Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The first Dune book isn't all that complicated, it's basically just a hero's journey type story. After that it gets tricky, but I don't think anyone is trying to adapt the whole series.
Sci-fi(sorry, SYFY) channel tried to do the 2nd/3rd books but suffered from lack of budget, among other things.

I don't see anyone ever attempting God Emperor due to how talky it is.

I'm hoping this will be good but I'm prepared for it to bomb.

Also, the fact this is part 1 of the first book and part 2 is dependent on this movie doing well at the box office.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sci-fi(sorry, SYFY) channel tried to do the 2nd/3rd books but suffered from lack of budget, among other things.

Also, the fact this is part 1 of the first book and part 2 is dependent on this movie doing well at the box office.
I'm not sure you could do a big screen adaptation of Messiah either. There's just not a whole lot there. It's a lot of talking, then one explosion, then more talking, and then a 4 second fight sequence, roll credits. It serves as a great set-up for book 3, but it's very much a set-up and is ultimately unfulfilling. Interesting themes and some good character moments but there's a reason that the book was mostly considered disappointing until the rest of the series was done.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

If I were to attempt to make a movie or miniseries of the books beyond Children of Dune, I'd simply summarize God Emperor as its important historical events and move on to Heretics and Chapterhouse.

I'm not sure you could do a big screen adaptation of Messiah either. There's just not a whole lot there. It's a lot of talking, then one explosion, then more talking, and then a 4 second fight sequence, roll credits. It serves as a great set-up for book 3, but it's very much a set-up and is ultimately unfulfilling. Interesting themes and some good character moments but there's a reason that the book was mostly considered disappointing until the rest of the series was done.
Syfy's approach to Messiah was just to fold it into Children of Dune.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Yeah, i liked the Pink Floyd trailer better.

And yeah, the trailer is kinda "generic", though that seems deliberate - present an EPIC story with all the familiar beats that'll draw audiences in. And i hope it works. This being only "Part 1" makes me worried.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Movie seems like a bad medium for it.

But then again, people go to youtube for politics and philosophy, so maybe not.
God Emperor does suffer from being a lot of dialogue. It's a lot of political/philosophical text, setting up the dominoes that will fall over at the conclusion of the book. Which is fine in book form, as you can spend time with the inner dialogue of the characters, and really flesh out their motivations, rationale for their actions, etc. But in visual medium, that never translates well. The Lynch Dune film actually tried to do this, to include the inner monologuing for the characters, with the narration portions of the movie. And most people consider that aspect of the storytelling to be really bad. And while I love that film, I can't really disagree that it doesn't work that well, as narration over visual medium. Because often, if the inner dialogue is lengthy, you will have uncomfortably long scenes of the actor just....sitting there...doing basically nothing, while they think out their lines. So the workaround would be to shorten those lines...which kind of defeats the purpose of having the inner monologuing in the first place. To give the character time to explain (at least internally) their thought process about something.

I personally think SCIFI did the miniseries pretty well, as having more runtime to spread out the story, did give them more freedom to actually explore, and delve into the stuff going on. To build up the political tensions, and show the decay of the society right before everything goes weird. The tragic destruction of previously sympathetic characters, etc.

I think the right kind of writer and director COULD do God Emperor justice. Because it's hardly like low action, politically deep, and wordy movies are impossible to make. There are plenty of ways you could make it engaging, and tense, etc. But, it's certainly not the easiest way to film something, and it will definitely be less marketable overall.

I mean Shawshank Redemption is a movie that is basically nothing but people talking, while under the control of a tyrannical god king, who ultimately is brought low through the machinations of the subjects under him. And it's considered one of the greatest films of all time. But, while the basic structure is similar, the framing of it, and the context is vastly different. Plus it had a brilliant director, a great screenplay, and fantastic actors on every level.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I came around to it. I was inspired to read the first book thanks to the trailer from last year which I think was much stronger. It felt more like Dune to me than the more action oriented and blockbuster approach of trailer 2. I understand they have to market this movie to people who don't know the books so it makes sense to make a more relatable trailer. The CGI is giving me pause though. A few shots, including the end bit with Paul armored up, don't look that great. I am hoping that maybe gets a little cleaned up and they focus on practical effects where possible.

200 pages into Children of Dune at this point. Absolutely love the series so far and I think I'd label Dune as my favorite book now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I came around to it. I was inspired to read the first book thanks to the trailer from last year which I think was much stronger. It felt more like Dune to me than the more action oriented and blockbuster approach of trailer 2. I understand they have to market this movie to people who don't know the books so it makes sense to make a more relatable trailer. The CGI is giving me pause though. A few shots, including the end bit with Paul armored up, don't look that great. I am hoping that maybe gets a little cleaned up and they focus on practical effects where possible.

200 pages into Children of Dune at this point. Absolutely love the series so far and I think I'd label Dune as my favorite book now.
Yeah the actual suits of armor do seem out of place to me, considering the setting and how poorly technology works on Arrakis. I'm thinking those are perhaps scenes either from his past before getting to Arrakis, or before he is exiled to the sands? When they're still trying to do things the Caladan way.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah the actual suits of armor do seem out of place to me, considering the setting and how poorly technology works on Arrakis. I'm thinking those are perhaps scenes either from his past before getting to Arrakis, or before he is exiled to the sands? When they're still trying to do things the Caladan way.
Hmm interesting. I have trouble imaging that scene would take place so early. My thought was that it's either a bookend sequence teasing part 2 or one of Paul's visions. Perhaps he is seeing him and the the Fedaykin taking on the Sardaukar. Or it's him getting a glimpse of the coming jihad.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hmm interesting. I have trouble imaging that scene would take place so early. My thought was that it's either a bookend sequence teasing part 2 or one of Paul's visions. Perhaps he is seeing him and the the Fedaykin taking on the Sardaukar. Or it's him getting a glimpse of the coming jihad.
Perhaps. I actually just went back and watched it and...yeah it seems to be after he's already part of the Fremen which...feels odd yes. The armor looks too much like "imperial" stuff, not the Fremen's stillsuit style equipment. So I don't know what it's supposed to be. Given who they are fighting, I suspect that particular clip is when they assault those spice smugglers and he finds Gurney among the crew, and brings him back to his service But yeah, the armor does look strange. But ....*shrugs* We'll see I guess.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
For what it's worth, I actually like the armour.

I do get it in a sense - Paul's leading the Fremen at this point (I assume), and they aren't exactly the 'clad in full armour' type. On the other hand, Dune is arguably a mix of fantasy sensibilities (e.g. focus on melee combat, noble houses, an emperor, 'witches,' a 'chosen one,' etc.) grafted into a sci-fi setting. So in that sense, it works.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
For what it's worth, I actually like the armour.

I do get it in a sense - Paul's leading the Fremen at this point (I assume), and they aren't exactly the 'clad in full armour' type. On the other hand, Dune is arguably a mix of fantasy sensibilities (e.g. focus on melee combat, noble houses, an emperor, 'witches,' a 'chosen one,' etc.) grafted into a sci-fi setting. So in that sense, it works.
For me it's mostly aesthetic really? I think the look just...well just isn't what I ever imagine for the Fremen. It feels too mechanical for their desert Bedouin theme, and always made me think someone clunking around in that kind of armor, would just be food for Shai-Hulud. It feels more like Sardaukar armor to me.

Maybe it's kind of like nano armor from Tony Stark, in that it's components on a stillsuit that expand out when they need to go into full combat. *shrugs* I mean it's not a deal breaker for me, I'm fine with creative license for various details that are ultimately cosmetic. Though I still might not LIKE the choice made, it's not going to make me scream about them destroying the source material or anything :LOL:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
For me it's mostly aesthetic really? I think the look just...well just isn't what I ever imagine for the Fremen.
If we're talking aethetics, the hoods they're wearing don't make any sense to me. I always imagined the hoods of the stillsuits as sort of like the hoods in scub diving wetsuit. Something that seals and traps moisture. The hoods they're wearing in this movie are just cloth and would allow all of the sweat on your brow to evaporate. That's just bad water discipline.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If we're talking aethetics, the hoods they're wearing don't make any sense to me. I always imagined the hoods of the stillsuits as sort of like the hoods in scub diving wetsuit. Something that seals and traps moisture. The hoods they're wearing in this movie are just cloth and would allow all of the sweat on your brow to evaporate. That's just bad water discipline.
Yes, EVERY film adaptation has made that change, so you can see the face of the actors. Per the books, yeah it would be like a full face mask. But, then everyone would look the same, and sound muffled, so they make that change. Which I'm fine with.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yes, EVERY film adaptation has made that change, so you can see the face of the actors. Per the books, yeah it would be like a full face mask. But, then everyone would look the same, and sound muffled, so they make that change. Which I'm fine with.
In the books it wasn't a full face mask. It was a hood, sort of like a wetsuit hood, a tube in the nostrils and a mask over the nose and mouth, with the eyes exposed.

You can see people wearing the half face mask in the movie, and taking it off to speak so you can see their faces. I'm not sure that a more closely fitted less clothy hood would obscure their faces significantly more, you just wouldn't be able to see their hair.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
In the books it wasn't a full face mask. It was a hood, sort of like a wetsuit hood, a tube in the nostrils and a mask over the nose and mouth, with the eyes exposed.

You can see people wearing the half face mask in the movie, and taking it off to speak so you can see their faces. I'm not sure that a more closely fitted less clothy hood would obscure their faces significantly more, you just wouldn't be able to see their hair.
Yeah sorry, the facemask with hood is mostly what I meant about full face mask. And yes, you are correct about the hair stuff. It's purely a visual aesthetic thing, to make things prettier, and more dramatic for the audience. The scifi mini series actually had probably the most book accurate suits. the face covering, with a close, skullcap style head covering. I think they had an actual hood over that, as shade IIRC, but it's been a while. But, they pretty much never stayed in that for long. If it was a dialogue heavy scene, they'd take them off quickly. It's a detail I'm fine with overlooking, as frankly I would much rather see Zendaya with her pretty hair, flowing around her as she smiles at the camera, with glowing blue eyes, than always seeing her in a hood and mask, anytime they are outside of a sietch, and thus can't relax water disciplines.

I just want them to get the personalities and strength of the characters right, they can change the wardrobes to be more flowy and cinematic all they want as far I'm concerned.