New Documentary - Tracking Down the Origin of Wuhan Coronavirus

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Lab accidents happen. Random mutations happen as well.

But as the virus structure is thoroughly investigated by now and every expert agrees that this does not look at all like an artificial virus because it does not have several parts similar to other virus' linked together and instead a pretty unique structure, it is certain that this was a random mutation and not something cooked up in a lab.

So yes, while a virus could possibly escape from a lab, this one certainly did not.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Lab accidents happen. Random mutations happen as well.

But as the virus structure is thoroughly investigated by now and every expert agrees that this does not look at all like an artificial virus because it does not have several parts similar to other virus' linked together and instead a pretty unique structure, it is certain that this was a random mutation and not something cooked up in a lab.

So yes, while a virus could possibly escape from a lab, this one certainly did not.
The argument would be that the escaped virus came from a bat the lab brought in from the wild which had a new strain to study.

Of course, in that case, more bats are brought in to the markets to sell for food, and it'd be a simpler explanation that that is where the virus crossed species. But some folks feel the need to add complications for whatever reason.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Do I still need to wash my hands if I've been to the toilet in my own house?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Do I still need to wash my hands if I've been to the toilet in my own house?
No, washing your hands is a myth propagated by the Illuminati, and empowers them. Never wash your hands, then be sure to touch your face and shake as many hands as possible, to end their rule from the shadows once and for all.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
No, washing your hands is a myth propagated by the Illuminati, and empowers them. Never wash your hands, then be sure to touch your face and shake as many hands as possible, to end their rule from the shadows once and for all.
Ah yes, trace remnants of fecal matter. The bane of secret societies everywhere.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Ah yes, trace remnants of fecal matter. The bane of secret societies everywhere.
You joke, but when I shake the hands of Illuminati members, they get sick and die. It's their secret weakness.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Listen, if we turn the map into a winning round of Plague Inc, then the secret societies lose due to being dead, it's that simple.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
My base assumption would be that "trace amounts of faecal matter" are effectively unavoidable because so many people have modest hygeine standards that any commonly accessible surface (e.g. door handles) is guaranteed to be coated.

This means washing your hands is a great idea, whilst not being that anxious about it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
My base assumption would be that "trace amounts of faecal matter" are effectively unavoidable because so many people have modest hygeine standards that any commonly accessible surface (e.g. door handles) is guaranteed to be coated.

This means washing your hands is a great idea, whilst not being that anxious about it.
You're right, defeating the illuminati will require greater dedication, greater amounts of faecal matter. Our noses may wrinkle, but our wills must remain strong to counter this threat!

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You're right, defeating the illuminati will require greater dedication, greater amounts of faecal matter. Our noses may wrinkle, but our wills must remain strong to counter this threat!
I have to say, my greatest concern are the surprisingly large number of troglodytes who think shoving dozens of pieces of loo roll into the bowl of public toilets on top of their droppings is a suitable alternative to flushing. What the hell is these people's malfunction? It's both disgusting and tends to clog the toilet up so it's unusable. I bet they don't do that in their own home.

Reactions: tstorm823

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I have to say, my greatest concern are the surprisingly large number of troglodytes who think shoving dozens of pieces of loo roll into the bowl of public toilets on top of their droppings is a suitable alternative to flushing. What the hell is these people's malfunction? It's both disgusting and tends to clog the toilet up so it's unusable. I bet they don't do that in their own home.
How do you know?

Somebody has to maintain steady work for the plumbers.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I've...never actually encountered that. What ingenuity! What a crude, yet somehow still subtle, of telling the person after you "I didn't forget to flush. I just want you to smell my shit. It's a good shit, isn't it?" I take my hat off in the presence of such panache, such relentless drive, and such fearlessnes to present one's work to the harshest panel of critics known to man: people who just want to use the toilet.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Here we are in a massive depression, and Agema's trying to take work away from blue collar workers.

Shame...
Yeah, well, they should have got a job in a supermarket. They're still working through the lockdown, aren't they?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Let me put it this way. What do you gain if it does turn out that it was lax lab security that cause it? Nothing, all you get is more anti-Asian fuel for racist idiots. I mean you can't even sue them for causing this if it is indeed true since they are a sovereign power. All it would do would increase hate crimes against Asian people since racists generally can't tell the difference.
OK, so, I've had a few days to stew on this, even though I said I wouldn't contribute to this thread any more, but eh... things are slow at the moment (also leaving aside the fact that I didn't make any mention of 'gaining anything from being right' about a conspiracy theory I acknowledged as being an irrational outburst on my part).

The more I think about it, the less I'm worried about racist attacks in the west IN RELATION TO (i.e. not in absolute terms) racist reprisals in China, or just outright racist conduct in general (because racial discrimination in China is so par for the course it's barely commented on there, hence why it's barely commented on, if at all, abroad). I speak Chinese (two dialects at that), but with a very obvious accent. I can guarantee you that in the current climate, if I'm chatting with friends (anglophonic or sinophonic, we generally have enough cultural awareness to either swap languages regularly mid-conversation or concentrate on the local language) I can stroll down the road in any western city with very little fear of being accosted (leaving aside some people's weird belief that because I grow decent facial hair, I'm apparently more Japanese than Chinese).

However, if I do the same in any mainland Chinese city, dear god the dirty looks and comments I'd invite. I'm Huaqiao, which generates a bizarre mix of admiration and contempt at the best of times (because it makes me Chinese and not Chinese simultaneously and both in the worst possible way), but no matter what comes about of all this, Chinese nationals will be dripfed an anti-western narrative worse than it has been before, and I would genuinely fear for my safety in some corners if I lived in mainland China and people knew that I have a British passport, and ancestry/a wife from their two biggest territorial/diplomatic problems. So it's just as well I don't have an American passport and don't live in mainland China.

Consequently, any racist treatment I and Asian/Asian descended people get in the west will be little compared to the racist treatment foreigners get in China because I will have the protection of laws (or rather, people willing and able to uphold them) and sensible people, foreigners in China get none of the first and few of the second.

Anyway, to answer, your question directly: nothing whatsoever, and well do I know it. Not even vindication, because I've already had that a million times over.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I've always assumed that people doing that are trying to avoid touching public toilets altogether, so the pile of extra paper on top probably isn't a coverup, they probably had it covering the seat while they sat down. So their butt touches the toilet paper instead of the seat, their hand doesn't touch the handle to flush, they naively celebrate that they've avoided all the germs, and screw whoever shows up next.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I've always assumed that people doing that are trying to avoid touching public toilets altogether, so the pile of extra paper on top probably isn't a coverup, they probably had it covering the seat while they sat down. So their butt touches the toilet paper instead of the seat, their hand doesn't touch the handle to flush, they naively celebrate that they've avoided all the germs, and screw whoever shows up next.
Maybe... but I have no idea how they'd need so much paper even for for the toilet seat. They need to get their OCD checked out, too.

Reactions: gorfias

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Now this: Trump claims he's seen evidence that the virus originated in a laboratory.

During the press conference, he seemed visibly unaware that his own Director of National Intelligence had just released a statement that the virus was almost certainly a natural occurrence.

With any previous President, Republican or Democrat, it would be ridiculous to even suspect, but it seems eminently possible here: is Trump literally just lying about this? Just blagging, in the hope it won't be definitively disproved? Exactly how much credence do we give to a statement like this, on a matter of such import?

It's a colossal claim, with colossal implications. If untrue, lying about it is bordering on national scandal.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Now this: Trump claims he's seen evidence that the virus originated in a laboratory.

During the press conference, he seemed visibly unaware that his own Director of National Intelligence had just released a statement that the virus was almost certainly a natural occurrence.

With any previous President, Republican or Democrat, it would be ridiculous to even suspect, but it seems eminently possible here: is Trump literally just lying about this? Just blagging, in the hope it won't be definitively disproved? Exactly how much credence do we give to a statement like this, on a matter of such import?

It's a colossal claim, with colossal implications. If untrue, lying about it is bordering on national scandal.
No offense, that's a pretty shitty link. Here's an article about the quote in question and the surrounding context.

Waiting to see how tstorm's gonna spin this one.