New gaming laptop for battlefield 3. Help with choosen spec and postage please

DJKEENAN

Nov 27, 2009
Hey im on the very edge of ordering a Sager NP8170 from exotic pc and i was wondering if you guys could look over the spec below and tell me if you see anything wrong with it. Also has anyone had any experience ordering from exoticpc.com from anywhere outside of the US? I want an estimate of how much i will be paying for shipping for just the laptop rather than the sites rough estimate of anything bellow $220.

Price of my spec is £1001 (price under the assumption postage is £75)

The webpage of the laptop: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8170-clevo-p170hm-p-2971.html

thanks for all replys in advance

p.s. does anyone know what a wire transfer is?

Sager NP8170 / Clevo P170HM

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - S1R506)
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core? i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) (SKU - S2N224)
- - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- ATI Mobility Radeon? HD6990 2048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 $100 OFF (SKU - S3R151)
- No Video Adapter
- 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4 SODIMMS)
- Sager Branding
- Standard Finish
- 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (SKU - S5R207)
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
- LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs (SKU - X9R009)
- No Outside of US Shipping Coverage

DJKEENAN

Nov 27, 2009
I like laptops because they are mobile. Lugging a gaming pc a friends house is a nightmare.

I also know with desktops you are suppose to get more bang for your buck but price performance of the above laptop is very good and its an average price for a desktop that has the same performance.

Thanks for your input but i already have an average gaming pc.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Well, aside from the usual mobile cards aren't as good as their bulkier bigger brothers then I don't see an issue, but I don't have long term experience with gaming laptops.

According to the internet though, it should run Battlefield 3 fairly well. Not on "Holy shit what was that that looked fucking awesome" setting, but on the next one down. Don't know how reliable the source is for that though (below). Also consider investing in one of those fan plate things to rest the laptop on while gaming. Or at least make sure it's always got a decent amount of cooling going on. If you obstruct fans it WILL heat up like a bloody bonfire.

Source for stuff: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

DJKEENAN

Nov 27, 2009
Lol like a bonfire xD. Well im going to use special thermal paste thats suppose to cool down the gpu and cpu by 4-12C so that should help. I will be running it without a cooler but on a hard wooden surface so it should be fine. And thank you so much for the link thats an amazing benchmark tool :)

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
DJKEENAN said:
I like laptops because they are mobile. Lugging a gaming pc a friends house is a nightmare.

I also know with desktops you are suppose to get more bang for your buck but price performance of the above laptop is very good and its an average price for a desktop that has the same performance.

Thanks for your input but i already have an average gaming pc.
Save yourself the grief, don't get a gaming laptop.

Nobody can build one with good cooling, they just cook themselves to death.

The one I have that can max oblivion easily just overheats to a blue screen playing more than dos games these days so I have to settle for low-end graphics.

Seriously, it's not worth it. Even my many cooling fans and keeping the freaking window open in the winter cannot stop it from trying to commit suicide.

Build a desktop for half the dosh, bro, and suck it up about mobility. It's not like its hard to get a system of setting up and tearing down quickly built.

DJKEENAN

Nov 27, 2009
Ok lets just get a few things straight.

I have a rig. Its a huge metal beast called an Antec 900 that overheats all the time (probs cuz i built it xD).

Secondly the laptop im looking at is one of the best performance laptops as its from sager a leading brand in custom laptops. Airflow is great and im only running a single card (no cossfire or SLI) with the best thermal paste around. I know how to operate speedfan, atitool or rivatuner so i can get fan speed right, i am no gaming novice.

So can you guys please forget about overheating issues? If i keep the laptop clean and maintained (i have replaced just about every part in a laptop so i know my way around them) i seriously dont think i will have a problem with overheating.

Has anyone used exoticpc.com outside of US and can give me an idea of postage costs?

thanks again for the info guys :)

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Personally I'd go with a bigger HDD if possible, 500 GB won't last long.

And seriously, you guys still get overheating from laptops? I've used mine for gaming (it's an ASUS, bought nearly 2 years ago now) and nothing else and not once has it overheated. And yes, I'm pushing it to its limits.

DJKEENAN

Nov 27, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Personally I'd go with a bigger HDD if possible, 500 GB won't last long.

And seriously, you guys still get overheating from laptops? I've used mine for gaming (it's an ASUS, bought nearly 2 years ago now) and nothing else and not once has it overheated. And yes, I'm pushing it to its limits.
Finally someone who actually read my post! This overheating business i think is a problem of old and/or badly built laptops in hot enviroments so lets drop the overheating debate.

Thanks for the info dude but im only interested in buying the things i need and i dont really need a bigger hd as i only play about 5 games at any one time and have loads of external storage. I am thinking about getting a 80 gig ssd and then using the 500gb just as storage.

Any more great tips and advice then please keep them coming.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
It has been said, and will be said by more...

Save the money and buy / build a desktop. You'll get a hell of a lot more "bang for your buck".

DJKEENAN

Nov 27, 2009
Losing patience here. Starting to think im being trolled...

I HAVE a gaming PC.

I WANT a gaming laptop.

I just want someone who has experience with gaming laptops to tell me the specs great and to buy it. Then tell me that shipping a laptop across the Atlantic to the UK will cost less than £100 and what a wire transfer is.