New Jumanji Movie Will Be a "Continuation," Not a Remake

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Jumanji Movie Will Be a "Continuation," Not a Remake

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1345/1345010.jpg

The upcoming Jumanji film will be a sequel, not a remake, according to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson took to Instagram recently to update fans on his super, super busy schedule - and that included a a brief touch on the upcoming Jumanji film that he will be starring in. Despite having the same name as the 1995 Robin Williams classic, Johnson says that the film would not be a remake, as many had assumed. Instead, it will be a "continuation."

"...in two weeks I'll reunite with ol' friends Kevin Hart & Jack Black and we have the honor to introduce a whole new generation to the amazing world of Jumanji," Johnson wrote [https://www.instagram.com/p/BJTMZqIDCCA/], adding "for the record we are NOT making a reboot, but rather a continuation of the awesome Jumanji story."

Jumanji is just one in a string of classic films getting the modern Hollywood touch, including recently released Ghostbusters and Ben-Hur, along with upcoming It, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Clue (poor Tim Curry...) and recently announced The Rocketeers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168052-The-Rocketeer-is-Getting-a-Reboot-Sequel], which will also serve as a continuation of its predecessor.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
How do you make a sequel to a good but probably not that remembered film from 20 years ago?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Worgen said:
How do you make a sequel to a good but probably not that remembered film from 20 years ago?
More importantly...why?
I remember the cartoon series more than the actual movie and while both were decent they weren't great. Has it reached the point where they;'re now dredging up the C-list stuff? Actually, maybe this is a good thing. A remake of Critters would be fairly boss as would a retooling of Puppet Master, maybe even The Stuff.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Bindal said:
If it's not a remake, then call it "Jumanji 2".
Why bother? I doubt the plot will be super dependent on the first film, yet calling it a sequel in the title implies to new viewers that it is.

Plenty of younger people aren't going to bother watching a 20+ year old movie to catch up and will just pass on a sequel to something they haven't seen. This way, they get those people and the older people.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
While I suppose it's possible to do a continuation of Jumanji (given that the movie ended with them trying to get rid of it and turning up again, so really, the only thing that needs to return if you're going to try and make a franchise out of it is the game itself), what are they actually going to do? Are they going to just retread the original plot? Jumanji is an idea that's basically going to just be the same thing with a bunch of arbitrary differences. Sure, you can change the stories characters and their arcs around, and what comes out of the game can be different, but at the end of the day, every Jumanji movie is going to be just "People play game, jungle stuff comes out of it and makes a mess until they finish it and then everything goes back to normal." Is that really a set-up that can carry a franchise? Hell, is that even a set-up that can even carry a sequel? It feels like no matter what you do with follow-up films, you're basically going to have seen everything you need to see in the first movie and anything further is just a waste of time.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
While the original film and idea are both something i love, and while i hardly have much or even any childhood to cherish; this sequel-make is more a reminder of frequent existential despair mixed with the crushing entropy of love combined and effortlessly materialised, masquerading in entertainment form.

Gone...Is poor talented Robin Williams, replaced by the ever so meh reality of Dwayne J and his millenial popularity with land-urchins, and Kevin Hart, who is...a person. Will it be the rock kicking ass in good old American fashion as Hart overreacts to everything like a watered down Rush Hour again?
Gone...Is the childish wonder of wild discovery and David Attenborough escapades, replaced by, well, an attempt at the same perhaps, but the environment is different now for kids with internet information addiction and modern movie-scapes. You need to up the game, maybe set it in space with aliens and space adventures...yeah, do that!
Will there be real or CGI animals? Oh dear...Mortality is creeping in. You can't make me have kids, life! I refuse to play your childish games!

I need a drink...

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and The Rock.
Ugh, I guess without Robin Williams, one of the funniest people ever, you may as well go the opposite direction and cast the least funny people ever.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Sounds both pointless and awful. The only redeeming thing about this is that maybe they will re release the very awesome board game. Other than that, I think I will pass. :/

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Worgen said:
You call it Zathura and make it about a different game, or have it take place in France, or don't make it because it's unneeded.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Anti-American Eagle said:
Worgen said:
You call it Zathura and make it about a different game, or have it take place in France, or don't make it because it's unneeded.
Wasn't that more of a remake? Eventually same concept but different?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
SirSullymore said:
Bla bla bla, its a soft reboot and everyone knows it.
....There's nothing really to reboot. At the end of Jumanji, the board game was buried, waiting to be found again like it was at the start of the film.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Anti-American Eagle said:
Worgen said:
I actually liked Zathura more than Jumanji. I had completely forgotten the name of that movie until I read your comment. I really hated the monkeys with shotguns for some reason.
JCAll said:
Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and The Rock.
Ugh, I guess without Robin Williams, one of the funniest people ever, you may as well go the opposite direction and cast the least funny people ever.
I found Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart to have pretty good chemistry in Central Intelligence. I can't say I've seen Jack Black be funny in a while.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I thought we had Zathura for this. I personally don't need another Jumanji, I love the original too much.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Jumanji 2 already exists, it was called Zathura. Not a bad film if you haven't seen it by the way :)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I'm starting to think hollywood kidnapped the number 2 and is holding it hostage in some basement somewhere.

Seriously is annoying when you have to specify the friggin year date of the film you want to see because a later sequel was too edgy to use numbers and has the same name as the original.

Note to self: go check out Zathura based on comments in this thread

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Zathura can hardly be called a remake of Jumanji, as both works are adapted from novels by the same author.