New Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Invites Gamers to Join the Andromeda Initiative

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Invites Gamers to Join the Andromeda Initiative

The latest trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda wants fans to sign up for updates, and suggests the game takes place 600 years from now.

There's a new trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda, and it not only wants gamers to sign up for "critical mission information," it also suggest a timeline for the upcoming game. The trailer opens with a shot of Earth taken from the moon, with a voice over extolling exploration and preparing "ourselves for a future beyond the Milky Way." That future "begins 600 years from where we stand," apparently.

To join The Andromeda Initiative, all you need to do is to go over to the game's official website [https://www.masseffect.com/newsletter?utm_campaign=mea_hd_ww_ic_ic_yt_mea-ainewsletter-yt&utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&cid=25657&ts=1478020633549] and sign up. The site says that those who sign up will "be among the first contacted to receive critical mission information, special training opportunities, and will also be eligible for reward upon program completion. Orientation begins Nov. 7."

November 7 is N7 Day, of course. Bioware has previously teased an announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168372-New-4K-Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Shots-Released-Alongside-N7-Day-Tease] for this year, so it's likely this Andromeda Initiative ties into it.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is set for release this spring on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Damn, that's like 400-500 years after the first trilogy. Quite a leap.

Anyway, I'm really not fond of these kind of participatory advertising. Because let's be real; that's all it really is. Whipping up a cool sounding thing just to make us buy the game.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Another inspirational speech trailer that showed nothing at all, but if Clancy Brown is indeed doing VA for the game I will take that as good news.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Diablo2000 said:
Another inspirational speech trailer that showed nothing at all, but if Clancy Brown is indeed doing VA for the game I will take that as good news.
I was going to say. Everything is improved by having Clancy Brown involved.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Ugh... Fuck hype and 'involved' marketing. Just show us some proper gameplay already.

I still like the suit designs, though, so, erm, great.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Clive Howlitzer said:
Diablo2000 said:
I was going to say. Everything is improved by having Clancy Brown involved.
He might actually make me interested in play ME again

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, it's better than the Infinite Warfare "let's go to space" trailer at least.

From the looks of it though, it seems that the Tempest leaves Earth before the Reapers invade, in which case, um, directors of the Andromeda Initiative? I like your passion, but the Milky Way is big, okay? I don't think we need to expand to another galaxy anytime soon.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Unfortunately, no amount of marketing can make this game magically not be made by Bioware and EA, so I'm afraid this trailer is wasted on me.

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
"This path began a long time ago. A course paved through human history that took us across continents, oceans and ultimately, to the stars. For us, this planet is home. It's protected us, challenged us and provided us with the foundation to become galactic citizens."

I love how much love this preview gives to Earth despite the fact that Earth's role in Mass Effect was almost completely non-existent till it was shoe-horned in as the planet that needed rescuing in the third game. Two out of three origins for Shepard doesn't even have them coming from Earth, and the one origin that does describes Earth being such a bad place that Shepard joined the Alliance Military just to get away from it. So yeah, the first Mass Effect game already accomplished what this preview is trying to convey. Leaving the comforts of humanity's home to take part in a larger setting.

"So we issue this call to the brave, the inquisitive, to the trailblazers of the human race as an invitation to stand on the shoulders of those who came before and challenge yourself to go further."

When I played the first Mass Effect game, there were humans who belonged to an organization called 'Terra Firma'. Their whole stance was to ensure that humanity stands against the 'alien influences' of the Citadel races. This preview is so human centric that it almost feels like Terra Firma succeeded in ensuring that humanity's best interests lies within itself and should not involve any other alien species. This invitation is very specific with regards to who it's meant for.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Damn, that's like 400-500 years after the first trilogy. Quite a leap.
Presumably the travel time to the Andromeda Galaxy and to distance it from Shepard and chums as much as possible.

I would prefer Mass Effect 4 to star Shepard and take place immediately after the Destroy Ending. The first scene should be Shep breaking it to Joker that yes, they killed EDI and no, his father and sister didn't make it off Tiptree. That would set the tone quite nicely.

I'm still wondering how this game will be received, Mass Effect is so much about it's characters it's a huge risk to start again with a new crew.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Silentpony said:
Unless you have Tali and Liara beckoning me forward, I ain't interested.
It is still possible for Liara to be in this one in some form or another.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
With any luck, November 7th will bring some actual information about this goddamn game. I'd normally be the first to openly drool all over the prospect of a brand new Mass Effect, but even I've been struggling to maintain my fanboy hype when the advertising thus far has been a smattering of incredibly vague statements mostly saying "Ooooh boy! You guys are going to love what we're making! We can't show you anything at all because reasons, but just trust us!".

Jeyl said:
When I played the first Mass Effect game, there were humans who belonged to an organization called 'Terra Firma'. Their whole stance was to ensure that humanity stands against the 'alien influences' of the Citadel races. This preview is so human centric that it almost feels like Terra Firma succeeded in ensuring that humanity's best interests lies within itself and should not involve any other alien species. This invitation is very specific with regards to who it's meant for.
Really? I got the impression this is a rousing speech to the human recruits of a human expedition, calling on the finest traditions of our past as intrepid explorers to prepare them for the greatest undertaking yet; no "HUMANITY FIRST!!!" vibes here, at least not to me. I mean, they're hardly going to whip up fervour with a xenocentric view of things are they?

"This path began a long time ago, paved through human history that took us across continents, oceans and ultimately the stars. Granted, each and every Citadel race was building space stations while we were trying to discover why our teeth kept falling out over two week journeys, but still. For us, this planet is home, but compared to Thessia or Palaven, it's an uncultured, weakling-infested dump. It's protected us, challenged us and provided us with the foundation to become galactic citizens, even though it doesn't produce half as much as any other alien world. Now the time has come to prepare ourselves for a future beyond the Milky Way, a future that begins six hundred years from where we stand, in a time and place among unknown stars and unseen dangers, but always in the shadow of the spacefaring races who've beaten us there several times over. And so we issue this call, to the brave, the inquisitive, to the trailblazers of the human race: I wish we weren't humans."

(Also: no Terra Firma descendent would ever dream of aspiring to be a mere galactic citizen!)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Is there something wrong with me? Because I watched the trailer and all I cared about was the following:

-The LEM is wrong. The upper part was the return section, which tool the astronauts back to the orbiting command module. Only the leg section stayed where it landed.

-The earth looks way too big. Yes, the earth is bigger then the moon but not that big.

-The Orbiting ship looks like it's a really, really low orbit around the moon(but in that case it should be visibly moving across the sky, not hanging there). Or it's just really, really big and hanging in near geosynchronous orbit.

Maybe it's because the trailer told us all of jack squat about what the game is about so I end up nitpicking, because I'm pretty sure it's not about hunting whales on the moon.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lets see what reviews will be like once its out. in case we will have a crappy ending again.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Metalrocks said:
lets see what reviews will be like once its out. in case we will have a crappy ending again.
"You finished the game and saved andromeda! But that doesnt mean that the adventure has to end here! Look forward to buying additional DLC that was totaly not cut out of the game to be sold to you seperately later!"

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Just here to say that Bioware / EA won't be forgiven until this:

fix-the-spade said:
I would prefer Mass Effect 4 to star Shepard and take place immediately after the Destroy Ending. The first scene should be Shep breaking it to Joker that yes, they killed EDI and no, his father and sister didn't make it off Tiptree. That would set the tone quite nicely.

frak ME Andromenda all the way 'till there!