New Fire Emblem Game Coming to 3DS

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SO MUCH HYPE! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I am excite, in case you couldn't tell :p

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
MarsAtlas said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
I've seen enough, how soon would you like my money Nintendo?

If it's remotely like any other game in the series, particularly Awakening and based on what little they've shown here, it is, I'm sure I'll enjoy it very much.
Do you remember Shadow Dragon?

Every game in the series except for Shadow Dragon and we'll be good. Can't believe that Ninty aactually released that dumbed down piece of garbage.
[sub][sub][sub]I liked Shadow Dragon...[/sub][/sub][/sub]
Shadow Dragon had a lot of blaring issues, I agree, however, it is a remake of the original game, and typically when that happens, the result is kind of vanilla. I enjoyed seeing a game released in the west that actually features Marth. Shadow Dragon also takes place in the same world as Awakening, so it was fun playing it, then seeing how the world evolved into what it is in Awakening.

I also liked seeing the characters that inspired the series' tropes. The "Jagen" (the pre-promoted paladin you always get at the beginning of the game that becomes lackluster by the end), the "Merric" (the very talented wind mage who is usually a good friend of the hero and is pretty awesome if only you put the work in). Cain and Abel, the first red cavalier and green cavalier.

Of course it would have been great if they had done more with it, but vanilla is vanilla and we're lucky we at least got completely redone graphics. All that being said, they did also remake Fire Emblem #2 (Mystery of the Emblem) which is a sequel to Fire Emblem #1 and it fixed pretty much all of the biggest issues people had with Shadow Dragon and even paved the way for Awakening, introducing your own custom unit as the player character... and Nintendo never bothered to localize it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Diablo2000 said:
I didn't find Shadow Dragon that easy... Or maybe it's just the fact there's so many goddamn characters that I got overwhelmed without knowing which ones were worth it or not. Also there was barely any plot, which was really what pushed me away from it. I wonder if the second DS game is better, but then again, Nintendo never bothered to release in englsh.
You can pretty much just completely bench the characters you don't like and stick with the ones you do, they all turn out halfway decent by the end and you can't really screw yourself in that aspect. Marth is leading an army, unlike say, Ike who is just leading a band of mercenaries. I think the sheer amount of characters was meant to try and convey that (although I do prefer the smaller, more personal, more developed group).

Also yeah, the second game was much better.

Trude

Nov 26, 2012
If this evolves into an exclusive for the new 3DS, I am going to punch someone.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Halyah said:
The first fire emblem released in the GBA had a custom character representing the player as well, but given how little we actually did as said character(no lines, no interaction beyond bare minimum) it wasn't that great. Though the one you mentioned did pick that back up which is why I'm still sad it was never localized and released here. Plus it meant I couldn't get my Fire Emblem fix...
I played that one and completely forgot there was a custom character...
But from what I remember it was mostly, choose a gender and give them a name, so I'm going to say it doesn't count, erase that character mostly from my brain and continue giving the spotlight to Lyn, Eliwood and Hector XD.

Constable Reggie

Aug 20, 2014
I really hope this new Fire Emblem has better written characters than Awakening did, which totally dropped the ball that the rest of the FE games held. Hopefully this means that everybody can't romance everybody, which I feel resulted in the terrible characterization.

Here's to hoping we get interesting, nuanced characters like we did in Fire Emblem and Sacred Stones, and not cliche anime stereotypes like from Awakening.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh heck yeah, looking forward to this.

(Is it gonna be another dating sim?)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It's as if the Direct was to say "You might have heard a lot of people trying to make us seem like we're on the verge of collapse. This is how we like to tell those idiots to go fuck themselves."

Great stuff, what with a new FE, release dates and windows for a bevy of titles, and some neat new stuff like Amiibo functionality with Code Name STEAM.

(name here)

Oct 8, 2010
hickwarrior said:
Oh and damsel in distress, lovely. At least, that's how I interpret one of the scenes in the trailer.
My bet is that's a Manakete or possibly a mage of some kind. Strange hair, glowing pendant, dragon imagery.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Constable Reggie said:
I really hope this new Fire Emblem has better written characters than Awakening did, which totally dropped the ball that the rest of the FE games held. Hopefully this means that everybody can't romance everybody, which I feel resulted in the terrible characterization.

Here's to hoping we get interesting, nuanced characters like we did in Fire Emblem and Sacred Stones, and not cliche anime stereotypes like from Awakening.
Jokes's on you then, the writer is best know as a manga and anime writer (doing such works as Kindaichi Case Files and the ever-hilarious GetBackers). So prepare for the Japanese aesthetic to be in full-force. And thank freaking Buddha for that.

Constable Reggie

Aug 20, 2014
Aiddon said:
Constable Reggie said:

Jokes's on you then, the writer is best know as a manga and anime writer (doing such works as Kindaichi Case Files and the ever-hilarious GetBackers). So prepare for the Japanese aesthetic to be in full-force. And thank freaking Buddha for that.
I'd like to think that them announcing a new writer of all positions is an acknowledgement that the writing of Awakening wasn't up to the standards set by the previous games.

And if Reddit analysis of the manga writer's past tendencies holds any sort of truth, he'll hopefully make for more interesting conversations than "We saw each other naked in a comedic fashion! Will you marry me?"

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Constable Reggie said:
I'd like to think that them announcing a new writer of all positions is an acknowledgement that the writing of Awakening wasn't up to the standards set by the previous games.

And if Reddit analysis of the manga writer's past tendencies holds any sort of truth, he'll hopefully make for more interesting conversations than "We saw each other naked in a comedic fashion! Will you marry me?"
Or, y'know, they did it for funsies. Plus he's ALSO one for the gags in manga. Seriously, Getbackers had fanservice cranked up like mad (equal opportunity at that). And are we REALLY trying to act like Awakening was NEW to that kind of writing? For crying out loud, Kieran and Rhys' support can best be described as an Idiot and Straight Man routine with increasingly goofy injuries. Oh, and let's not forget Lute in Sacred Stones' inability to talk in anything other than "research speak." Or Florina's crippling shyness over Hector that's so acute it takes her damn pegasus to drag him in front of her just so she can finally talk to the guy. Or Ephraim who was so thick-headed around Tana he chose to discuss his rivalry with her brother instead of the giant "Jump my friggin' bones, lunkhead" sign written in glowing neon over her head. The series was rife with it to begin with.

Constable Reggie

Aug 20, 2014
I suppose Awakening's method of support conversations, where several characters actually have the exact same lines in specific conversations depending on their parents, makes for better fleshed out characters. Quantity > Quality, after all.

Fire Emblem has had goofy or comedic conversations, it's not like it's a masterful series when it comes to characterization or anything. But the previous games have had fantastic conversations unmatched by anything Awakening could bring to the table, which I feel is because there were fewer, more tightly focused conversations. Wallace couldn't romance every single female character in Fe7, so you get something like the amazing Wallace/Lyn support chain, which adds a layer of depth and complexity to his initial somewhat loose and carefree shtick we see. Similar conversations include Jaffar/Nino, Jaffar/Matthew, Serra/Lucius, Lute/Knoll (which alone is better than all of Miriel's conversations combined), and so on.

I'm not denying that Fire Emblem has had its silly writing in the past; Kieran doesn't really have much of a character, for example, but the ratio has been so heavily skewed in Awakening. There are no doubt some very good bits in Awakening (some of Virion's conversations come to mind), but they're hidden under a trove of ridiculous conversations that add practically nothing to anyone's characterization. They're no doubt enjoyable for many people, which is fine, but Awakening's characters are very shallow compared to ones from previous games.

I'm not even gonna mention Awakening's story lol

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I've only ever played Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, so I'll probably be tackling Awakening before this. That said, I still don't wanna wait too long to play it!

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
erttheking said:
(Is it gonna be another dating sim?)
Unlikely considering that Fire Emblem games generally only carry over secondary mechanics to other games in the same universe, and this game clearly isn't happening in the same world as Awakening, and even if they were in the same world there could still be a change, given the huge changes between other fire emblems and their direct sequels (like dropping parent/child with Tharcia 776, the changes to bonus exp and supports in Radiant Dawn, and the addition of a main character who didn't suck ass to Blazing Sword).

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
Fappy said:
SO MUCH HYPE! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I am excite, in case you couldn't tell :p
I think your avatar says it all friend !