New Final Fantasy Launches on iOS Today

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Baresark said:
This feels like them doing just more re-releases. Is there not an original thought in the heads of anyone at Square Enix? Hopefully it'll be better than dimensions. At best it felt like they were just copying themselves using RPG Maker. The effort was completely uninspired.
Sure does pay to do your research first.. You *do* realize Dimensions was a Japanese-only mobile game long before it was turned into "Dimensions" on smartphones, right? They just.. Finally gave Western audiences that wanted it the chance to try it out.
Actually I had not. I instead listened to all the bullshit reviews comparing it to the 16 bit era of Final Fantasy games. My favorite was FF6 (FF3 at the time I played it) and I'm not a afraid to say this was in no way at all close to being as good a game.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Scrythe said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is available on iOS devices now for $3.99
Are you sure you didn't forget a "1" somewhere? I've never heard of Square Enix putting up a game on the App Store that was less than $10.
How witty of you. You're comparing typical iOS games to 40+ hour RPGs. Chaos Rings alone had a worthy price. Seems everyone neglected to note SE iOS games are all one app compatible with both iPhone AND iPad!

Baresark said:
Actually I had not. I instead listened to all the bullshit reviews comparing it to the 16 bit era of Final Fantasy games. My favorite was FF6 (FF3 at the time I played it) and I'm not a afraid to say this was in no way at all close to being as good a game.
Right. There's your first problem, treating reviews as gospel.
You're also comparing a Japanese mobile game to a main series title.. Huh.

As for ATB's overall cost for optional content... Did everyone forget Gears of War 3's "Pay an extra $60+ on day one for WEAPON SKINS"? But wait, that's a AAA shooter title made in "good ol' 'MURRICA!!"

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Scrythe said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is available on iOS devices now for $3.99
Are you sure you didn't forget a "1" somewhere? I've never heard of Square Enix putting up a game on the App Store that was less than $10.
How witty of you. You're comparing typical iOS games to 40+ hour RPGs. Chaos Rings alone had a worthy price. Seems everyone neglected to note SE iOS games are all one app compatible with both iPhone AND iPad!

Baresark said:
Right. There's your first problem, treating reviews as gospel.
You're also comparing a Japanese mobile game to a main series title.. Huh.

As for ATB's overall cost for optional content... Did everyone forget Gears of War 3's "Pay an extra $60+ on day one for WEAPON SKINS"? But wait, that's a AAA shooter title made in "good ol' 'MURRICA!!"
There's some hardcore fanboyism [http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eXgMFcBgG_g/SJZYox1RaRI/AAAAAAAACH8/uTtLhEw4kk0/s400/fanboy-1.jpg] going on in this thread all of a sudden.

In your quick decision to, for whatever reason, white knight in the name of all that is Square Enix, you forgot the small detail that these 40+ hour masterpieces are ports of games that came out decades ago. Every other port of that time period normally isn't found for more than $1.99 a piece. Usually.

But there's another detail you missed: these same exact ports can be found on the PSN for $9.99 or less. How can you justify a $14.99 price tag on a closed platform port? At least with the PSN version, I have the option of sticking it on my PSP whenever I remember that I have one of those. And before you point out that the iOS version of FF is based of the PSP release version: it's still a port. And in that case it's a port of a port.

This would be like bringing the PC version of Resident Evil 4 (which is a port of the PS2 version, which is a port of the GameCube version) onto the iPad and slapping a $40 price tag on it.

And Chaos Rings actually increased in price because Square decided to add voice acting into it (at the recommendation of fucking no one), which also tripled how much space it takes up on your Apple device. Are you seriously saying that was a good idea?

Seems everyone forgot that this is the same company that put a $20 demo of a rhythm game on the App Store.