New Mario Maker Footage Shows Mario 3, World, Cuteness

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
New Mario Maker Footage Shows Mario 3, World, Cuteness

In addition to making retro Super Mario Bros. levels, Nintendo's Mario Maker allows you to create stages inspired by Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

When I last saw Mario Maker at E3 2014 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11672-Mario-Maker-Hands-On-LittleBigPlumber], I was pretty pleased with how it was coming along, though only being able to use the retro Super Mario Bros. or shiny new New Super Mario Bros. games to set the stage for my level designs was a bit limiting. At tonight's Game Awards, Shigeru Miyamoto capped off a Nintendo-filled intro by showing some new Mario Maker footage (it starts at about 3:52 in the embedded video), and wow, it's come a long way in a short time.

As you can see, Mario Maker has branched out in the six months since E3--Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World have been added to the mix, providing even more options for level-building.

Mario Maker is due out for the Wii U in 2015, which will also mark the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. In related news, you're really old.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Man, I love Reggie and Miyamoto. Every time they show up I'm just so happy.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I laughed a few times at these unique graphical (paratroopa's wings falling) and obstacle-based changes (bullet bill blasters shooting exploding spinies and coins). I can't wait to see what people make of them and maybe use them myself.
Yan007 said:
Man, I love Reggie and Miyamoto. Every time they show up I'm just so happy.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I can't help seeing this as a kind of "Fuck it, we're done, make your own damn Mario games now. 3D version's probably in a year or two."

Is it overly optimistic to think they'll flat-out quit making Mario altogether in the next few years, eventually doing the same with every franchise they've squeezed the life out of? (though I don't remember if "Find bits of the Triforce in space" has been done yet)

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Hmm.. reggie looks so perma angry with his frowny face. As if he would even shout at you at the top of his lungs when complimenting you for something.

As for the game... yeah its a super mario level editor... whoopeee... if you run out of ideas.. just give a level editor to people to make their own fun was the thought behind it. Or someone at nintendo watched these insane difficulty custom made super mario world level letsplays.