New GTA Will be the "Largest and Most Ambitious" Yet

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Grey Carter said:
There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q].
I found that the chorus of David Bowies "Starman" to be quite appropriate myself when it came to jetpacking around while shooting gangbangers with the good old dual uzis....*sigh* good times, good times.

OT: Meh, to be honest I was kinda disappointed with GTAIV, just didn't seem to hold my attention like San Andreas did.

Although if they bring back jetpacks and James Woods then I'll be a happy camper.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Jamash said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
also one thing I want to be included that didnt appear in IV was maybe little throwbacks to previous games, like in IV I really wanted to see the Mafia Don's mansion and how it changed over the years.
The Mafia Don's mansion was in GTA IV, is was derelict and had change a lot over the years: http://gta.wikia.com/Old_Mansion
Huh, i remember that location, but it looks nothing like the mansion from 3 o_O I suppose I should've noticed from its location but i never expected that was the place.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
HELL FUCKING YES!!!!!

GTA is a very awesome series, and to return to San Andreas, but taking it up at least two notches, is going to be mind blowing.

Now, I like both GTA and Saint's Row, what with GTA having great character driven stories and satire, and Saint's Row having awesome, wacky, batshit/batfuck insane fun, and now a coat of satire too. I'll enjoy driving around Los Santos, using a better good gun control scheme than the last time I did, having already indulged in epic fun for the last year in Steelport with the Saints. That's just it.

Now where's Just Cause III? Hello? Are you out there? Can you hear me? Are you still alive?...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Grey Carter said:
GTA IV technically took place in the same city as GTA 3, yet the environment was several times larger thanks to a current-gen redesign.
I believe it was confirmed by Rockstar that IV takes place in it's own universe so that Liberty City is not the same as the one from III in any way other than name.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
People expecting this to be San Andreas are probably going to be a tad disappointed. You want pseudo-serious, character driven crime dramas, you play GTA. You want to fly around on a jetpack flinging shit at people and hitting them with dildos, you play Saints Row.

Something for everyone, just the way it oughta be IMHO.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
So I guess there gonna be hot coffee that doesn't piss parents off this time around....

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Customization is a must. Oh, and the horse track betting location needs to be close to a safe house again. That was the fastest way to make millions of dollars in SA without cheating. :D

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
TheDooD said:
So I guess there gonna be hot coffee that doesn't piss parents off this time around....
It will involve a side-mission where you work part-time at the Starbucks equivalent in order to fund your latest crime spree.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Antitonic said:
TheDooD said:
It will involve a side-mission where you work part-time at the Starbucks equivalent in order to fund your latest crime spree.
Do I get to shoot people when they get mad that their latte was made wrong...

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
But will it be as fun as Saints Row 3 will be (assuming they don't blow it)?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The_Blue_Rider said:
Jamash said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
also one thing I want to be included that didnt appear in IV was maybe little throwbacks to previous games, like in IV I really wanted to see the Mafia Don's mansion and how it changed over the years.
The Mafia Don's mansion was in GTA IV, is was derelict and had change a lot over the years: http://gta.wikia.com/Old_Mansion
Huh, i remember that location, but it looks nothing like the mansion from 3 o_O I suppose I should've noticed from its location but i never expected that was the place.
I remembered it's rough location but I couldn't remember what it looked like in GTA III, however I recognised it (or what it represented) immediately when I found it in GTA IV.

It's like almost everything else in Liberty City, it had been redesigned in GTA IV but it still represented what it was in GTA III.

I suspect the same will be true of San Andres and GTA V, everything from San Andreas will be represented in GTA V, but it might not be in the same location or appear exactly how you remember it.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
This will be interesting to have a 1 island GTA game. Could this mean we get to explore entire world freely from start like the two dlc for GTA IV? That would be a big plus as it was always annoying to be stuck in one area unless you wanted to fight cops. What I'm really hoping to hear about is character customization beyond clothing, even if it is just as expansive as GTA San Andreas.

Though I would give up so much to get back the good old cheats that would cause total chaos. I remember using floating cars with flying cars in Andreas then grabbing a parachute and flying high up for a good 5-10 minutes before sky diving around map like superman. Just bringing back total chaotic fun of cheats would be amazing.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Why I liked San Andreas and feel the GTA series in spirit died there:

1. it still had the witty/gritty/zany comedy the series was known for.
2. The map was massive, and driving from city to city and seeing the changes made me feel I was almost in a different yet similar world.
3. The characters (except CJ) had depth and star power (not just name dropping star power but honest to goodness great voice actors/real world actors)
4. Side-quest/distractions. Being able to customize your car for the first time in a non-driving centric, non racing-centric game was awesome. Also being able to buy clothing was sweet.

In GTA 4 we lost the car customization, flying airplanes, attack choppers that were actually viable weapons platforms and didn't handle like a flying brick, a selection of decent clothing choices... and a world that was interesting. Liberty City had massive potential, and I liked the conceptual layout of the GTA3 version (where the hell was the damn DAM?). If they'd expanded on the original layout, adding more city blocks and keeping some color to it I would have been thrilled instead of highly disappointed especially when I went to the midnight launch... If I could have, I would have returned the game. Multiplayer was fun, but I didn't buy GTA for deathmatch.
So when I picked up Saints Row for the first time and experienced all the things I missed from GTA:SA in it, I felt my heart lift from despair. When SR2 came out and expanded on it adding the missing flight characteristics, my heart soared into the clouds. When SR3 was revealed in all its splendor, I immediately put down a pre-order despite being nearly broke.
When GTA V was announced I watched the video and wondered "how the hell are they going to screw up my favorite setting this time? Oh well, I have SR3 to enjoy soon so fuck it. I'll wait til its on clearance at Target..."
Also, GTA 4's illusion of "moral" choices also pissed me off. It didn't matter in the end if you tried to be a good guy or a bad guy, no one cared, nothing really changed all that much and no special things unlocked for either side.
I will Say R* redeemed themselves somewhat with RDR, making my Top 5 all time favorite games, but they'll be hard pressed IMO to duplicate what they did there (and I hope they don't because it was a whole different game).
And don't get me started on the dating sim, endless calls from "homies" who get mad because you might have just started a mission and can't go bowling with them... "NIKO!!! Lets get drunk cousin!!"

On a side note, anyone else notice the bum in the trailer holding the "Will work for food" sign is dressed in Niko Bellic's starting clothes?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe this time they will expand the game in different directions, in S.A you went south to San Fiero and west to Las Venturas. Maybe you will get to go north to whatever is north of L.A, Seattle maybe? Or further out east in to the ocean, Hawaii might be bit of a swim...

I know this for certain, I know C.J wont be none to pleased that a cartel boss (fingers crossed for a Vercetti return) has moved in to his home town.

silenticecream

Nov 3, 2011
It is Rockstar's job to hype their game to the moon and beyond. Of course it's going to be their most ambitious yet- propaganda need not make reference to fact. Perhaps instead of broadening the city's horizons they could change a driving system that makes Mass Effect's Mako feel like a go-kart, and their antiquated and tedious combat. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed GTA4 despite its many flaws, but I expect some evolution in the core mechanics, rather than making the thing simply bigger.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
It's likely that the other locations WILL return (Based on the fact it has planes and MT Chiliad) hopefully keeping a similiar style to the less serious GTA's . It was nice that San Andreas had gang culture, desert land, hickville and all the rest that made it pretty much one of the top 5 PS2 games.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Electric Alpaca said:
We'll see.

Now we know Rockstar's penchant for releasing damn good single player DLC - I'll be amazed if Fierro and Venturas aren't released later on.
This will probably happen.

I wish for more games. I need some sort of time-device