New Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Coming Soon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Coming Soon

Grab your towels, kids, because Hothead Games is about to take us on a whole new hitchhiking trip across the galaxy!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [http://www.amazon.com/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-Dont-Panic/dp/B0026XRL3S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1306334799&sr=1-2] is one of the most famous and most beloved adventure games in the history of, well, the galaxy, but it's been 27 years since Infocom brought Douglas Adams' most famous work to computer screens. An entire generation has been born and raised without knowing the pleasure of trying to get that damned babelfish, in other worlds, and boy, that's just not right.

Don't panic! Hothead Games, the studio that brought you Penny Arcade Adventures, Swarm and Deathspank, is working with Megadodo Publications to bring a new edition of the famous Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to all the planets in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the galaxy, including ours. "We're super excited to be involved with such a legendary creation as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," said Hothead's Joel DeYoung. "All the hoopiest froods here at Hothead jumped on the chance to work on the project."

Deets are pretty thin at this point but an early look at an entirely non-functional preview edition of the Guide can be had at thenewhitchhikersguide.com [http://www.thenewhitchhikersguide.com/], where you can also sign up for the mailing list or throw it some love on Facebook. Alternatively, you can just get stupidly excited right here, because holy crap! New Hitchhiker's Guide! Microscopic space fleet! Peril-sensitive sunglasses! Foonting turlingdromes! Suddenly the universe seems to be a bit of a happier place.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I don't get how there's a game in there, I mean nothing really happens in the book.

I mean the only thing that comes to mind is a point & click detective game.

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
I'm torn between my fanboy-ish delight at having a game set in what's easily the most gratifying take on science fiction humour ever and my deep-seated suspicion at an industry that has been systematically axing my childhood memories and charging me for the mangled remains.

[sub]Let's call it... cautious optimism.[/sub]

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
I wish we had the technology to create a a proper space sim where you could go down to every planet and they would have their own quests and visual design. That would be a Hitchiker game I would love to play. As much as I love Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy I doubt that this will live up to any expectations.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I didn't even know there was a previous game based on one of my favorite books. btw a cookie to the first person to tell me the meaning of life and question of life

ozmasis

Aug 9, 2010
This could work, probably won't but it could. All I really want is to play as Zaphod, but only has the right head, and as long as we can avoid the color green.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I don't suppose they could do another Starship Titanic?

Loved that, very annoying, game.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Well, despite the apprehensive statements thus far, I fully intend to purchase and enjoy this game. Provided they can keep the interface from interfering with the game play, and they can keep douglas adam's humor involved I will at worst like it.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
BoredDragon said:
I didn't even know there was a previous game based on one of my favorite books. btw a cookie to the first person to tell me the meaning of life and question of life
I'm assuming you were wanting the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? In that case 42 but the question (atleast from Arthur's perspective) was what do you get when you multiply 6 by 9

But overall a very Froopy announcement