New GameFly Service Competes With Steam

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New GameFly Service Competes With Steam

Members now have access to games like Assassin's Creed and Earthworm Jim for free, while able to purchase recent AAA titles at a discount.

GameFly, perhaps most easily described as "the Netflix of videogames," has just launched a beta version of a new digital distribution service that will offer free downloads to members, as well as discounts on pay-titles. Some of 2011's largest games are already available via this new service, such as Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim all for 10% off.

Some people may find this system somewhat reminiscent of Direct2Drive, and those people should be given a cookie, because it is. GameFly acquired the company earlier this year and has rebranded and retooled it into the backbone of its new digital members service. With an active account, gamers will have access to some 200 current PC titles for free, with promises of a better, wider selection in the future. The company has also said that it plans to implement Mac gaming as well, but the software is currently unavailable at launch.

"We are thrilled to finally be able to open up the beta so anyone interested in videogames can start using the client, and we are hard at work expanding our catalog of PC titles for our users to play for free in the Unlimited PC Play section," said Sean Spector, GameFly co-founder. "Casual to hardcore gamers can enjoy titles like Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex or Saints Row 2, to Earthworm Jim, Jewel Quest, or World of Goo at no additional cost to their GameFly subscription."

If you aren't already a member, I'm not sure that this particular starting lineup is going to be enough to convince you to join, but if you've already signed up, just think of it as something free that you weren't getting yesterday. Whether or not you have an account, you can check out the full assortment of current offerings on Gamefly's downloads page. [http://www.gamefly.com/download-games/browse/?pf=1100&cat=UnlimitedPlay]

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/gamefly-launches-steam-competitor-with-free-games-for-members-20111220/]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Would it have hurt so much to make it a diffrent colour scheme than Steam? Not that Im complaining It just seems scarily similar. But still if they are giving some people free things they cant be bad!!!

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
Wow. Having just scrolled through all of the launch titles, I would have to say that those are some awful, awful games. There might be 10% real titles in the list especially if your window extends to decade-old games. Most are bargain bin fodder though, with many being flash-type games that are already free elsewhere, but you see periodically burned to a CD for retail. Also, it is lame to expand you game catalog by listing all episodic games as individual titles - especially when that means they then appears all over the list randomly.

Terrible. If you want Sam & Max that bad, buy it off Steam today. It's a whopping $12.49 complete.

This seems only beneficial to existing Gamefly customers (who hate games).

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Cool, I'll check it out. I have to wonder, though, are my D2D games going to show up on there?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Bout time they added a PC gaming service. it would be nice to try out PC games before buying them. If only Gamefly wasn't so ridiculously expensive.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
Bout time they added a PC gaming service. it would be nice to try out PC games before buying them. If only Gamefly wasn't so ridiculously expensive.
I always thought it was overpriced too but it's curbed me from buying enough crappy titles that it's turned out to be worth it...for me...I'm picky, I'll admit.
If they support it well, gamefly could be as good a value as netflix. It doesn't look like it will be able to compete with Steam but the competition will keep the prices low at least...we can hope.
I never got around to playing World of Goo or the original Asscree. I think I'll test it out with that.