New God of War Starring Aged Kratos Shown Off at Sony's E3 Presser

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New God of War Starring Aged Kratos Shown Off at Sony's E3 Presser

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329321.jpgThere's a new God of War game coming to PS4, and Sony showed off a first trailer at E3 today.

The newest title in the God of War series is unsurprisingly titled God of War. Although its existence has been rumored for some time, we got our first look at the gameplay tonight at Sony's E3 presser.

It features an older Kratos sporting a full beard and wielding an axe as he talks with his young son. He takes the boy hunting, and they wind up fighting a troll along the way. While the visuals are noticeably better than those in previous God of War titles, the mechanics look very familiar. The over-the-shoulder camera and the attack combos return, and Kratos is still a badass, even in his older years.

There's no mention of a release date, but it's definitely good to see that the God of War rumors were accurate. That said, most of the previous God of War games released in March, so it wouldn't be surprising if we saw it in stores next spring.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kratos is the bad guy, when the hell are you going to be playing as someone else to kill his ass?

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Worgen said:
Kratos is the bad guy, when the hell are you going to be playing as someone else to kill his ass?
Kratos was a bad guy, and in the first game he actually had a pretty reasonable character arc.

Then God of War 2 and 3 set about ruining any potential the series might had had left. Kratos became a cartoonish caricature. He had almost no rhyme or reason to anything he did in either sequel, and there was literally no reason to play other than to get to the next big setpiece.

Still not sure if this is a reboot or a sequel, but I'm all for bringing things back down a notch. If we forget the second and third games happened (or better yet, start from scratch) there's probably some cool things you could do. Definitely get more of a Naughty Dog vibe from this game than the older ones. Hopefully they go more down that route this time.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
This game looks awesome.
But I'm runnin' into the same "call it something else" problem I'm havin' with Prey, just remove the Kratos tattoo and call it something else and let me remember it as that game that's *like* God Of War; then again, once he gets to the god-killin' I'd probably call it a rip-off, I don't know what I want.

Anyway.

Game looks really cool, looks like they're really startin' from basics here and I like Kratos not being a complete dick anymore, the way he stops himself after his son first misses the deer, "ONLY FIRE-... only fire when I tell you to fire." He's a wee tad calmer, I like that. Oh he's still a bad dude but at least now he channels that into things that deserve it, that's pretty good by me.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I most likely am wrong, but I?m having this weird, strange feeling that Kratos will die and you?ll play the kid.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
Re-humanizing Kratos from MURDER MURDER SEX MURDER is probably a step in the right direction.

I wonder if it'll be open world-y, from the whole 'Discovered X' and 'Knowledge Gained; tracking' XP, I'd assume they're at least aiming to make it feel big.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
You kinda saw him being an actual human being in Chains of Olympus with his daughter, but that was resolved rather quickly.

The kid has lightning powers, so I'm a little curious to know who he sexed up for his kid to have said powers.

I have a lot of questions, but hopefully they will be answered when the game comes out. Pretty stoked about it. :D

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
It is the same Kratos as before, he still has Spartan Rage as an ability. Which makes me wonder what he got up to since dragging himself away at the end of GOW3. Must have decided crapping on the Greek Pantheon was boring and went north to deal with the Norse gods.

Also, that camera angle was pretty terrible for a fighting game.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
You kinda saw him being an actual human being in Chains of Olympus with his daughter, but that was resolved rather quickly.

The kid has lightning powers, so I'm a little curious to know who he sexed up for his kid to have said powers.

I have a lot of questions, but hopefully they will be answered when the game comes out. Pretty stoked about it. :D
He probably has those from Zeus.

I'm not so sure about the camera angle. This feels very muh like The Last Of Us and not really like God of War. But I'm stoked.

Just one question remains, will I need the PS4 Neo to get the full experience or won't it have PS4 Neo enhancements.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Kratos is the son of Zeus, so the kids power comes form his grandad unless of course he's one of many bastard childs of Zeus and Kratos merely adopted him so despite the father figure role maybe its technically a matter of him being a much younger brother. Interesting set up either way.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have never played God of War, but that... doesn't look like God of War. Looked more similar to Demon Souls than anything else, what with the poking OF bosses' testicles with sharp things. It's not a problem, just an observation from an outsider.

The story looks more interesting though. I can't wait to see what figures of Norse mythology we'll be eviscerating.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So... Kratos is a brunette, huh.

Looks good and Kratos seems to have some maturity to him. I wonder if all the combat is going to be this close-quarters, or if it's just the early tutorial and it'll zoom out and revert back to the old camera angle we're used to. I do like that you can seemingly brawl with your fists.

The combat looks way slower though, so here's hoping they can make it equally satisfying as the button mashing of the previous games.

The Last of Us' influence is also very apparent. The kid didn't seem annoying from this small tidbit of gaming though, so that's a good start.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Y'know what stood out for me? Kratos calling for his kid to stay calm, plan and think. Really shoulda taken that advice to heart yourself Kratos, might've saved you a lot of trouble.

Also, seems like some Skyrim leaked into God of War there.

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Y'know what stood out for me? Kratos calling for his kid to stay calm, plan and think. Really shoulda taken that advice to heart yourself Kratos, might've saved you a lot of trouble.

Thanks Cowabungaa. This needed to be said.

I've not played any god of war games before (wanted to but never got round to it, this trailer sets this next game up well so I'm definitely buying it when it comes out so I can play this one) but aren't they supposed to be set in ancient Greece? This seems to be set during the Viking age what with the trolls and the mention of Valhalla, the horn Kratos is wearing, runes and climate. It seems odd that Kratos would go from Ancient Greece, which I had to double check Wikipedia to find that it's a period of time covering the 8th to the 6th Centuries BC, to the viking age which was a time period covering the 8th to the 11th Centuries AD. That's quite a gap so do we think its a reboot in a new environment to help shake things up or is it a continuation of the previous games, I heard Kratos did literally become a god at one point so I could see him being immortal but this raises the question of why he does not appear to have any god-like powers. He's clearly strong but Is he holding back so that his son can get learn to kill trolls as well as animals? Also what's with the axes, they probably aren't items he'd have brought with him from Greece so is there some sort of story between his (presumed) dead partner? It looks magical, was she some sort of mystic or has Kratos had a run in with the Norse gods before now and would that be where he got the axe from?

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
johnnyLupine said:
Cowabungaa said:

Thanks Cowabungaa. This needed to be said.

I've not played any god of war games before (wanted to but never got round to it, this trailer sets this next game up well so I'm definitely buying it when it comes out so I can play this one) but aren't they supposed to be set in ancient Greece? This seems to be set during the Viking age what with the trolls and the mention of Valhalla, the horn Kratos is wearing, runes and climate. It seems odd that Kratos would go from Ancient Greece, which I had to double check Wikipedia to find that it's a period of time covering the 8th to the 6th Centuries BC, to the viking age which was a time period covering the 8th to the 11th Centuries AD. That's quite a gap so do we think its a reboot in a new environment to help shake things up or is it a continuation of the previous games, I heard Kratos did literally become a god at one point so I could see him being immortal but this raises the question of why he does not appear to have any god-like powers. He's clearly strong (but that's not out of the ordinary for mortal heroes to have this sort of power), Is he holding back so that his son can get learn to kill trolls as well as animals? Also what's with the axes, they probably aren't items he'd have brought with him from Greece so is there some sort of story between his (presumed) dead partner? It looks magical, was she some sort of mystic or has Kratos had a run in with the Norse gods before now and would that be where he got the axe from?

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Do you know what, never mind. It looks like the edit button is just not working. Have all of the posts, everyone.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Mestraal said:
Re-humanizing Kratos from MURDER MURDER SEX MURDER is probably a step in the right direction.

I wonder if it'll be open world-y, from the whole 'Discovered X' and 'Knowledge Gained; tracking' XP, I'd assume they're at least aiming to make it feel big.
It's not god of war without the sex part :(

...But than again is Norse/Germanic culture and mythology known for its "Sexuality?"

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I'm getting a bit of Jack Marston vibe from that kid... I guess that'd be as good a reason as any to go butcher Norse gods, but I hope he gets more out of it than Jack did.

Really wish they'd done more with the title than that. A simple '4' may not be glamorous, but it's much less confusing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I think that might've been intentional though. It's an older Kratos who's maybe trying to teach this kid based on his own mistakes. You can see somekind of rage meter filling up when the kid misses that first shot, showing Kratos losing his temper somewhat before regaining himself.