New Luigi's Mansion Title is Coming... to Arcades

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Luigi's Mansion Title is Coming... to Arcades

The Luigi's Mansion arcade edition will be a light-gun port of Luigi's Mansion 2.

Back in November last year, eagle-eyed Japanese arcade fans spotted these mysterious Luigi's Mansion 2 [http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/4/7157753/luigis-mansion-arcade-nintendo-capcom] (or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon depending on your location).

The game will feature a controller shaped like Luigi's signature vacuum cleaner, which you will shake to catch ghosts. Just like the original games, you'll also be able to discover hidden items around the level to increase your score. The cabinet itself features a 55 inch screen, and has some special lighting effects.

[gallery=3769]

Gloomy Mansion is the only level that has been seen so far, but we can assume that all of Luigi's Mansion 2's levels will make it in there. Also, you'll only get to see Luigi himself in cut-scenes, as the game will take place from a first person perspective.

If you're in Japan, the game is getting Japan Amusement Expo [http://www.capcom.co.jp/arcade/luigimansion-ac/]. There's no word on when (or if) this one will make its way stateside, but it may hopefully pave the way for a Wii U Luigi's Mansion port.

It seems very odd that SEGA is announcing the game, since it seems to be developed as a collaboration between Capcom and Nintendo. It'll also be on display in the SEGA area for the Japan Amusement Expo. Strange.

Source: NeoGAF [http://am-show.sega.jp/jaepo15/lineup_luigimansionac.html]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It would be neat if they made a Wii U port with Wiimote support. Arcades aren't exactly in high demand in many places outside of Japan. Though, it would be great if the cabinets were imported for movie theater arcades. After the Soul Calibur 2 cabinet was removed from my local cinema, I saw no reason to go to the arcade on my break, when I was the cinema industry's pawn.

Also, Sega might have been brought in to help make some of the cabinets. Capcom has been so busy trying to destroy most of their franchises, foolishly sue everyone that looks at them funny and piss away what money they have left that they may not have the resources to makes the necessary units. Also, I believe Nintendo has been very active with arcades, even within their home country, for a long time, but that's just my own speculation.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
"It seems very odd that SEGA is announcing the game, since it seems to be developed as a collaboration between Capcom and Nintendo."

Yeah, I guess it is pretty weird for the biggest arcade machine manufacturer to make an arcade machine for two companies who haven't been in arcades since the 80's and 90's.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I'm a little bit surprised this hasn't been done sooner. Luigi's Mansion is a perfect game for these kinds of controls.

*...Please release a Wii U port, please release a Wii U port, please release a Wii U port...*

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
It seems very odd that SEGA is announcing the game, since it seems to be developed as a collaboration between Capcom and Nintendo.
Now see, this line right here is making me think, at least to myself: "Maybe by next Generation, Nintendo, Sega and Capcom will unite into one big powerhouse of a company." That'd be really neat.

OT: That sounds fun, but I wish it would be on the WiiU instead...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
When was the last time Nintendo made an arcade game? It think it has been decades...

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
Not a port. Completely different gameplay- it's a new game reusing assets from another game.

That's like calling Links Crossbow Training a Wii port of the GCN version of Twilight princess.

Also, Nintendo has been consistently active in the arcade scene in japan.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
It's been 10 years since Mario Kart GP, but we do have the Pokemon fighting arcade game coming (or Japan does anyway). I can see Hyrule Warriors working in an arcade setting, and I'd like to see an F-Zero game in the arcade, but we get Luigi . . . sigh.

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
ryukage_sama said:
It's been 10 years since Mario Kart GP, but we do have the Pokemon fighting arcade game coming (or Japan does anyway). I can see Hyrule Warriors working in an arcade setting, and I'd like to see an F-Zero game in the arcade, but we get Luigi . . . sigh.
F-zero was an arcade game... -_-

Why did I sign up to this forum, 2 days in and I'm already facepalming.

Bunch of casual plebs.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
whereswarren said:
ryukage_sama said:
F-zero was an arcade game... -_-

Why did I sign up to this forum, 2 days in and I'm already facepalming.

Bunch of casual plebs.
I stand by what I said. I would like to SEE an F-Zero game in an arcade. In the 11 years that AX has been out, I've never seen a cabinet. The odds of randomly coming across one aren't getting any better.

But go ahead and feel smug that other people are inferior for not being aware of a rare machine with only ~20 English language units in the entire continental US. Have fun with that.