New Far Cry 5 trailer showcases the villain.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
...not sure if that's the villain, or just Neil Fallon from Clutch. Seriously, the resemblance is uncanny [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1pPE6l0Vo].

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
The last Far Cry I?ve played was 2, and if the gunplay is nuanced and solid with no checkpoint bs I may very well end up getting this.
Just get Far Cry 3 with Ziggy's Mod. Or, if the mandatory checkpoint system in the console versions of FC2 was the only thing that annoyed you, you can also just get the PC edition of FC2 which has a proper save-anywhere system.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ravinoff said:
...not sure if that's the villain, or just Neil Fallon from Clutch. Seriously, the resemblance is uncanny [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1pPE6l0Vo].
Ha, even some of the comments mentioned Far Cry 5.

Arnoxthe1 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
The last Far Cry I?ve played was 2, and if the gunplay is nuanced and solid with no checkpoint bs I may very well end up getting this.
Just get Far Cry 3 with Ziggy's Mod. Or, if the mandatory checkpoint system in the console versions of FC2 was the only thing that annoyed you, you can also just get the PC edition of FC2 which has a proper save-anywhere system.
I played PC, but the respawns were still annoying. I spent most of the time off-roading or running around their outskirts. What?s cool is the Gold Edition comes with FC3, although still cheaper to just get them separately if the seasons pass/perks don?t float one?s boat.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
ZombieProof said:
Right? I can't believe folks still attempt to reason with Brain Cell. If he doesn't completely ignore the reasoning itself, the most you could hope for is a response that has nothing to do with your contribution and is even more nonsensical than his original point hahaha.
I don't hold any particular love for B-Cell but I hate gang rapes. Back the hell up, boi.
Ooooh, I like when you talk rough. Do it again cutie :p

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Gethsemani said:
Obviously Far Cry 5 exaggerates a fair bit, but if the county Sheriff is on the religious militia's side, who are you going to turn to? The feds? Why would some rural Joe in Montana trust them all out of sudden? In real life, federal law enforcement couldn't evict a bunch of poorly led secessionists without a plan from federal buildings, what makes anyone think they'd do any better when the guys on the other side are motivated, trained and armed with military grade hardware? Imagine the nightmare of being the FBI director that ordered a raid on an entire county and the ensuing blood bath that resulted in dozens of deaths, hundreds of wounded and a martyred religious nut job who's final words are all over the internet.
I agree, as long as these right wing nutjobs keep quiet and their ambition reaches no further than ''don't take away our guns'' the federal government will look the other way. But a direct provocation that undermines state authority or violates federal law definitely will not. Just look at when the ATF raided the Branch Davidians compound during the Waco incident. And that was just a small militia of religious zealots. If an entire county becomes somehow taken over by a militia I imagine the white house declaring it a state of emergency and transfers authority from federal law enforcement to homeland security. Either way it becomes a mess, but when push comes to shove an insurrection will never be tolerated. I also wonder what the general support would be for such a militia as these secessionist movements have always been a fringe phenomena anyways and all the U.S. flag-waving and patriotism makes me doubt many citizens would want the country to fall apart.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
ZombieProof said:
Keep this up and Imma need a cold shower...
Well, you can try it but I don't think a dick like that could possibly get any smaller.

Apr 5, 2008
Ubiwank game, wouldn't pay full price for it. Wouldn't pay $20 for it. Maybe when it's $10 in 2 years time with all content. Unless it has the lootboxes, in which case I wouldn't take it for free.

It's just another The Ubisoft Game with multiple layers of DRM. Can't bring myself to care about that anymore.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
KingsGambit said:
Ubiwank game, wouldn't pay full price for it. Wouldn't pay $20 for it. Maybe when it's $10 in 2 years time with all content. Unless it has the lootboxes, in which case I wouldn't take it for free.

It's just another The Ubisoft Game with multiple layers of DRM. Can't bring myself to care about that anymore.
Game will release next month and so far no news of Lootboxes surfaced.....yet.

Did knowledge of Battlefront 2 having lootboxes surfaced before it released?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Smithnikov said:
You really, really have an optimistic view of rural law enforcement, don't you?

"When seconds count, the police are hours away!" is a saying around here for a reason.

Also, the police and military are under zero obligation, legally, to protect civilian lives. Warren vs. DC established that.
And if there's one thing that rural America really has going for it, it is that die-hard anti-federalism stance and the insistence of doing things your own way. The trope of Small Town Sheriff harassing the protagonist exists for a reason.

Obviously Far Cry 5 exaggerates a fair bit, but if the county Sheriff is on the religious militia's side, who are you going to turn to? The feds? Why would some rural Joe in Montana trust them all out of sudden? In real life, federal law enforcement couldn't evict a bunch of poorly led secessionists without a plan from federal buildings, what makes anyone think they'd do any better when the guys on the other side are motivated, trained and armed with military grade hardware? Imagine the nightmare of being the FBI director that ordered a raid on an entire county and the ensuing blood bath that resulted in dozens of deaths, hundreds of wounded and a martyred religious nut job who's final words are all over the internet.
Yeah, there's a reason Waco aftermath made the feds understandably gunshy. And one need look no further than the Bundy standoff for this happening recently. And the kind of assholes that FC 5 is using know this, abusing the system in order to get their way. I'm hoping this is like Wolfenstein: The New Colossus wherein it's fifteen hours of catharsis over knowing that a bunch of bigots and losers are getting their just desserts.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
This game is gonna be controversial with its subject matter I am certain.
For demonizing religious zealotry? I thought the Internet was in favor of that.
Only if it's Christian or Jewish. But hey, it's not like there's an actual religion causing mayhem and establishing fascistic governments wherever it exists. Oh wait, there is.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
LysanderNemoinis said:
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
This game is gonna be controversial with its subject matter I am certain.
For demonizing religious zealotry? I thought the Internet was in favor of that.
Only if it's Christian or Jewish. But hey, it's not like there's an actual religion causing mayhem and establishing fascistic governments wherever it exists. Oh wait, there is.
He says with absolutely no sense of irony

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Aiddon said:
Gethsemani said:
Smithnikov said:

"When seconds count, the police are hours away!" is a saying around here for a reason.

Also, the police and military are under zero obligation, legally, to protect civilian lives. Warren vs. DC established that.
And if there's one thing that rural America really has going for it, it is that die-hard anti-federalism stance and the insistence of doing things your own way. The trope of Small Town Sheriff harassing the protagonist exists for a reason.

Yeah, there's a reason Waco aftermath made the feds understandably gunshy. And one need look no further than the Bundy standoff for this happening recently. And the kind of assholes that FC 5 is using know this, abusing the system in order to get their way. I'm hoping this is like Wolfenstein: The New Colossus wherein it's fifteen hours of catharsis over knowing that a bunch of bigots and losers are getting their just desserts.
But with the Bundy standoff there were no hostages or a good enough reason to risk escalating the situation so if anything waiting it out was the right call. In Far Cry 5 there is already open conflict (hell there are dogfights with WWII era planes, IIRC) and people are already dying. Unless the main antagonist has some leverage on the State and/or Federal government I don't know why there wouldn't be a response with in the first week of this shit going down. I suppose one could argue the government isn't aware of what's going on, but that just raises it's own set of questions and issues.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I think perhaps too much stock is being put into the notion that this game is something more than pulpy entertainment, and not meant to be taken too seriously.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Smithnikov said:

Well, I don't live in the US, so maybe I do, but even then, the game's depicting what ammounts to an insurrection. Even if law enforcement is bunk, surely the armed forces have a stake in this?

hanselthecaretaker said:
I think perhaps too much stock is being put into the notion that this game is something more than pulpy entertainment, and not meant to be taken too seriously.
True, but it's still fun. :)

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
hanselthecaretaker said:
Eh, hard to really say before it comes out. The other recent Far Cry games kinda wobble back and forth from almost semi-serious to nearly Just Cause levels of goofy. Ignoring the weird side missions, 3 fucking knocked it out of the park, characters out of a Tarantino movie in Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, backed up by solid-as-fuck gameplay. I kinda wonder if that may have been a fluke though, because while 4 kept the gameplay, the story was a lot less impressive. The rebels are total assholes (look up the two possible endings), your character's only connection is a father we never see onscreen, and...okay, I honestly liked Pagan Min, but he wasn't enough to carry the game. Can't comment on Primal, as I've never played it, but that whole concept executed in a Far Cry game is just kinda strange to me.

I'm not super impressed just going by the trailer for 5, looks like it plays the same as the others (which is a plus), but off the one line or so per character, I can't really get a feel for where it's going. Cult dude's delivery and voice is lacking the intensity you need for a character like that, and the plot snippet just sounds kinda weak. If nothing else, it'll probably be a decent buy on sale to kill a weekend or two like 4 was.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Hawki said:
Well, I don't live in the US, so maybe I do, but even then, the game's depicting what ammounts to an insurrection. Even if law enforcement is bunk, surely the armed forces have a stake in this?
They and the federal government surely do. Now, I realize Far Cry 5 exaggerates, but a situation where a cult or similar organization takes over a rural area and starts acting out is not unheard of. If the county leadership and the Sheriff's office are on the side of the cult, who do you turn to for legal protection? Who will tell the federal authorities that the county is turning into some crazy pastors personal playground? One of the rural farmers who distrust the feds in all things?

Rural America has that physical remoteness and a prevailing attitude that outsiders should not be poking their nose in your business. If you don't even trust the feds to care for steppes of sagebrush, why would you trust them to come in and fix a volatile situation full of heavily armed people? If no one tells the feds that Hope County is verging on insurrection and the Sheriff and elected officials keeps feeding federal authorities lies about how everything is normal, how will the feds know?

The scenario in Far Cry 5 stretches disbelief, but no more really then Far Cry 3 or 4 did, it is just that as Westerners we aren't as invested in Micronesia or Nepal/Bhutan as we are the US.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Gethsemani said:
If no one tells the feds that Hope County is verging on insurrection and the Sheriff and elected officials keeps feeding federal authorities lies about how everything is normal, how will the feds know?
It's the 21st century. People were even able to smuggle footage out of Raqqa when islamic state took over and they were actively destroying satellite dishes and tracking whatever low-speed internet it had. They will know. If some individuals with cellphones and laptops can bring things to light certainly it wouldn't be a problem for the modern surveillance state.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
stroopwafel said:
It's the 21st century. People were even able to smuggle footage out of Raqqa when islamic state took over and they were actively destroying satellite dishes and tracking whatever low-speed internet it had. They will know. If some individuals with cellphones and laptops can bring things to light certainly it wouldn't be a problem for the modern surveillance state.
it's the 21st century here. But when the game is set, is not so certain. They have presented no 21st century technology in available footage so far. Also the story allegedly starts with your character being part of an arrest attempt on the leader that doesn't go to plan, with the locals being coerced or intimidated into silence. The anti-government sentiment from all locals is supposed to play a role in the creation of the setting