New Max Payne 3 Trailer Shows Off Seamless, Cinematic Gameplay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Max Payne 3 Trailer Shows Off Seamless, Cinematic Gameplay

Max Payne 3 will be a "uniquely cinematic action game" that transitions from cut scenes to action and chapter to chapter without ever showing a loading screen.

Are you unhappy with Max Payne 3's move away from the noir foundations of the first two games? Then watch this trailer. It probably won't do anything change your mind about the whole noir thing but it just might overload you with so much awesome that you stop caring.

Phrases like "presentation innovations" may not get anyone's blood pumping, but seeing it in action is a whole different situation. The between-chapter transitions in the game look brilliant, as does the new take on the graphic novel-style storyboards that moved the plot ahead in the first two games. I loved that aspect of the originals and hate to see it go, but the new system looks very promising.

That's really my take on the entire game at this point: The first two Max Payne [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-The-Fall/dp/B0000D12XI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331832419&sr=8-10] games are among my favorites and I reflexively disliked the idea of messing with the formula, but the more I see of Max Payne 3, the more I like it. At this point, I expect nothing short of greatness.

Max Payne 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-3-Xbox-360/dp/B0022TNO7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331832419&sr=8-1] comes out on May 15 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and May 29 for the PC.

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
The more trailers come out, the more I start to look over other changes aswell. And hell, There's still a lot left to learn about this game, so many fears could still just be unfounded. I'm not holding my breath until the reviews come out. Until then, I'll just play a lot of the first two.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
We'll always have Paris, but the idea that Max Payne 3 can be dramatically different and yet just as good, and a worthy addition to the franchise, is pretty exciting.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
We'll always have Paris, but the idea that Max Payne 3 can be dramatically different and yet just as good, and a worthy addition to the franchise, is pretty exciting.
How is it dramatically different? What I'm seeing, from everything, is a gradual evolution, but nothing dramatic. Everything from the gameplay to the narrative, based on what we've seen, fits perfectly with the old games. We still have the noir narrative, we still have the typical Max Payne gunplay, we still have the pills, you name it.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
I think I just had a nerdgasm.

Seriously, the way that the technology at Rockstar's disposal is incorporated is just incredible. The graphics haven't actually been given a major overhaul, just modernised and given more colour.

Lets hope against hope that they can deliver a top-notch story (although, with James McCaffery's voice, anything can sound good). This is set to be a good game, at least technologically.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Cowabungaa said:
Andy Chalk said:
How is it dramatically different? What I'm seeing, from everything, is a gradual evolution, but nothing dramatic. Everything from the gameplay to the narrative, based on what we've seen, fits perfectly with the old games. We still have the noir narrative, we still have the typical Max Payne gunplay, we still have the pills, you name it.
It's not in New York City, Max isn't a cop and Mona isn't there. (Presumably.) In terms of gameplay it looks very similar but the whole "New York cop on the edge" thing was a bit part of the package.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Cowabungaa said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's not in New York City, Max isn't a cop and Mona isn't there. (Presumably.) In terms of gameplay it looks very similar but the whole "New York cop on the edge" thing was a bit part of the package.
Superficial differences. Everything below the surface that made Max Payne Max Payne is still there. His character is, from what we've seen, completely in line with the previous games, as in that it's a natural evolution thereof. The setting and narrative is too. Sao Paolo is a pretty logical choice really.

Also, haven't you payed attention? It's been known already that MP3 will be set in New York, partially, to show why he left. As for Mona, that's anyone's guess.

It seems that a lot of people just seem to want a Max Payne 2 re-skin or something. One moment gamers complain a series grows stale, the other they complain a game is not the same enough...sheesh.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The game is looking pretty good so far. I might have to splurge and get the special edition when it comes out. Has RockStar stated why the PC version is getting released two weeks later?

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
See, this is why I don't pay attention to games until they come out. Now I'm interested, and I have to buy this. Thanks.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Meh, I don't like the cover combat that I saw in there. Too much of it for a Max Payne game. Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly fine with cover combat in most games, but for Max Payne, it just feels... wrong. Also, those "comic-book style cutscenes" look like crap. Though it is nice how they have a smooth transition to gameplay, so I guess I can't complain all that much.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
It looks cool and all, but those words flying across the screen...didn`t really like those, to be honest.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I still think this game may be good, but I think that in spite of the trailers rather than because of them. They always seem to somehow make it sound like something that has existed for decades is a new and amazing thing that was created specifically for it. This trailer hit a new low when it stopped a trailer about how it loads cutscenes the same way the N64 did to get us excited over the fact that different weapons take different amounts of time to reload.