New Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Educational Video Covers Intelligence

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Educational Video Covers Intelligence

Survival of the Smartest.

The fifth entry in the series of Vault-Tec educational videos, which explain the core attributes of the Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, has released. To date, we have learned about Strength, Perception, Endurance, and Charisma - but today, the focus is on Intelligence, aka "Survival of the Smartest."

Intelligence will enable you to "unlock new opportunities and adapt to your new world aboveground," the narrator teaches. "An empty mind is a vessel for knowledge, and intelligence is the key to unlocking opportunity and adapting to your new world above ground." The Intelligence trait impacts medicine, crafting, chemistry, and more.

Each attribute impacts how you survive when exiting the vault. Still to come in the video series are Agility and Luck.

Fallout 4 releases November 10 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Intelligence seems to be kept pretty consistent with everything else we've seen in the Fallout series. It doesn't suffer some of the strange skill combinations that some of the other S.P.E.C.I.A.L's we've seen have.

Here's hoping they have low-intelligence dialogue. I want to be a neanderthal if I have 1 intelligence.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Its kinda sad because this game is most likely to win GOTY even though I think Witcher 3 and MGSV deserves it more.

Fallout 4 just seems too....safe a winner of GOTY.

Jan 12, 2012
Wait, is your driving skill determined by intelligence? 2:11 says it will help you 'navigate with technological ease.' Might it be tied into your navigation abilities, maybe low int getting you lost?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
zombiejoe said:
Here's hoping they have low-intelligence dialogue. I want to be a neanderthal if I have 1 intelligence.
The speech options for Int 1 in New Vegas were hilarious, when they were available. Which wasn't often.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Wait, is your driving skill determined by intelligence? 2:11 says it will help you 'navigate with technological ease.' Might it be tied into your navigation abilities, maybe low int getting you lost?
That's V.A.N.S, you use it and it shows you where to go through V.A.T.S. Or something like that. It's supposed to be like the Clairvoyance spell from Skyrim. I don't think vehicles will be in Fallout 4.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I pissed myself laughing at this. Intelligence's video is my favorite so far out of the entire series.

Jan 12, 2012
WonkyWarmaiden said:
That's V.A.N.S, you use it and it shows you where to go through V.A.T.S. Or something like that. It's supposed to be like the Clairvoyance spell from Skyrim. I don't think vehicles will be in Fallout 4.
Hmm. I hadn't heard about that before. I guess they're adding in some Vault-Tec AR to pull that off in Fallout; here's hoping it's slightly less awful than Clairvoyance was.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It's the V.A.N.S. perk, which is basically Clairvoyance in Elder Scrolls but for Fallout. It shows the path to your closest quest target in V.A.T.S.

EDIT: Damn, I should look at most of a thread BEFORE I respond to somebody.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
008Zulu said:
zombiejoe said:
The speech options for Int 1 in New Vegas were hilarious, when they were available. Which wasn't often.
Which is why I don't mind if low Intelligence dialogue isn't there. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas low intelligence rarely had different dialogue, while with Fallout 1 and 2 low intelligence equaled a lot of content being locked off, and for all of them it just make the game substantially more difficult because of decreased skill points and thus it's extremely impractical to do. It was basically just there for something fun to do once you've already beaten the game a couple times and thus want something different. In short, low intelligence runs were just was a general hindrance to the game solely for the sake of a few chuckles here and there.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas low intelligence rarely had different dialogue
I did like the alternate dialogue for when you were arguing with your brain in Old World Blues.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
008Zulu said:
immortalfrieza said:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas low intelligence rarely had different dialogue
I did like the alternate dialogue for when you were arguing with your brain in Old World Blues.
Well yeah, but that was only one out of thousands of lines of PC dialog. It was funny of course but nowhere near worth what the player has to go through just to see it for themselves, especially considering that you probably could have watched the every one of the low intelligence dialogs on somewhere like Youtube within a week of release without having to deal with that frustration, or Bethesda and Obsidian could have just made the regular dialog something that's akin to it anyway and had the best of both worlds.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Its kinda sad because this game is most likely to win GOTY even though I think Witcher 3 and MGSV deserves it more.

Wait, you already played the game and have successfully evaluated it based on its actual and not imagined merits? That's amazing!

You think Witcher 3 and MGS5 are safer pics? Haha. They're all just as safe as the other. All hugely popular sequels in very popular series. However, I think this year we will see a lot broader spread of GTA titles across sites. I think several sites will still pic the other two.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
WonkyWarmaiden said:
Well, there will be vertabirds. Don't know if you can actually fly them, if they'll just be a rail shooter bit in the game, or if they'll be a more scenic way to fast travel.
MarsAtlas said:
Intelligence was everybody major stat most of the time because you could build up many skills that way. Seems this way the best its got going for it is weapon construction and stimpak usage. I wonder if they'll cordon off some of the improved weapons to only those with high enough intelligence. The Fallout franchise has never done that before and Bethesda hasn't either, but given that this is a new system I'm expecting it. Hopefully its just that those with higher intelligence need less materials to make the weapon.
From what I read of the Intelligence perks, the ones related to guns were about being able to do more damage, or getting access to higher level mods for weapons.

Don't know if that's the only way to get them.

Oh wait!
I just remembered that the magazines will give people perks for reading them, so if you don't have enough intelligence, maybe you just have to get the right magazines.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Lightknight said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Wait, you already played the game and have successfully evaluated it based on its actual and not imagined merits? That's amazing!

You think Witcher 3 and MGS5 are safer pics? Haha. They're all just as safe as the other. All hugely popular sequels in very popular series. However, I think this year we will see a lot broader spread of GTA titles across sites. I think several sites will still pic the other two.
Dude other the Main Plot and Side Stories the E3 presentation and what has been said about the game and the fact that their are other games similar to what Fallout 4 is going to be.

Yeah I can pretty much know what Fallout 4 is going to be gameplay wise.

And the fact that Bethesda fans are legion. I mean the success of Skyrim makes this game GOTY guarrented.

(And I truly think Fallout should be an isometric RPG because well I am not that content with Wasteland 2)