New God of War Starring Aged Kratos Shown Off at Sony's E3 Presser

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dead Metal said:
I believe this is his son, he even stops himself from calling him father and instead calls him "sir" knowing that Kratos prefers that.
...or he isn't actually his dad, which is why he stops himself from saying it. Knowing Kratos isn't his actual father. I mean, my own god daughter still calls me daddy sometimes, because I was around her as a little girl more than her biological father was. Which makes it very strange when her dad is around let me tell you. So I could easily see it being that the child thinks of him as his father, but knows that Kratos isn't, and has told him specifically "do not call me father, I am not your father" kind of thing. So he goes with sir.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Dead Metal said:
I believe this is his son, he even stops himself from calling him father and instead calls him "sir" knowing that Kratos prefers that.
...or he isn't actually his dad, which is why he stops himself from saying it. Knowing Kratos isn't his actual father. I mean, my own god daughter still calls me daddy sometimes, because I was around her as a little girl more than her biological father was. Which makes it very strange when her dad is around let me tell you. So I could easily see it being that the child thinks of him as his father, but knows that Kratos isn't, and has told him specifically "do not call me father, I am not your father" kind of thing. So he goes with sir.
He looks a lot like young Kratos and Deimos though.Plus you know, the authoritarian father bit.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Sooo, that, complete destruction of the world and Seppuku thing from 3... we just glossing over all that?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I like snow and I like skyrim, therefore God of War in skyrim greatly appeals to me.

Ukomba said:
Sooo, that, complete destruction of the world and Seppuku thing from 3... we just glossing over all that?
The world wasn't completely destroyed though, Kratos is like that kid from the never ending story, all he needed was hope to bring back the world :p GoW 3's ending left a lot of unresolved questions, but Athena made it clear there was still a world of mortals to be ruled over, hence why she wanted to be a new monotheistic goddess so bad.

Kratos surviving and apparently becoming the highlander is another thing however. Unless there's some symbolism i missed, kratos looked like he was dead for sure.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
The kid calls him father right before he finally shoots the deer (at 7:02 in the vid), so I'm pretty sure it is actually his son. I like what I saw, with the exception of the camera, but that may just be for the tutorial, who knows. I love the whole "throw the axe then call it back" thing, and that you can punch skeletors to death.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I found some more leaked gameplay, seems it has a Roman theme to it in later stages:

Seriously though, Ryse set in Skyrim with bearded Kratos.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Frankster said:
I like snow and I like skyrim, therefore God of War in skyrim greatly appeals to me.

Ukomba said:
The world wasn't completely destroyed though, Kratos is like that kid from the never ending story, all he needed was hope to bring back the world :p GoW 3's ending left a lot of unresolved questions, but Athena made it clear there was still a world of mortals to be ruled over, hence why she wanted to be a new monotheistic goddess so bad.

Kratos surviving and apparently becoming the highlander is another thing however. Unless there's some symbolism i missed, kratos looked like he was dead for sure.
hmmm

If you say so, but that's world looks pretty F***ed and that sword specifically is supposed to rip a god's power away and kill them. It's like Superman Stabbing himself in the heart with Kryptonite. The 'oh never mind, he got better' thing is really breaking my suspension of disbelief, same with the world. There better be an amazing reason for things to be this way (please not ANOTHER escaping the afterlife thing).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well I just did a quick wiki search, and Odin is the Norse God of War so....yeah, this is possibly the birth of the Norse pantheon, and we're looking at baby Thor. I'm curious how the other gods are going to become gods, if that's the case, since he's the All Father. Maybe he's going to imbue various badasses he meets with his leftover god powers? I mean, he's eaten gods/titans of just about every type, so in theory, sort of like Highlander, he has the quickening for all of the different types, and could dish them out to people.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Ukomba said:
Frankster said:

Ukomba said:

hmmm

If you say so, but that's world looks pretty F***ed and that sword specifically is supposed to rip a god's power away and kill them. It's like Superman Stabbing himself in the heart with Kryptonite. The 'oh never mind, he got better' thing is really breaking my suspension of disbelief, same with the world. There better be an amazing reason for things to be this way (please not ANOTHER escaping the afterlife thing).
Have you played the games? Kratos has died a couple of times and that blade killed him once before when it was at its most powerful. So yeah, there was never any question of him coming back.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
TheFinish said:
The kid calls him father right before he finally shoots the deer (at 7:02 in the vid), so I'm pretty sure it is actually his son. I like what I saw, with the exception of the camera, but that may just be for the tutorial, who knows. I love the whole "throw the axe then call it back" thing, and that you can punch skeletors to death.
IGN has an interview with the developer. It is his biological son. and
You control both Kratos and his son for the entire game

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Dead Metal said:
Ad he's not the most evil and irredeemable character, nore was he a complete and utter monster. The first game was literally about him trying to not become a total monster, the second was him having been driven completely mad. And the entire ending of GOW 3 was him finally learning to forgive himself for what he did. A complete monster does not get plagued by visions of its evil past to the point that its driven insane with guilt. And he gave each god a chance to back down and get out of his way.
If Kratos indeed forgave himself at the end of GOWIII, he sure has an odd way of showing it, ie. continuing on to finish the very thing he set out to do because he couldn't forgive himself. Nor does he seem to have any change of heart after killing Zeus: no sympathy for Athena or her cause, no expression of any kind of relief or redemption ("Look around you, Athena! The world stands in ruin. What good is your message?", "All I remember is what I have lost"), and offing himself at the end. Also, he killed Hera, who posed no threat to him. He killed Hephaestus who had only helped him up to that point, and who could have been easily subdued. He cut off Hermes' legs while he was literally begging him for mercy. He killed Peirithous, who was straight up giving him his bow. He cut off Gaia's hand, who also literally had done nothing but help him. He turned on the Titans, who also all allied themselves with him and helped him get to his revenge, on a dime just because they wouldn't let Kratos kill Zeus himself. No, Kratos is by the third game a complete asshole through and through.

Dead Metal said:
Have you played the games? Kratos has died a couple of times and that blade killed him once before when it was at its most powerful. So yeah, there was never any question of him coming back.
Remember though, that each time Kratos "died" ie. went to Hades, he had some backup: in the first game it was the gravedigger (was it ever properly explained who or what he was supposed to be), in the second the Titans brought him back, in Chains of Olympus he went to Hades on purpose so it's not exactly the same as dying, and in GOWIII he had the crappy writ... I mean the three judges who were one step short of just saying "we couldn't think of a proper way to write you out of Hades again so have some unclear mumbo-jumbo instead".

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
bartholen said:
Dead Metal said:
Ad he's not the most evil and irredeemable character, nore was he a complete and utter monster. The first game was literally about him trying to not become a total monster, the second was him having been driven completely mad. And the entire ending of GOW 3 was him finally learning to forgive himself for what he did. A complete monster does not get plagued by visions of its evil past to the point that its driven insane with guilt. And he gave each god a chance to back down and get out of his way.
If Kratos indeed forgave himself at the end of GOWIII, he sure has an odd way of showing it, ie. continuing on to finish the very thing he set out to do because he couldn't forgive himself. Nor does he seem to have any change of heart after killing Zeus: no sympathy for Athena or her cause, no expression of any kind of relief or redemption ("Look around you, Athena! The world stands in ruin. What good is your message?", "All I remember is what I have lost"), and offing himself at the end. Also, he killed Hera, who posed no threat to him. He killed Hephaestus who had only helped him up to that point, and who could have been easily subdued. He cut off Hermes' legs while he was literally begging him for mercy. He killed Peirithous, who was straight up giving him his bow. He cut off Gaia's hand, who also literally had done nothing but help him. He turned on the Titans, who also all allied themselves with him and helped him get to his revenge, on a dime just because they wouldn't let Kratos kill Zeus himself. No, Kratos is by the third game a complete asshole through and through.
Forgiving himself and relieving himself of his guilt was the entire point and reason for how he got out of the eternal darkness. Remember how he ran through it and all he had lost told him to fight on and that it wasn't his fault? Finishing what he started wasn't because he couldn't forgive himself, but to end what he set out to do. He wanted revenge, revenge for all the things that had been done to him. Forgiving himself was just what made him stronger.

Change of heart after Killing Zeus: Stabbing himself to release the Hope for humanity to use.
He spited Athena and all she wanted to do, because she intended to rule over mankind as a ?ber god. Her entire thing was using Kratos to get all the power for herself.
Hera was sacrificing people to trying to stop him, and she insulted Pandora, whom she knew he had already imprinted his own daughter onto.
Hephastus sent him out on the quest because the weapon he made for Kratos was supposed to help him take Kratos down. He essentially had Kratos assemble his own doom.
Hermes was an asshole and only started begging for mercy after he realised that his plan of killing Kratos wasn't working.
Peirithous, yes that was a total dick move.
Gaia had done nothing but help him? Dude, she was using him as a pawn to get what she wanted and then discarded him the first moment she could. She tossed him into Hades, telling him that he was nothing but a pawn to her.
He turned on the Titans because after freeing them, they turned on him, Gaia tossed him to his death, and the others attacked him on sight.

And him being a complete asshole in GOW3 is kinda the point, he was desperately holding onto what little humanity and sanity he had left in GOW1, but instead of keeping their end of the deal and absolving him of the visions, they made him an immortal god. A formerly mortal mind that was on its way out, was made immortal and subject to further madness. By GOW2 he had ceased to be human and become a god that was driven mad by the horrors of his mortal past and the mistrust by the other gods.

In the end Kratos forgives himself, regains hope, kills Zeus, frees humanity to shape its own destiny, prevents a malicious god from taking supreme power and goes to start over.

Dead Metal said:
Remember though, that each time Kratos "died" ie. went to Hades, he had some backup: in the first game it was the gravedigger (was it ever properly explained who or what he was supposed to be), in the second the Titans brought him back, in Chains of Olympus he went to Hades on purpose so it's not exactly the same as dying, and in GOWIII he had the crappy writ... I mean the three judges who were one step short of just saying "we couldn't think of a proper way to write you out of Hades again so have some unclear mumbo-jumbo instead".[/quote]
The Three Judges of the Underworld are an actual part of Greek Mythology.
Kratos had help the first time, the Grave Digger (who was Zeus in disguise, hinted at in the game itself, confirmed in the bonus material and finally officially confirmed in Ghost of Sparta), did help him by lowering the rope, but basically Kratos could have done it himself, he just wouldn't have come out the place he needed to.
Gaia did not help Kratos in GOW2, she essentially called him a pussy for accepting death, which made him so angry he raged himself out of it.
Chains of Olympus he did go to Hades, but Charon killed him and tossed him into Tartaros.
In Greek mythology the underworld is an actual place you can go to an leave if you prove yourself strong or cunning enough. There are loads of stories with heroes going into hades to return loved ones. They basically have to survive Hades or not be elected to go to Greek heaven or hell.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Dead Metal said:
Ukomba said:
Frankster said:

Ukomba said:

hmmm

*points at the (please not ANOTHER escaping the afterlife thing) statement above*

Ya, it killed him once before, and so it should have killed him this time too. I'm not surprised he's back, I just want to know how they're going to try to explain it. If death is truly a revolving door in this game it'll kill all dramatic tension. Played the 3 main games and I'm pretty sure all of them have a return from the underworld portion. Kind of surprising the gods stay dead with such poor retention.

If he hadn't shown in other circumstances he's less interested in saving/bringing back his family than killing everything I would wonder why he hasn't tried to bring his family back with him one of those times. I mean, he had a literal time machine at one point and used it to bring Titans forward instead of saving them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I never suspected Kratos of all people to be a father figure.
Well, remember, the entire game line started with him being a father. So it's not that out of character for him. xD

Caramel Frappe said:
I can see he's trying to be a 'good' father but being raised as a Spartan and having the most violent / bloodlust kind of personality really gets in the way of that.
I think this is sort of in reaction to the fans pointing out how by the time GW 3 came around, he was basically the antagonist, and nobody could really empathize with him. At least I hope they actually took a step back and thought that.

Caramel Frappe said:
HOWEVER kuddos to him for not raging at his son when said kid shot em in the shoulder by accident.
True, but he was still something of a dick to him at various points during that hunt in my opinion. xD

Caramel Frappe said:
You can tell he's matured now, wanting to teach his son survival skills. Hell, at a point he was going to place his hand on the kid's shoulder but instead went for the knife. He wants to be a human being but so much has happened, he has more development to go through. Rampaging, horrible human being that murdered gods due to betrayal, is not going to slide off your persona anytime soon. I can't wait to see Kratos fight Thor or a Norse God- or a dragon. Oh my god I never imagined Kratos fighting a dragon.
Yeah, I liked that bit too. I also liked how the one time he does actually touch his son with kindness....is to help him take a life. This trailer has a lot of good potential to it, I just really hope they actually do something with it.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Ukomba said:
Dead Metal said:
Ukomba said:
Frankster said:

Ukomba said:

hmmm

*points at the (please not ANOTHER escaping the afterlife thing) statement above*

Ya, it killed him once before, and so it should have killed him this time too. I'm not surprised he's back, I just want to know how they're going to try to explain it. If death is truly a revolving door in this game it'll kill all dramatic tension. Played the 3 main games and I'm pretty sure all of them have a return from the underworld portion. Kind of surprising the gods stay dead with such poor retention.
Again, Greeke Mythology allowed you to escape death by proving yourself. The fact that he escaped so many times is more a testament to how hard it is to actually kill him. It is in line with his status as being a half god. Every Half God had that moment of escaping Hades.
Yes it's a standard part of every GOW game, just like the huge opening boss battle as the tutorial.
Basically, normal people will stay dead, but half gods and heroes can come back. We don't need to see how he came back, we've seen him walk death off five times before now.
If he hadn't shown in other circumstances he's less interested in saving/bringing back his family than killing everything I would wonder why he hasn't tried to bring his family back with him one of those times. I mean, he had a literal time machine at one point and used it to bring Titans forward instead of saving them.
He can't bring them back, they're in Elysium, Greek Heaven. Bringing them back from there would mean dooming them to wander Hades as lost souls. It was a plot point in Chains of Olympus.
Yeah, he could have used the time machine to bring his family back, but he probably didn't even think of that in the heat of the moment. He had this single minded goal and likely only saw that.
Could be that it would have been a plot point in the original GOW3 plans, because what we got instead was just the opening tutorial extended to full game.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Dead Metal said:
Ukomba said:
Dead Metal said:
Ukomba said:
Frankster said:

Ukomba said:

hmmm

Again, Greeke Mythology allowed you to escape death by proving yourself. The fact that he escaped so many times is more a testament to how hard it is to actually kill him. It is in line with his status as being a half god. Every Half God had that moment of escaping Hades.
Yes it's a standard part of every GOW game, just like the huge opening boss battle as the tutorial.
Basically, normal people will stay dead, but half gods and heroes can come back. We don't need to see how he came back, we've seen him walk death off five times before now.
He can't bring them back, they're in Elysium, Greek Heaven. Bringing them back from there would mean dooming them to wander Hades as lost souls. It was a plot point in Chains of Olympus.
Yeah, he could have used the time machine to bring his family back, but he probably didn't even think of that in the heat of the moment. He had this single minded goal and likely only saw that.
Could be that it would have been a plot point in the original GOW3 plans, because what we got instead was just the opening tutorial extended to full game.
Ah, well that is one of the games I didn't play. Could it be that this game is taking place IN Elysium? It has an other worldly feel to it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Although it sucked to be that kid when Kratos snagged the bow away and started shouting- the dude realized he was being an absolute dick and lowered his voice while still trying to address his commands. This is how the scene plays:

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? NOW OUR DINNER IS GONE! ONLY FIRE-" Kid lowers his head, Kratos pausing before continuing his order. He inhales to calm himself down before addressing, "Only fire, when I tell you to fire."

The scene shows he is trying to steer away from his drunken past of rage, violence, hatred, and carnage of all things. He's still a dick, but he isn't a psychopathic character with no empathy in tact.
Yeah I saw the video :p I'm not just talking about that part, he did several passive aggressive things too to the kid, that kind of put him in the "still a dick" category in my book. Like how he tells the kid to basically "you make all the decisions on this hunt, don't ask me for guidance"....and then gets mad at him for not doing what he tells him to do at the last second. That's kind of a dick move. xD I agree he's trying to keep it in check, but he's clearly not Dad of the Year yet, or ever possibly.

Caramel Frappe said:
Despite that he was a father figure before, i'm surprised he is trying to be one now after the events of GoW 3 with the world turning to crap because of his actions.
You forget the healing power of the Magical Vagina trope. Have a raging man who kills at the drop of a hat? Give him some really hot woman who "soothes the savage beast", and you instantly have a "stable" guy again. Clearly she new how to work his gear to make him decide to not be Moody Angry Kratos anymore. xD

Caramel Frappe said:
I think the reason why Kratos is being hard on him isn't just because the guy's fighting his inner demons to try being a good person ... it's also because the world is very cruel. Without Kratos, that kid would be dead within the trailer.
True, but you could also easily argue "without Kratos, the kid wouldn't be in a cruel world...what with Kratos totally screwing it over by destroying the balance in GW 3"

Caramel Frappe said:
Everything is out to kill you, murder you, rob you of your life- Kratos wants to prepare the boy to survive like he did. Problem is, Kratos was raised as a Spartan and it was a very .... traumatic experience that no one should have to experience. That doesn't include what Kratos went with losing his family due to being tricked by the Gods, lied to, killed by them multiple times (only to come back) and the world trying to silence Kratos. So it's no surprise Kratos has that personality fighting to come out, but he wants to suppress it because he has someone he can protect and call 'family' now. This trailer really got me interested to see what will happen.
Yeah, the gods were something of a bunch of tools in the early games, but you know, being worried that the rabid dog who never listens to anything you say might turn around and kill you (and he does), is a fairly valid concern, and is a good reason to decide to put him down before he pees and shits all over the house, and also kills the whole family. xD

Caramel Frappe said:
I can't wait to see Kratos fight Thor or a Norse God- or a dragon. Oh my god I never imagined Kratos fighting a dragon.
Actually I don't think you are going to see this...because I think you are already seeing Thor...as the little red headed boy. And Kratos will end up becoming Odin. Odin is the Norse God of War, and he's known for having a big old grey beard, and a messed up eye. People have noticed that Kratos has a scar over one of his eyes in the trailer (I missed that bit, but I'll trust people who paid more attention than I did), the boy (notice he never calls him by name) is red headed (Thor is traditionally a red head in mythology), and the boy shoots the bow, and has a lightning effect to it...something Thor is kind of known for having an affinity for. xD

So, my theory, is that we are seeing the actual founding of the Norse pantheon, with Kratos re-imagining himself as Odin, the boy as Thor, and other people, whom I guess he will elevate to godhood with his powers, just like he was elevated. And he gathers them to fight "what is coming", which is something Odin is always very worried about, the upcoming Ragnarok.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Ukomba said:
Dead Metal said:
Ukomba said:
Dead Metal said:
Ukomba said:
Frankster said:

Ukomba said:

hmmm

Ah, well that is one of the games I didn't play. Could it be that this game is taking place IN Elysium? It has an other worldly feel to it.
No it can't.
In Chains of Olympus he's tricked by Hades's wife Persephone, she tells him that his daughter is already in Elysium and she can reunite him with her. In exchange for surrendering himself and his powers she absolves him of his sins so he might enter Elysium and wait there with his daughter until his wife is ready to enter, so that they can be reunited for eternity.
He's reunited with his daughter, but learns that Persephone's plan will destroy the entire world, including Elysium and his daughter. He realises that the only way to save his daughter's soul is to become the monster he was.
So he pushes her away, in one of the most heartbreaking scenes in any given game, and kills a few souls. Turning him back into the monster we know him as and forever shutting him out of Elysium.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Oh, great. Looks like Kratos gets to kill an entirely different pantheon of gods (guess the Greek ones weren't enough?).

Okay, now that that is out of the way...This trailer. It looks VERY nice (but what doesn't, these days?). It's clearly somewhere in Scandinavia, which means that one) the world didn't end after GoW3, and two) Kratos was either not welcome or decided to go somewhere else. It was interesting to see Kratos without his signature blades (you know they're going to add something that mimics them at some point); it was also fascinating to hear the gaming world's poster-child for unbridled and unchecked rage counseling patience and clearheadedness. That suggests that he might have matured in the (insert # of years between GoW3 and this here) years that we haven't seen him. Nice beard, too.

This can't bring back the purity of the first GoW game storyline, but from the look of the thing this might be a pretty good jumping off point for giving Kratos some new development and a second chance to be an interesting character.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Politrukk said:
what are they changing about prey?
Heh, well, everything.
No more Tommy or even the Sphere as far as I can tell, it's a "things went wrong on this space station" story rather than an alien abduction and breakout story, no spiritual stuff.

All we have is a trailer for the new Prey and I didn't watch the post-show to hear them talk about it so maybe I'm wrong on all counts but I'm pretty confident in saying that this will be Prey in name and feel only, I'd advise checking out the trailer to see it first hand.