New DOOM Live-Action Cinematic Trailer Has Guns, Demons

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New DOOM Live-Action Cinematic Trailer Has Guns, Demons

DOOM is roughly a month away, and in celebration of the ongoing closed multiplayer beta, Bethesda has rolled out a live action trailer.

In it, you can see the main character blasting away at any number of demons with some fairly potent weaponry, including the iconic double-barreled shotgun that DOOM just wouldn't be DOOM without.

The closed multiplayer beta - for those of you that are lucky enough to be in it - kicked off yesterday and runs through Sunday, April 3. It's your first chance to check out the gameplay before DOOM launches on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on May 13.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
B-Cell will be really happy with this article. Is anyone here playing the beta?

Sep 24, 2008
The only thing I take from this is how Space Marine type Body Armor will probably never be a real thing.

It was so awkward looking and the bulk of padding/armor made bringing the weapon to bare very laborious.

*sighs* And I so wanted to be an Astartes when I grew up.

(I know the joke is impossible, because if I ever was going to serve in the Emperor's Chosen, I would have to been picked when I was 16... also because it's fake.)

Mar 30, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Currently downloading it from the XBL marketplace as we speak. Will have a brief look before heading to my pit (it's gone midnight where I am) but plan on putting in quite some time over the weekend.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hear that it might not be so great.

Poor PC version, and it isn't quite as competitive as other arena shooters (not in my words, I haven't played the beta).

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dang, why is he moving so slow? XD

Otherwise... I'd say it's Doom alright. Don't know if any screaming music fits it per se but general rock definitely fits Doom.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Screaming music doesn't fit Doom.

Also, have to say the double barreled shotgun doesn't like right with the OtT armour.

But, eh, not like it was gameplay footage.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
CaitSeith said:
It hasn't changed a whole bunch since the alpha, which is good. It's not as fast as UT4 or Quake 3/Live, but it's still a fun arena shooter that feels unique. The "hacking modules" aren't enough of a balance difference to be a factor between skilled players.

Each gun is really satisfying to use, and the alt fires allow for some interesting tactics. The combat has a much "heavier" feel to it, but it doesn't slow down. The map design is also great, as this is the first pre-release event with a second map, and I still enjoy my time on Heatwave (the returning map for the Beta). It's not boring to replay the same environment constantly, as map knowledge is such a huge part of playing effectively.

Players seem to have defaulted to a high damage/low R.O.F weapon to start fights and a lower damage/high R.O.F option during close fights. Map knowledge is definitely a major factor, as knowing health locations turns battles easily. Only the power weapons one shot, which is both a pro and con. The higher time to kill allow for defender responses and more engaging gunplay, but some of the impact from headshots/shotgun blasts are lessened.

And the melee finishers are a non issue. They aren't a guaranteed proc, and take such a short amount of time that gameflow isn't interrupted.

The character/weapon customizer is surprisingly in depth, and there's a cosmetic loot drop system for different colors or armor pieces.

OT: The screamo is a little weird, and I liked it better when I saw it without music. But the animations are really cool, and I always enjoy a well done cinematic trailer just to see more of the game's setup.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
F-I-D-O said:
What about ammo count? In the E3 demo it looked like some weapons could only hold a few reloads worth of ammo at a time (20 shells in addition to what was already in the shotgun), is this the case or are we gonna load up on a hundred smexy shells?

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Saulkar said:
F-I-D-O said:
What about ammo count? In the E3 demo it looked like some weapons could only hold a few reloads worth of ammo at a time (20 shells in addition to what was already in the shotgun), is this the case or are we gonna load up on a hundred smexy shells?
You get enough for a few firefights, and at max ammo can hold your own in a full team fight. But at some point, you will have to go around and collect ammo, but the pickups are universal and plentiful enough to make it part of the cycling through health pickups. I've only run out of ammo twice in the current beta, when I couldn't cleanly get out from massive fights (and was using the lighting gun wrong).
Spamming is the only way you'll run out consistently.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Otherwise... I'd say it's Doom alright. Don't know if any screaming music fits it per se but general rock definitely fits Doom.
Of course it does, it's pretty well known that the Doom 1/2 soundtracks are heavily inspired (to the point of plagiarism, some would say) by hard rock and metal music of the later 80's and early 90's, most notably Alice In Chains, Metallica, Pantera and a few others.