New God of War "trailer" tonight

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, sort of.

Sunday?s Family Guy was supposed to be the animated comedy?s first episode in 15 years to air with limited commercial interruptions. Instead, the telecast will contain no ad breaks at all.

PlayStation will be the sole sponsor for Sunday?s extended episode of the Fox series. Before and after the episode, Fox will air a 60-second spot, called ?Arrow,? to promote God of War, the latest installment in PlayStation?s mythology-based franchise, which is set to debut April 20 exclusively on the platform.

More here. [http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/sundays-family-guy-will-air-uninterrupted-thanks-to-playstation-the-shows-sole-sponsor/]

Episode airs @ 9/8C

I haven't watched Family Guy in over a decade. Still probably won't, but will at least check out the beginning and end.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
Is this in response to that leaked gameplay footage?
It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I saw the leaked footage on Friday and after seeing the gameplay I'm impressed. I have already did the full pre-order, so now it's just a case of waiting at the come out. But only main problem is that I still wish they featured protagonist that wasn't Kratos.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CoCage said:
Casual Shinji said:
Is this in response to that leaked gameplay footage?
It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I saw the leaked footage on Friday and after seeing the gameplay I'm impressed. I have already did the full pre-order, so now it's just a case of waiting at the come out. Buy only main problem is that I still wish they featured protagonist that wasn't Kratos.
My only complaint is the enemy health bars. Apart from looking ugly as fuck, I feel it clashes with the more grounded look. If Santa Monica Studios is worth their salt you can turn that shit off in the Options.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I look forward to the gnashing of teeth about a previously action series becoming a slow paced third person shooter thing. Seriously, Kratos is the villain, why are not you playing someone else going to kill his genocidal ass?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Worgen said:
I look forward to the gnashing of teeth about a previously action series becoming a slow paced third person shooter thing. Seriously, Kratos is the villain, why are not you playing someone else going to kill his genocidal ass?
He became a villain in God of War 2 onwards.

God of War 1 emphasized that while he did evil things, he clearly suffers and regrets his actions and wants redemption.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

God of War 1 emphasized that while he did evil things, he clearly suffers and regrets his actions and wants redemption.
Exactly but even in gow1 he was still a monster who just randomly killed innocent people. Hes all pissed off about his dead wife and daughter, but there are at least hundreds of people who have the right to claim the same against him. There is no shortage of people/gods/misc who are totally justified in going after his head. If they wanted to even keep with the theme of the title, you could play a champion of Sekhmet who was an Egyptian god of war and go hunting for the bastard who broke the world.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Worgen said:
Seriously, Kratos is the villain, why are not you playing someone else going to kill his genocidal ass?
Probably because that would be really underwhelming. Kratos is an asshole and you may want him dead, but from a narrative perspective as a final Boss he'd just be disappointing. I'd rather they try and give Kratos some depth as a good guy, than have him be the same one-note character as a bad guy/final Boss.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Worgen said:
Seriously, Kratos is the villain, why are not you playing someone else going to kill his genocidal ass?
Probably because that would be really underwhelming. Kratos is an asshole and you may want him dead, but from a narrative perspective as a final Boss he'd just be disappointing. I'd rather they try and give Kratos some depth as a good guy, than have him be the same one-note character as a bad guy/final Boss.
Dude, the only way to make Kratos a good guy is to make the game be about him first opening an orphanage for all the children whos parents he killed then to rebuild the world piece by piece. Essentially they would have to made a make a totally different game then a third person action game, it would need to be a city builder at least. He does that then I might believe he is in anyway worthy of forgiveness. Without that he deserves death as much as any villain in almost any game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Worgen said:
Well his son is supposed to be a big part of the game, wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the game your playing as the son and have to kill Kratos.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Meiam said:
Casual Shinji said:
Well his son is supposed to be a big part of the game, wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the game your playing as the son and have to kill Kratos.
We'll see.

I don't know if this is Santa Monica's attempt to reinvigorate the franchise with Kratos as the lead, or if this game is going to be used to pass on the torch to Kratos' son, where at the end we'll get a time skip with the kid being a burly adult.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
In a nutshell [https://youtu.be/wxyEcgv34Rk?t=228], to me that sounds like more of an interesting challenge from a creative perspective than just throwing a new protagonist into an existing series, or if they started a whole new IP in this setting (because everyone would've still been thinking about God of War anyways). As a fan I'm more curious to see how they'll pull it off.

Anyways, it sounds like early impressions [https://www.tomsguide.com/us/god-of-war-review-roundup,news-26803.html] are universally praising everything from the new tone of the game to combat.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A recent article [https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/god-war-interview-creative-director-cory-barlog-reimagining/] with Cory Barlog gives some more insight into the new direction of the game. It also reveals how the collaborative nature of Sony's in-house studios helped to retain their original vision for it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

Exactly but even in gow1 he was still a monster who just randomly killed innocent people. Hes all pissed off about his dead wife and daughter, but there are at least hundreds of people who have the right to claim the same against him. There is no shortage of people/gods/misc who are totally justified in going after his head. If they wanted to even keep with the theme of the title, you could play a champion of Sekhmet who was an Egyptian god of war and go hunting for the bastard who broke the world.
I'm not really a fan of button mashers like GoW, but Kratos... he's a Spartan right. Soooo as someone who is just generally against eugenics and pedophilia, I'd have to say just being a Spartan is enough to make him a villain even before the events of the game.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
You know, call me crazy, I never completely fell into the camp of "Kratos is a terrible character and human being" Granted, I was actually familiar with Greek Myths and Epics at the time so I was able to Judge Kratos by that standard.

Now yes, by modern sensibilities of morality and standards, Kratos is indeed a terrible human being.

By the standards of Ancient Greek Heroes and Epics, particularly Spartans, on the other hand? ...Honestly, he's not that bad. In-fact, by Ancient Greek Standards Kratos would probably have mostly ended up praised (Outside of the whole Deicide aspect of-course, that probably wouldn't have gone over well depending on the era). Plus, compared to some of the heroes and what they did Kratos can actually claim the moral high ground on at-least a couple of things (Yes, I know how insane that sounds): All his sexual encounters were consensual, he never killed his father or slept with his mother, what family members he did kill were accidental or were due to circumstances beyond his control. Sure he was violent, loud, brash, arrogant and overly proud at times...but that's just par for the fucking course with Greek Heroes.

Again, outside of the Deicide thing, he's not really THAT bad by Greek standards compared to what some other Ancient Greek heroes did.

Plus half the reason he went all evil in God of War 2 is due to, well, that he wanted to die at the end of God of War 1 after the Gods didn't take away his memories like he wanted...and instead of taking his memories or letting him die, they instead gave him the seat as the God of War: I'm gonna be honest, what the hell did the gods think was gonna happen? That he'd just go out fishing for eternity and nothing bad would happen by giving someone like that the mantle of a WAR GOD?

Eh, I dunno, just kind of felt like prattling that all off as I've wanted to get that off my chest for a while.

In any case, you don't like Kratos that's on you and I ain't gonna fight you on it but I just wanted to offer a bit of a different view on him what with God of War series basically being the Greek Mythology equivalent Ragnarok.

Worgen said:
I look forward to the gnashing of teeth about a previously action series becoming a slow paced third person shooter thing.
I'm annoyed at it, but that's more due to the fact I just like Hack and Slash games and want more of them. But I can ultimately live with it.

...If they make the next Devil May Cry game play like this though, heads will fucking roll! (If you thought my reaction to the DmC reboot was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet).

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Worgen said:
Dude, the only way to make Kratos a good guy is to make the game be about him first opening an orphanage for all the children whos parents he killed then to rebuild the world piece by piece. Essentially they would have to made a make a totally different game then a third person action game, it would need to be a city builder at least. He does that then I might believe he is in anyway worthy of forgiveness. Without that he deserves death as much as any villain in almost any game.
Pretty much; If Sony had any guts they really should have just done the series as a succession of tales of revenge. Kratos gets revenge but cannot lose the guilt of what he did, then someone takes him on, and then someone takes that person on, and so on and so on. Instead, it just became self-parody, kinda like how the Death Wish and First Blood started as harrowing tales of broken men but then were played frustratingly straight.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Meiam said:
Casual Shinji said:
Worgen said:
Well his wife's son is supposed to be a big part of the game, wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the game your playing as the wife's son and have to kill Kratos.
FTFY.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Worgen said:
Well, let me not dissapoint you, then. Because when I think "Kratos" a slow plodding guy with a shield and axe on a over-the-shoulder camera is not exactly the first thing that jumps to my mind. Chained blades or bust.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

I'm not really a fan of button mashers like GoW, but Kratos... he's a Spartan right. Soooo as someone who is just generally against eugenics and pedophilia, I'd have to say just being a Spartan is enough to make him a villain even before the events of the game.
I?m not very educated on the subject, nor would I have time to wax historical if I was, but am at least intrigued by it. History in general does a great job of demonstrating its capacity for propagating half truths and misrepresentations though, as appears to be quite ironically the case here [http://spartareconsidered.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-myth-of-spartan-pederasty.html?m=1].

One does have to wonder how or why the most disciplined, structured and forward-thinking city-state in ancient times - particularly with regards to women and equal representation - would be put in the history books as the most degenerate of them all. Perhaps they were considered an easy target by their most contemptuous of contemporaries , which suggests that times really haven?t changed much considering what we experience in our society even today. What?s even more ironic is guess who all the other Greek territories wanted on their side when their necks were on the line.

Meh...on topic Kratos may as well have turned Greece to ash, at least from a fictional standpoint. Now, as far as the new game is concerned, chances are we?ll see a dimension of a Father-Son relationship that one would never expect from a former Spartan.