New Indiana Jones game annouced!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Well, this is a surprise. Being a 90s kid, I was probably one of the last generation of kids to grow up watching the IJ movies. My dad was really into archeology and ancient civilization. so he always rented these types of movies ad the VHS store. Indiana Jones, The mummy, etc. I have a great memory of watching these movies, and they are what got me into adventure games.

While I am excited, there's a part of me that's worried. First off, this is published by Bethesda, and we all know how they have been screwing over the consumers for the last few years. Second, it is being developed by Machine Games, the guys who did the Wolfenstein reboot. We have no idea what kind of game this will be, but I wonder how they'll design the game to be other than a FPS?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'll be honest. I was never the biggest Indiana Jones fan. I respect Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade. But it never like entranced me or captured my imagination.

But I'm curious to see how this game turns out none the less. Especially with Bethesda being a Microsoft owned company now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Well, this is a surprise. Being a 90s kid, I was probably one of the last generation of kids to grow up watching the IJ movies. My dad was really into archeology and ancient civilization. so he always rented these types of movies ad the VHS store. Indiana Jones, The mummy, etc. I have a great memory of watching these movies, and they are what got me into adventure games.

While I am excited, there's a part of me that's worried. First off, this is published by Bethesda, and we all know how they have been screwing over the consumers for the last few years. Second, it is being developed by Machine Games, the guys who did the Wolfenstein reboot. We have no idea what kind of game this will be, but I wonder how they'll design the game to be other than a FPS?
Probably some kind of Uncharted style game maybe? So you can whip around and shoot and whatnot. *shrugs* As much as I love the Indy films, I don't really have any nostalgia invested in the franchise. So I personally don't really care too much one way or the other. I mean I hope it's a good game, just because I don't like people making bad ones, but, it's not something I really am hyped/unhyped about.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
New Indiana Jones game, and... no details. Indiana Jones games have had good entries in some different genres, but I doubt it will be an Adventure game like the classic ones that made Lucasart popular.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Probably some kind of Uncharted style game maybe? So you can whip around and shoot and whatnot. *shrugs*
Blatantly ripping off Uncharted, the hack frauds!
I was about to post this exact same sentiment. Uncharted basically IS Indiana Jones, so making this new IJ game similar is basically a no-brainer. The challenge will be to make it different enough (and obviously high-quality enough) that it doesn't come off as yet another iconic IP simply draped over the framework of a popular game for a quick cash grab.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well I mean to be fair, there was ZERO actual gameplay footage in there. So our Uncharted theory is pure speculation.
I think he was being flippant insofar as the premises are basically identical, i.e.: swaggering, ruggedly handsome relic hunter swaggering and hunting relics, the joke being Indiana Jones came first.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think he was being flippant insofar as the premises are basically identical, i.e.: swaggering, ruggedly handsome relic hunter swaggering and hunting relics, the joke being Indiana Jones came first.
Not to mention that there have been many others from serial pulp adventures from the 30s and 40s. Indiana Jones was a throwback to those type of shows Steven Spielberg and George Lucas used to watch as kids.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not to mention that there have been many others from serial pulp adventures from the 30s and 40s. Indiana Jones was a throwback to those type of shows Steven Spielberg and George Lucas used to watch as kids.
Much of entertainment is inspired in one way or another; I'm sure there was no shortage of "Indiana Jones Wannabe" cynicism when Uncharted hit the market, just so happens it ended up being a well-produced, quality game/franchise.

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
MAchiengames has floundered pretty hard on its last two outings, shifting them well away from even-odds. Shove Todd Howard in there and its even worse. Slap on Disney probably micromanaging nonsense with it, and the general track record of licensed games and this has a lot of anchors to somehow cut.

And thats before the fact, as others have noted, myriad games have off and taken Indy's thunder for lack of a good Indy game in the intervening decades to begin with.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I really enjoyed playing The Infernal Machine back in the day. Was cool to actually be able to use the strange relics Indy was searching for rather than them just being a macguffin.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well, this is a thing I guess. Let's see some gameplay before we get all crazy. Because we already have Uncharted games that are the closest thing to Indiana Jones without being IJ. This coming from Bethesda with Tom Howard at the Producer helm is really really scary.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
But DOOM. Has a chance me thinks, but it boils down to how good Machine Games’ design plan is.
I mean if its some Red Dead Redemption 2 level of pretty and character design and open-world, with a really good looking Indiana, and he's punching Nazis and making one-liners, then I suppose it could be passible.
Problem is Bethesda, aforementioned DOOM, and Machine Games, Wolfenstein(Nazis to be fair) are over the top first person cartoony shooters with larger than life characters, and despite how action star Indiana is, those movies have very important slow scenes of archeology, and research and understanding different cultures, lore and myth. And when I think slow careful research, I don't think Doom Marine or BJ.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But DOOM. Has a chance me thinks, but it boils down to how good Machine Games’ design plan is.

Also, MS exclusive??
Well Doom wasn't developed by Bethesda game studios.
However neither is this game. BUT! It is being produced by Todd Howard and that might be the big problem. Is Todd a problem? Who knows for sure, but if this game turns out to be muddy ass then I think we can definitely say that "yes he is."

Personally, I wouldn't be too excited until we know more.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean if its some Red Dead Redemption 2 level of pretty and character design and open-world, with a really good looking Indiana, and he's punching Nazis and making one-liners, then I suppose it could be passible.
That’s a HUGE “if.” Aside from Batman (Arkham games) and Star Wars (I dunno, enough AAA games to keep people interested-if-disappointed,) both franchises that’ve arguably been consistently relevant in every form of media they’ve existed in throughout their entire existence, what aging IP has ever been picked up and given a treatment and attention to detail to the level of RDR2? I’m genuinely asking, not suggesting such a thing doesn’t exist or daring to be proven wrong.

Problem is Bethesda, aforementioned DOOM, and Machine Games, Wolfenstein(Nazis to be fair) are over the top first person cartoony shooters with larger than life characters, and despite how action star Indiana is, those movies have very important slow scenes of archeology, and research and understanding different cultures, lore and myth. And when I think slow careful research, I don't think Doom Marine or BJ.
Funnily enough, given the absurdity and levity of a lot of the films, Indian Jones might actually be ripe for a non-gritty, “to hell with realism” take that invites a “cartoony” take. Yes, they have their moments of austerity, but most of the IJ films are mostly Jones in patently absurd situations whilst being snarky… Not saying it should be that way, just thinking such a thing could be fitting in the right hands if the idea is to translate the general tone of the films and not just an appropriation of the IP because it’ll sell on name recognition.