New Gears 3 Horde Trailer Features Shooting, Maiming, and Ice-T

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Gears 3 Horde Trailer Features Shooting, Maiming, and Ice-T

There aren't many musical genres that are ideally suited to slaughtering endless waves of aliens, but rap metal might just be one of them.

When you hire Ice-T for a project, you really get your money's worth. Not only is the man voicing one of the characters in Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312298707&sr=8-1], he's also writing and performing songs for the game's promotional materials.

This new Gears of War trailer not only shows off the improvements made to the Horde mode for, it also features the song "Gears of War," written and performed by Ice-T's heavy metal band, Body Count. The song was first performed at this year's E3, and includes lyrics inspired by the game, including "My chainsaw's all you feel - either that or cold steel," and "Dark Wretches on my ass get played with an ink grenade."

As for the trailer itself, there's a lot of new gameplay footage and a better look at the updated mechanics, like building fortifications and upgrading turrets. There's also lots of blood, and dozens aliens getting acquainted with bullets, explosives, and the aforementioned chainsaws. Obviously, it's hard to gauge just from the trailer, but it looks like it could be a fun way to play with friends.

Gears of War 3 comes out for Xbox 360 on September 20th.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5826735/hear-body-counts-thrash-metal-love-song-to-gears-of-war-3]

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I think he would have been more suited to doing those sorts of things for bullet storm :)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Whoa, you can fight baby Corpsers? Can we also fight full grown ones? (as a boss)

Man I cant wait to get my hands on this game.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
smartass mode on:
the Locust are not aliens since they evolved on the same planet
smartass mode off:
yeah, more slaughter. Now please release a all gears game bundle on PC.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Metal.. Metal dang nations. You don't slay villains to rap, that's what you do when you wish to torture them to death.

Heavy Metal is what you kill things to. They need some epic Manowar or Sabaton playing over the large war sequences, not an art form that while important and successful, is too easily linked with certain subversive movements in popular culture.

I mean seriously, we don't need the Law and Order generation getting a similar view on combat and military life as they do on forensic tests and crime procedures, they might actually start believing that the only way to survive combat is to leave your head completely unarmored.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Looks vaguely interesting, I suppose.

On a tangentially related note, can we really call Body Count a heavy metal band? Because I'm frankly not sure just what they are any more. Obviously they're best known for Cop Killer, which was decidedly hardcore punk, and Ice T is of course the man who wrote the first ever gangsta rap, but has he, as a solo artist or as part of Body Count, ever really stuck to a single genre? I'unno, it just seems like a chore to try and define these guys as anything.

... Wow, the more I read over that paragraph the more it seems like I'm bitching at Logan over semantics. I'm not, by the way, I'm just dispensing opinions.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
teebeeohh said:
smartass mode on:
smartass mode off:
Ahem

[smartass]
Humans came to the planet, colonized it, and were then attacked by the Locusts. To humans, yes the Locust are aliens.

[/smartass]

OT: I only have a passing interest in the gears series, normally only playing horde mode with my friends, so this looks like a LOT of fun.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Cpu46 said:
teebeeohh said:
smartass mode on:
smartass mode off:
Ahem

[smartass]
Humans came to the planet, colonized it, and were then attacked by the Locusts. To humans, yes the Locust are aliens.

[/smartass]

OT: I only have a passing interest in the gears series, normally only playing horde mode with my friends, so this looks like a LOT of fun.
i have never run across the theory that Humans colonized the planet, where did you get that from?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
teebeeohh said:
i have never run across the theory that Humans colonized the planet, where did you get that from?
I don't recall ever hearing that myself (unless I missed something in Gears 1, which I've not even played) but as far as I can tell these humans have always lived on Sera. Perhaps they colonised the planet so long ago, it just wasn't worth mentioning them as being colonists in the games.

I've also never actually heard the characters refer to the Locust as aliens. "Inhuman, genocidal monsters" maybe, but not aliens.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
teebeeohh said:
Cpu46 said:
teebeeohh said:
smartass mode on:
smartass mode off:
Ahem

[smartass]

[/smartass]

Well they call the planet Sera instead of earth and the Gears wiki goes over it in detail.

http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Sera

Also I do beleive the Locust leaders mention how Sera is a replacement for earth over the course of the games. Not sure though, haven't played them in a while.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Cpu46 said:
teebeeohh said:
Cpu46 said:
teebeeohh said:
smartass mode on:
smartass mode off:
Ahem

[smartass]

[/smartass]

Well they call the planet Sera instead of earth and the Gears wiki goes over it in detail.

http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Sera

Also I do beleive the Locust leaders mention how Sera is a replacement for earth over the course of the games. Not sure though, haven't played them in a while.
and the humans in star wars also migrated from earth?
the thing is, if the humans colonized the planet it would have been mentioned unless it happened thousands of years ago. Then why is the level of technology basically ours with better oil?

it makes a lot more sense to have humans develop on a different planet completely separate from earth to invent your own geography, nations and stuff.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
"Like us on Facebook to unlock Griffin"

How's that going to work? Will a DLC code just be released to everyone on their like list when the game comes out?

Also, I've never really wanted to make a facebook and I don't want to just so I can unlock some heretofor unknown character, I'd really rather have him unlocked through gameplay please.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
teebeeohh said:
Cpu46 said:
teebeeohh said:
Cpu46 said:
teebeeohh said:
snip
snip
snip
and the humans in star wars also migrated from earth?
the thing is, if the humans colonized the planet it would have been mentioned unless it happened thousands of years ago. Then why is the level of technology basically ours with better oil?

it makes a lot more sense to have humans develop on a different planet completely separate from earth to invent your own geography, nations and stuff.
Well..... Ummmmmmmm, technically from our perspective the Locusts are Aliens? [sub][grasping at straws][/sub]
Cookie for thee!