New game releases - Week of October 8, 2017

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
New game releases - Week of October 8, 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1424/1424724.jpgNot a lot of games are coming out this week so let's change it up a bit and get my opinion on them!

Shadow of War is the sequel to the adored Shadow of Mordor, a game that everyone's favorite Mod greatly enjoyed. I haven't played The Evil Within yet (though I did buy it, as I heard it was good, but not great so I wanted to give it a chance. Does that count?), but the sequel The Evil Within 2 comes out just in time for your Halloween month to give you a reason to sleep with the lights on.

[HEADING=2]October 10th[/HEADING]
Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

[HEADING=2]October 13th[/HEADING]
The Evil Within 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

So I am excited for both of these games, which means that you should be. Everyone wants to be more like me. While you might not have my sexy and fit body, luxurious hair, and strong yet loving touch, you can at least play the video games that I like.

That's pretty close, right?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
American Tanker said:
You egotistical bastard. No, I couldn't care less about either of these games; and the fact that you'd suggest that I'd want to be you just makes me want to be as much of an exact opposite to you as humanly possible.

Really though, Shadow of War looks ok, but it's tainted by loot boxes and how they tried to paywall a DLC character who was there to mourn a dev who died during development.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
vallorn said:
Really though, Shadow of War looks ok, but it's tainted by loot boxes and how they tried to paywall a DLC character who was there to mourn a dev who died during development.
Yeah, the Microtransactions/Loot Crate part has me slightly worried but I rarely buy games on release so I'll know well in advance if it will actually be a big deal or not. It would be a shame if such a cool series got hamstrung by an iffy publisher doing iffy publisher things :(

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
American Tanker said:
You egotistical bastard. No, I couldn't care less about either of these games; and the fact that you'd suggest that I'd want to be you just makes me want to be as much of an exact opposite to you as humanly possible.
Awwww, don't worry, I know how to cheer you up! A hug!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
American Tanker said:
@tippy2k2: And to the ignore list with ye.

Now get those pastel piles of crap out of here.
You should consider being more respectful of the effort people put in to get you unbanned.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
@Saelune: And people should stop spamming ponies down my fucking throat, but that's not happening, is it?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
At OP: Glad to see SOMEONE is trying to do more than just bump old content.

Never beat the original Evil Within, but maybe I'll try now.

I was hyped AF for the new SoM, until all the different pre-order crap and hints of being horse armored to death.
:(

It's time to...

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
American Tanker said:
And another on the pile...

How many are we up to now? 42 users ignored? Heh, worth it.
All I'm seeing is
American Tanker said:
Waaaah, joke go over head so I block! Waaah waah, persons post colorful things I don't like boo boo boo! Baby needs bottle, waaaah!
Seriously, just because you like to polish that ignore stick of yours like it's special doesn't mean you can also keep it up your bum as well.

Personally Shadow of War can wait til it is in the bargain bin for me. Between the loot boxes and the ending tied behind multiple massive siege battles that pretty much demand legendary Orcs for it, I ain't giving them any of my money.
Evil Within 2 though? Never played the first, but its on the list to try when I get around to it! Got a big backlog to go through beforehand though.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Evil Within 2 got me so excited! The first is a great (albeit flawed) game! Way too heavily criticized I thought, it's actually really fun! The story won't make sense for the first half of the game but it really is a great horror story and has fantastic potential. It's like Inception but instead of going into someone's dream you're going into some serial killer's twisted mind and have to survive all the nightmares he makes you experience.

If you don't have time to play through the 15-20 hour long campaign then watch this 100-minute critique that explains everything in the story and game.

https://youtu.be/vNLJvu0EB_Q

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I bought the silver edition of Shadow of War with a 25% off, so 60 instead of 80.
A bit much but some reviews are coming in and I'm hearing good things. I hear it's more of the same ideas but expanded on, exactly what a sequel should be doing. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I still haven't finished shadow of mordor

and I don't really do horror games

so I'm gonna skip out on both new releases on this incredibly busy week of new games

which is good

I'm trying to save for a new graphics card

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
drkchmst said:
Cyberdimension Neptunia 4 Goddesses Online
I had to Google that to make sure you weren't making games up just to mess with me :p

Surprising still that it slipped through. I check multiple sites and confirm any differences but that game wasn't on any of them.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The first Evil Within game bored and frustrated me in equal measure so I won't be buying the sequel.

And I was interested in Shadow of War until I learned about all the lootboxes, disrespectful actions regarding the tribute to a developer who died during the development of the game and the fact that the ending is gated off behind lootboxes or extreme grinding. This game can fuck right off, if I do buy it, it'll be for about ?10 second hand so Warner Bros never see a penny from me. If any game in the history of gaming deserves to flop, its this one simply due to the business decisions made by WB regarding this game.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole is out next week, my money will be going towards that.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Catfood220 said:
The first Evil Within game bored and frustrated me in equal measure so I won't be buying the sequel.
I bought Evil Within because I kept hearing mixed things; people who liked it though seemed to really like it. I figured a $10 gamble (or was it $15? Either way, what I paid for it and the DLC during one of Microsoft sales) was worth the roll of the dice cause God knows I've spent money on way dumber things...

I'll play it eventually!....probably!...

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
One day I hope to be as fabulous as you are!

I need to play both of the first games to these sequels.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
This week is pretty light, and the loot crate crap ruined my excitement for Mordor, so thats lame.

But next week is looking great. South Park and life is Strange is enough to get excited about.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Yeah, the Microtransactions/Loot Crate part has me slightly worried but I rarely buy games on release so I'll know well in advance if it will actually be a big deal or not. It would be a shame if such a cool series got hamstrung by an iffy publisher doing iffy publisher things :(
Having completely ignored any media coverage leading into the game and now having 20+ hours in it, it was at least 5 hours before I even noticed the Loot Crates existed. I mean, I'd seen the "market" button in the menu and figured it was something along those lines, but never bothered to click it and it never mattered.

Eventually it tells you about it, and after looking around and buying a bit (with the in game currency options only), it's just a pay to win in a single player game, completely irrelevant if you ignore it.