New GTA Will be the "Largest and Most Ambitious" Yet

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
New GTA Will be the "Largest and Most Ambitious" Yet

Rejoice, ye claustrophobics. Rockstar has confirmed that the Grand Theft Auto series is returning to the fictional state of San Andreas, and promises that the upcoming GTA V will be the "biggest and most ambitious" game in the franchise.

Specifically, the game is taking place in the city of Los Santos - the starting city from GTA: San Andreas - and its "surrounding hills, countryside and beaches." The press release from Rockstar makes no mention of San Fierro or Las Venturas, the other two cities present in San Andreas, and they don't appear to feature in the recent trailer. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113982-Trailer-Proves-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Set-in-Los-Santos] It seems GTA V has a narrower scope than its well-regarded PS2 predecessor, but this doesn't necessarily mean the game area will be smaller. GTA IV technically took place in the same city as GTA 3, yet the environment was several times larger thanks to a current-gen redesign.

Rockstar hasn't said anything about the game's central character yet, but it did confirm the online multiplayer elements first introduced in GTA IV are making a return. Hopefully Rockstar brings back the excellent character customization from San Andreas. There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q]. Bring that back, Rockstar, seriously. Oh, and a proper PC port would be nice.

No word on a release date or target platform for Grand Theft Auto V as of yet.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The PS2 San Andreas was pretty god damn huge if you decided to drive across it in a golf cart with a co-op friend.

Ahhh fun times...

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Good, because saying "Our game will be just as good if not worse than any previous games" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
You can't have a "biggest and most ambitious game yet" if you make it smaller than a previous game in the same setting, here's hoping they announce all three cities will be included

Grey Carter said:
There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q].
Anyone else disappointed that that link did not contain CJ looking like a small blimp strafing cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries?

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
We'll see.

Now we know Rockstar's penchant for releasing damn good single player DLC - I'll be amazed if Fierro and Venturas aren't released later on.

I hope the horses are still in this. Nothing beats starting the game, abusing autosave and becoming a billionaire, then watching cutscenes about CJ complaining how poor he is.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Good, because saying "Our game will be just as good if not worse than any previous games" doesn't have the same ring to it.
It would be quite refreshing though. You have no idea how I've longed to type. "Nah, It's a soulless cash in and you're a fucking idiot if you buy it" says bigshot CEO.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Tell them to boast again when they have a map as big as Daggerfalls.

Grey Carter said:
Oh, and a proper PC port would be nice.
We can hope Grey, we can hope.

I don't even mind if it's slightly half arsed but being able to play it smoothly would be a start.

Nothing worse than trying to take a corner on a push bike at a (less than) rapid speed and not being able to see whats coming until i'm firmly implanted into the road thanks to that speeding 4x4.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Furioso said:
You can't have a "biggest and most ambitious game yet" if you make it smaller than a previous game in the same setting, here's hoping they announce all three cities will be included
Yeah! I was so disappointed with GTA: IV, and so impressed with Saints Row 2, I might not even buy the next GTA unless it turns out to be another San Andreas. Three cities and plenty of countryside! THAT'S what we want!

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Well, duh they're going to say it's their most ambitious project, EVERY developer says that about EVERY game when they announce it. What else are they going to say? "Yeah it's gonna be pretty good, but it's not as ambitious as our older games", it's a business people.

Apr 28, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Hopefully Rockstar brings back the excellent character customization from San Andreas. There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q]. Bring that back, Rockstar, seriously. Oh, and a proper PC port would be nice.
Why? For all that, we have Saints Row now. GTA can go and be all serious and have a strong focus on narrative. Saints Row can go and be all hilariously insane and fun.

The best of both worlds!

Rawne1980 said:
Tell them to boast again when they have a map as big as Daggerfalls.
Shit, even half the size of Daggerfall would be good enough to boast. That game was fucking HUGE.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Grey Carter said:
There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q].
It looks like you're getting your Mr. Tasty [http://gta.wikia.com/Mr._Tasty] jingles mixed up and confusing the title of the Wagner song with that other famous classical piece used in GTA IV - Ride of the Bumblebee [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QV1RGMLUKE].

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Irridium said:
Grey Carter said:
Hopefully Rockstar brings back the excellent character customization from San Andreas. There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q]. Bring that back, Rockstar, seriously. Oh, and a proper PC port would be nice.
Why? For all that, we have Saints Row now. GTA can go and be all serious and have a strong focus on narrative. Saints Row can go and be all hilariously insane and fun.

The best of both worlds!
I really enjoyed GTA IV's more serious slant, but I did like the fact San Andreas let me play as a big fat ************. I can think of very few games with overweight protagonists.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder if there will be a PC port at all, considering Rockstar's other good game, Red Dead Redemption ?
Unless GTA V bombs, theres a high chance it will be a console only affair.
Rockstar havent been too kind to thier PC fanbase since consoles are more market friendly and easier to develop for... last GTA PC port was bad, and the fans crapped all over it.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Yes because forcing Rockstar to make another game on the scale of San Andreas with tech from this gen isnt unreasonable at all, unless you want a game that looks and plays like utter shit.
Me im happy with this, i really want to see what they'll do with Los Santos in this game, also one thing I want to be included that didnt appear in IV was maybe little throwbacks to previous games, like in IV I really wanted to see the Mafia Don's mansion and how it changed over the years.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
*Backflashes about the epic times in GTA:SA and running to my friends house with 6 other guys just to play it*

BRING THAT BACK ROCKSTAR!

Captcha: Help Keith

What's happened to Keith?!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I just hope they can overcome the biggest problem I have with all Rockstar games I've played and that's lack of direction. Yahtzee once said that for a sandbox game to work you need a deeply varied world that calls for exploration and/or some kind of clear ultimate goal hovering over head; I say you need both. Okay I'll grant you that the only Rockstar games I've played are GTA III, GTA: Vice City, and Red Dead Redemption, but in all 3 I had the same problem, I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to be doing. In GTA III I didn't even know who my character was or what the hell he was doing in Liberty City. In Vice City I at least knew who my character was and why he was there, but I still didn't have any real clue as to what I was supposed to be doing. In Red Dead Redemption again at least I know who my character is and why he's there, but there was no way to distinguish the story missions from the side quests so I had no way of knowing how to advance to plot. Since I didn't really feel like doing chores for Bonnie I kinda steered clear of that only to discover once I gave in and did them that that was how I advanced the plot! Oh thanks game, some sort of indication would've been nice.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The_Blue_Rider said:
also one thing I want to be included that didnt appear in IV was maybe little throwbacks to previous games, like in IV I really wanted to see the Mafia Don's mansion and how it changed over the years.
The Mafia Don's mansion was in GTA IV, is was derelict and had change a lot over the years: http://gta.wikia.com/Old_Mansion

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I'm quite excited for this, I'll be surprised if it isn't an ageing Vercetti in this one given the monologue. I hope the PC version will be better optimized than the previous game was, but then again if the III, VC, SA trilogy was anything to go by the more time they have to polish their material the better things get.

Provided the PC port is functional on release I will probably buy it there to support Rockstar - I loved GTA IV and this instalment looks like it'll be even better. :D

- Though if it turns out to be another Stronghold 3 then I'll probably be mopey for a while. :c