All of them. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/MemeticMutation/Homestuck]
Oh god did he really? That is going to be SO epic. :D
knight steel said:
Logan Westbrook said:
F**K those children puppet monsters nearly made me have a heart attack........ i think we just found the new DW scariest monster {which was originally the angels}.
Yeeeeeep. Hopefully this will be more like the better writing and less of the awful episodes from last season, like the Churchill one. I COULD NOT STAND that one. It was hideous.
snowpuppy said:
YYEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dr who is so awsome!!
OH GOD YES IT IS. :D

Anyways, I must say I CANNOT wait until I find out more about the voice. It sounds amazing.
"FEAR ME. I HAVE KILLED HUNDREDS OF TIMELORDS."
"Fear me. I've killed all of them."
*Melts*

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Wow is that a really Matt Smith in drag or some form of photoshop? If it is former I got to show my wife. She's got a thing for drag. Oh, and that shiver you feel is the unrestrained awesome. He is quirky, but Smith has won me over in his very first episode (and I love Tennant).