New Dragon Ball Z Movie Coming in 2015

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Dragon Ball Z Movie Coming in 2015

The new Dragon Ball Z flick will serve as a sequel to 2014's Battle of The Gods.

Last year's Dragon Ball Z: Battle of The Gods was the first Dragon Ball Z theatrical release in Japan in 17 years, and its even making its way stateside this summer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135591-First-DBZ-Movie-in-17-Years-Dragon-Ball-Z-Battle-of-Gods-Trailer-Powers-Out]. Thankfully, we won't have to wait another 17 years for the next installment of Goku's story, as series creator Akira Toriyama has announced a new DBZ flick will be released in Japan in 2015.

The new film doesn't appear to have an official title yet, but is currently scheduled to premiere during the "Golden Week" holiday period in Japan (a string of Japanese holidays that straddle the end of April and beginning of May). Just like Battle of The Gods (and unlike the forgettable Dragon Ball GT), Toriyama will have direct involvement with the new movie, taking charge of the character designs and script.

He revealed that it will serve as both a sequel to Battle of The Gods, and a broader continuation of the Dragon Ball Z manga. "I've been getting into the minute details of fine-tuning the dialogue," he added. "Really, it's too much for a guy my age to be taking on, but I just got caught up in the excitement of making the movie."

Toriyama also said that he has made a "conscious effort to ramp up the action" this time around.

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/07/16/goku-coming-back-to-theaters-with-new-dragon-ball-z-movie-in-2015/]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I donno... Dragon Ball fans in Japan had a pretty bad reaction to Battle of gods. It was quite shocking the negative reaction. I hope this one is a bit better received.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
MC1980 said:
So when are they going to talk about the Kai version of the buu saga or whatever, seems like they've been working on it for ages. Also, yay hopefully this one's going to be good. (...probably not.)
The Kai version of Dragon ball Buu saga has been airing for 13+ weeks.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Kameburger said:
I donno... Dragon Ball fans in Japan had a pretty bad reaction to Battle of gods. It was quite shocking the negative reaction. I hope this one is a bit better received.
Looking at the box office and the DVD and Blu Ray sales the 'negative' reaction is about the same as for the Transformers in that it makes more money than everything else but everyone hates it on the internet.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Battle of Gods was definitely not in my favourites list for DBZ related films, mostly due to the final fight being rather lackluster (seriously, the battle felt far less intense than the fight between Goku and Cell), Gohan being slapped aside despite according to Toriyama being stronger than ssj3 Goku, and the CGI was not so good.

But I liked Birus as a character, found it rather funny, and I'm hoping the SSJ God can have some different effects that would give the humans a chance. Think about it, if God energy is different than ki, then who's to say Krillin, Piccolo, Tien, or Yamcha can't access it?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kameburger said:
You got a source on that jack? I live in Japan and from what I saw, the reaction to the movie was overwhelmingly positive

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Kameburger said:
You got a source on that jack? I live in Japan and from what I saw, the reaction to the movie was overwhelmingly positive
Sorry Thomas, I actually don't have a source on that, but I live in Japan as well and my view of the reaction was that it wasn't overly positive. I even saw a few comments that suggested that Toriyama-sensei should Dougeiza to his fans, but I could be wrong or maybe reading one source that I can't seem to find at the moment, I didn't look much into. I love Dragonball but I didn't rush out to see this movie.

The 2ch response seems to be,
結構面白かったけどな。。。
別に、わ~!!めっちゃおもろいやんって言うってる訳ねし。

At least that was from my view, didn't seem overwhelmingly positive. But I couldn't argue that one way or the other. Sorry for phrasing something more circumstantial as if it were fact. Won't happen again.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor that the sequel will focus on Vegeta. That's what I've heard, at least.

Anyway, I'm planning to go see the English Dub of Battle of the Gods. I've already seen it subbed, but want to support it so that maybe we'll see more, like this.

Also, more action would be nice. Battle of the Gods was pretty heavy on the comedy and really felt like Old School Dragon Ball. Though, I still enjoyed it. And it even made GT noncanon so it's all good.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
superguin200 said:
GT, forgettable?
????
It's the series that most people would like to forget, but sadly, it was so shitty that it's hard to forget about it :(

Ontopic;
Yay for another Dragonball Z movie! Must be my nostalgia goggles talking here, but I'm always in for more Dragonball Z :D

superguin200

Mar 13, 2012
bluegate said:
superguin200 said:
GT, forgettable?
????
It's the series that most people would like to forget, but sadly, it was so shitty that it's hard to forget about it :(

Ontopic;
Yay for another Dragonball Z movie! Must be my nostalgia goggles talking here, but I'm always in for more Dragonball Z :D
Wow, I really liked it and I assumed the fandom reaction to it was positive; I guess I've just never heard anyone discussing it on the internet, and now I know the reason why.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kameburger said:
Shocking? How so?

It wasn't a very good movie, even for a Dragonball movie. I mean I've definately seen worse films but it was just bleh.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
superguin200 said:
GT, forgettable?
????
Don't worry mate, I fucking loved GT as well!

OT:I really need to see Battle of the Gods (or whatever it may be called here in Oz) as well as get the whole series on DVD. I can't get enough of this shit, it's just so fuckin' epic to the point in which I can't believe this still isn't a staple tv series like The Simpsons!

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
Oh thank God, I thought this was a sequel to that God-awful live-action film. I don't really care about this film either, but even so, what a relief...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Yeah great. The real news is that there will be a Team Four Star spoof of the new DBZ movie! Yay, Team Four Star spoof!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I have to ask WHY??? Make no mistake, I love Dragon Ball. I have a Shenron avatar FFS. I bought all those remastered Dragon Ball seasons when FUNimation brought them out. But I still have to ask why? I assumed there was a good reason why Akira Toriyama stopped wanting to so Dragon Ball all those years ago so I have to wonder why he's taking it up again now. Also as much as I love Dragon Ball I accepted the fact that Goku's story had ended and internalized that, but now that's being thrown out the window.