New Mass Effect Novel Coming This Fall

Saintcole

Mar 24, 2010
The new guy has mediocre books, sc2 heavens devils and halo the flood were average books at best so it will be interesting to see what he does with ME.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Read the 3 books. They're fast reads and, although shallow, they're good enough to while the time away and learn more about the ME universe. And enjoy the straightforward characterisation of the heroes of course.

It's all good fun.

Not like when I was young. All we had back then was the description of Star Wars on the back of the cereal box, and you had to read it backwards with a stupid decoder ring just to understand it.

In the dark!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I loved the first two books, the third one I liked a little less, because it didn't so deepen it much as it just well...almost re-hashed already known elements from before in a way.

A new writer though is intriguing. Does he have any relation to Bioware or did they just reach out to him for this I wonder...either way, I'm sure to pick this up so thanks for the tip.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Is this 'radical group' by any chance named Psi Corp? I'm sorry, but Bioware's recent titles never really struck me as terribly 'completely original'.

I never really liked book tie-ins for games. It's not so fun when you pick up a sequel only to find out a bunch of new things have happened in-between, and that your past actions have been altered to fit the new 'canon'. It's happened in an unfortunate number of bioware series that I have played in the past, and I think I remember hearing about something similar happening to Skyrim.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Dietz is an okay writer, but then again so was Karpyshyn. I was hoping for an original plotline though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
scnj said:
That's fine. Karpyshyn's a solid game writer, but his prose can be a little bland. I look forward to see what someone else can bring to the table.
While I agree I hope we won't be losing out on his insight into the characters he made... especially considering this book focuses on Gillian. And I'd imagine it's going to be challenging to write Gillian as the main protagonist considering she's autistic, so hopefully this new guy can do her justice.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
cynicalsaint1 said:
I've read all three so far.

They aren't all that great - I'd really only recommend reading them if you want to learn more about the ME universe, as they're pretty mediocre on their own merits.

If you are just looking for something to flesh out the ME universe beyond the games then by all means give them a shot. Retribution is my favorite so far as it gives you a first hand look at how Reaper in Indoctrination works. Revelation tells the story of what went down between Saren and Anderson prior to ME1 - but honestly kind of ruins Saren's character for me, because it makes him much less sympathetic, which kind of sucks in my opinion.
I never sympathised with him, the book just backed up my opinion of him.

D Moness said:
If it is still before the reaper invasion Gillian can not be much older then 14 or so.
Hope they delve a bit deeper into Quarian life.
My guess is she'll be 16. I think she was 10 in the first book she was in and the next is set about 3 years later. This will probably be about 2-3 years again. They give a bit of a view on Quarians in the second novel, but not a lot and I wouldn't really expect much more in this one. All three books so far and by the sounds of it the fourth too, are all primarily about humanity.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Fappy said:
scnj said:
That's fine. Karpyshyn's a solid game writer, but his prose can be a little bland. I look forward to see what someone else can bring to the table.
While I agree I hope we won't be losing out on his insight into the characters he made... especially considering this book focuses on Gillian. And I'd imagine it's going to be challenging to write Gillian as the main protagonist considering she's autistic, so hopefully this new guy can do her justice.
Karpyshyn is still lead writer on the franchise, so I'd imagine everything has to get his final approval anyway.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
D Moness said:
If it is still before the reaper invasion Gillian can not be much older then 14 or so.
Hope they delve a bit deeper into Quarian life.
My guess is she'll be 16. I think she was 10 in the first book she was in and the next is set about 3 years later. This will probably be about 2-3 years again. They give a bit of a view on Quarians in the second novel, but not a lot and I wouldn't really expect much more in this one. All three books so far and by the sounds of it the fourth too, are all primarily about humanity.
The second novel (the first she is in) tells her age. She is 12 years in that book. Since the third book is 3 years later she is 15 in that ... i miscalcuted the first time i see >.<.
well 15/16 is possible if it still is before the reaper invasion.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, here's some fun news:
Upon finding this info out, I went to add it to the Mass Effect wiki, but the plot info got promptly deleted since the Escapist isn't a valid source. (it's since been re-added it seems probably since the info popped up on a more 'reputable' [I hope I spelled that right] site)

That's what this one wiki dip has to say anyway. (I'm always having the same problem with the same guy. I was able to get Christina Norman to back me once since he kept deleting this one fact about Shepard that he insisted wasn't fact when it was in fact true.)

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
Oroboros" post="7.275369.10676626 said:
Is this 'radical group' by any chance named Psi Corp? I'm sorry, but Bioware's recent titles never really struck me as terribly 'completely original'.

Babylon 5 was awesoooome!
It's possible that they could be referring to this side quest in the original Mass Effect where you have to go to this cult of biotics who have kidnapped some sort of politician. There's the choices whether to go rambo on their cult/terrorist/criminal asses (gets the hostage killed), be diplomatic and save the politician, and a third choice that I forget.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I haven't "read" the books, i've listened to the unabriged IBooks on my Ipad when i'm a work. I really liked them. Even the 3rd, dispite the fact it seems to be the least well recieved. Don't ask me why...

I'm hopping this one will brough to audio book format too, it's great to listen to audio novels when your grinding away at your job. Makes all the data entry i do go by MUCH faster.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
I Think the Reason Karpynsh isn't taking the main active roll is hes working on SWTOR, plus i havn't read any of this new guys work but I've heard he's awful. and so Gillian who autistic and the second? most powerful human biotic after Subject Zero (Jack) or is she better, who has been living with the Quarians as its the safest place away from Cerb (Apart from when Sheapard with a Cerb Ship and Crew can on board with tali). falls in with a bad group who think Biotics are the future, TIM and Cerb will obviously involved hes on the front page. its promising having a main protagonist as autistic might be awkward, unless this guy ret-cons that. i think we shouldn't consider this cannon yet. ill end up buying it and if its terrible ill get rid of it and hate this guy more then i hate Marmite